Profile for John > Reviews

AKG Q701 Quincy Jones Signature Line Reference-Class Premium Headphones - Black
AKG Q701 Quincy Jones Signature Line Reference-Class Premium Headphones - Black
Offered by V-BASKET
Price: 220.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality is pretty good but the ridges of the headband dig into ..., 12 July 2014
Sound quality is pretty good but the ridges of the headband dig into the top of my head after a while and they become very uncomfortable to wear.

Transcend HUB3 4-port USB Hub - USB3.0 - with power supply
Transcend HUB3 4-port USB Hub - USB3.0 - with power supply
Offered by MemoryC
Price: 17.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned items with wrong plug supplied twice!, 31 May 2014
I'm sure the product is ok but I didn't get to try it as they sent me one with the wrong (Continental two pin) plug which I duly returned and they then sent me another with a two pin plug. It says clearly in the description that a UK plug is supplied. What a waste of my time - really annoyed at Amazon about this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2014 11:45 AM BST

Kensington Comfort Foam Keyboard Wrist Rest - Black
Kensington Comfort Foam Keyboard Wrist Rest - Black
Price: 6.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Wristrest, 3 May 2014
I but these wristrests because I like the fabric cover that enables me to slide my hands along it, unlike the gel variety. I like the height as I need to get my hands high enough to type on a laptop keyboard because I suffer from a form of muscular that leaves my arms and hands weak. I would prefer just a straight surface rather than this knobbly version though.

Parallel Text: French Short Stories: Nouvelles Francaises: 2
Parallel Text: French Short Stories: Nouvelles Francaises: 2
Price: 4.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the paperback not Kindle version, 14 Feb 2014
Great stories but I didn't realise that Kindle only puts the translation at the end of each story which isn't much use. The paperback version has it on the facing page.

Minicute Right Handed Vertical Mouse 2nd Ergonomic Wrist Free pain Wireless Vertical Mouse
Offered by Frlife
Price: 65.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 8 Aug 2013
To be fair it wasn't designed for someone like me with weak hands from muscular dystrophy. I should have bought a wired mouse - because I dropped it when I went too close to the edge of the table, and it stopped working shortly after, even with new batteries. I'm still trying to find a mouse that works for me.

Mehaz Professional Wide Jaw Slant Edge Toenail Clipper
Mehaz Professional Wide Jaw Slant Edge Toenail Clipper
Offered by Live Salon
Price: 9.70

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says, 6 July 2013
This is a very useful product for me because I have weak hands due to muscular dystrophy and this will keep me from having to get a podiatrist in for a while longer. I have to be careful though because it is so sharp, but I'm getting used to it.

Sennheiser PC363D Surround Sound Gaming Over-Ear Headset
Sennheiser PC363D Surround Sound Gaming Over-Ear Headset
Price: 209.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 16 Jun 2013
I bought these as a replacement for a cheaper pair of Sennheisers. I really wanted something that is good for music and for voice recognition software, but they only seem to have gaming headsets at the higher end. The microphone on these isn't much use for voice recognition. I get all kinds of popping noises and it is too big to fit one of the little sleeves over the end of it. It is also difficult to adjust the microphone so that it is at the side of my mouth. I find them quite comfortable although my ears get hot after a while. They are tight and tricky to put on and there is no way of loosening them. The music reproduction is excellent but not that much better than my other cheaper pair of Sennheisers, so I have gone back to using them, because the voice typing requirement is more important. A waste of money for me.

Toshiba Qosmio X770-107 17.3 inch (Intel Core i7-2630QM, RAM 8GB, HDD 500GB Hybrid + 500GB, Windows7 Home Premium, Harman Kardon speakers, Bluetooth, Blu-ray, Graphics Card)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but disappointed with sound card, 28 Feb 2012
I bought this as my old P300 Toshiba was getting a bit slow for the Second Life program that I use a lot. I also use Dragon Voice Recognition software, and that puts a heavy load on any computer. It has a really good graphics card and fast processor that sails through anything I ask of it. I run two HD screens with no problems. Unfortunately it had one major letdown for me - plugging a headset straight into the jacks provided did not provide adequate sound quality to even train Dragon voice software. This worked perfectly on my old P300 so I was disappointed and surprised at this. Toshiba rep said there was nothing wrong with the computer and problem was with Dragon software, but it worked perfectly with old computer. I finished up having to buy an external USB soundcard. I was also disappointed the laptop did not do any better than the old computer with voice recognition in Second Life, but that is a fault with the viewer(s) I guess.

Dragon Gaming Speech Pack
Dragon Gaming Speech Pack
Price: 75.25

2.0 out of 5 stars second life speech, 8 April 2011
I bought this product in the hope that it would improve text accuracy in the second life chat window using voice typing. I have muscular dystrophy so my fingers and hands are quite weak and get tired from long periods of typing, and I make a lot of errors. I have used versions nine and 10 of Dragon quite successfully except that a lot of letters are dropped out in the second life chat window.

I had a bad experience trying to install this program because it wasn't compatible with my oldish version of Microsoft office, and would only install by editing the registry, not something I am too keen to do. The gaming speech Pack was a total disaster. It wouldn't let me type anything at all in the second life chat window.I had to uninstall it and re-install the Dragon programme again to be able to chat. I would say from typing in other applications like Word that this version does seem to be more accurate, but it certainly does not improve my typing ability in second life- letters still got dropped out. It might be that I need a faster processor although I have a 2.4 GHz dual core CPU.

Overall I was very disappointed. This was partly due to the lack of information about the product. The technical adviser I contacted had not even heard about the gaming speech pack and was surprised that I thought that the Dragon product would be integrated with second life.