Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

NEW COLORADO 6FT GREEN CHRISTMAS TREE WITH 604 TIPS
NEW COLORADO 6FT GREEN CHRISTMAS TREE WITH 604 TIPS
Offered by Garden Store Direct Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking good, 7 Nov. 2013
Ordered 5 Nov arrived 7 Nov! Assembled it quickly just to check ok so can't obviously say what it will look like with the decorations on but from what I can see so far it looks a lovely tree and I imagine when all the branches are pulled out and decs are on it will look very realistic. So far so good.

Apple iPod 20GB with Click Wheel - 4th Generation [M9282B/A]
Apple iPod 20GB with Click Wheel - 4th Generation [M9282B/A]

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint-hearted..., 6 Sept. 2004
I got a 20GB iPod for my birthday in July and only yesterday, in nearly mid-September, did I manage to get it working. I've had so many problems with it, I'm beginning to wonder whether it really is worth the money and hassle...
PROS:
-- Obviously, it looks lovely! If you just want to look good, this is your kind of player.
-- To be able to store up to 10,000 songs at any time is amazing, especially in such a small gadget. No need to carry hundreds of bulky CDs around with me or look daft with a huge player sticking out of my trouser pocket.
CONS:
-- Where do I start? The first problem I encountered was Windows compatability. The manual recommends either Windows 2000 service pack 4 or XP. Initially running 2000 Pro, I downloaded service pack 4 from the Windows website. It proceeded to crash my computer and, in the end, I had to wipe the drive completely and start all over again. Please - I can't stress this enough - DO NOT DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 2000 SERVICE PACK 4!! It will ruin your computer - check out the user comments at any software site.
-- So I started afresh, now with Windows XP installed (more £££'s). I now found the PC wasn't registering my iPod and the USB cable was "malfunctioning." So, although the manual says USB 2.0 will do the job (but clearly it was doing no such thing), I installed a Firewire port (£££'s).
-- After months of problems, surely nothing else could go wrong... I was, of course, wrong. Apple had one more trick up their sleeve - iTunes. I downloaded the software from the Apple website and, the day after, suddenly discovered that my PC wasn't detecting either of my CD drives!! I'd downloaded a lot of programs that day, but through process of elimination, I figured it was iTunes that was the problem. I uninstalled, restarted, and my drives magically appeared again! I installed iTunes again with the supplied CD and, FINALLY, almost three months later, everything is working fine!
I have nearly finished importing my entire CD collection to the iPod - things are looking up. My only real concern still is the battery, which seems to be draining rather too quickly (another thing Apple doesn't tell you in the blurb - the batteries run dead after about a year and you have to send your iPod off for another - more £££'s!).
I spent £280 on my iPod, including a USB/Firewire cable (buy it with the iPod!!!) and a earphone splitter. I probably spent another £100+ adapting my (initially perfect) PC. Given my birthday again, I certainly would not have asked for an iPod!
Just check out the Apple iPod discussion forums (another thing - support for Windows users really is abismal) for a taster of some of the problems iPod users have.
If you don't like hassle, are running anything lower than WinXP, or are not very computer literate, please - do yourself a favour and don't buy an iPod. If you really MUST buy one - make sure you have WinXP, a firewire port, a USB/firewire cable, and a damn good local PC store.
Still got a heck of a long way to go, Apple...

Return To Me (2000) [DVD]
Return To Me (2000) [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Duchovny
Offered by Discs4all

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so, 6 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Return To Me (2000) [DVD] (DVD)
The script isn't bad, I'll give it that. And both the leads, Duchovny and Driver, try extremely hard with it and nearly succeed in making this an above-average film. However, the direction is truly poor (film students: want an example of bad directing? Watch this) and it has to be said that the entire film is one big cheese fest.
Overall, it kept me watching - there was the odd moment (ie, the hairy legs conversation or the slapping scene) - but not enough to make me buy this. For serious chick-flickers only.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2015 8:27 PM GMT

Smack The Pony: The Best Of [DVD]
Smack The Pony: The Best Of [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sally Phillips
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone with a sense of humour, 8 Jan. 2004
Hilarious. Absolutely, side-splittingly, one hundred percent hilarious. This is a DVD I can watch again and again and laugh louder than all the times before.
For anyone with a sense of humour - especially fans of Python, Fast Show, Little Britain and Big Train.

Small Time Obsession [2000] [DVD]
Small Time Obsession [2000] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alex King

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best impulse-buys I have ever made, 8 Jan. 2004
In short:
An excellent film. The plot is about as structured as the Tory party - but this is an all-round winner. The acting, writing, directing and use of music is just stunning.
Serious advice to ignore the summary on the back of the DVD. Makes no sense whatsoever and does not do justice to the film at all - basically, all you need to know, is that this film is about a group of friends in a London Polish community, most of whom are involved in petty crime and dodgy relationships.
Sounds crap, I know. But it's one of the best films I have ever seen and certainly the impulse-buy of the year for me.
This puts Lock Stock to shame. Buy it now (and look out for Kirsten Parker - star of the future, surely?!).

Laundrettes and Lovers
Laundrettes and Lovers
by WorkingTitleFilms

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 8 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Laundrettes and Lovers (Hardcover)
A wonderful history of what is, surely, one of the most successful British film companies ever.
Absolutely stunning pictures, worth the price for those alone. Interviews with directors, company bigwigs, writers, producers, costume designers and actors. Whole sections dedicated to each Working Title film.
Personally, I think the RRP at £30 is a bit pricy, which is why I've only given it four stars. However, Amazon's £21 is serious bargain money and makes this book a must-have addition to any shelf! Also, all profits go to Comic Relief which is a thumbs up from me any day.
Unmissable for any fan of Notting Hill, Bridget, About a Boy, Thunderbirds, Love Actually, Four Weddings, Elizabeth, Ali G, Johnny English, The Tall Guy.....

Much Ado About Nothing [DVD] [1993]
Much Ado About Nothing [DVD] [1993]
Dvd ~ Kenneth Branagh

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest films ever made, 16 Sept. 2002
I first saw Much Ado at the theatre, by the RSC, and fell in love with the play straight away. I'm no Shakespeare genius, before then I was largely uninterested, but this changed my mind completely!
I do recommend you see this on the stage first, it really does bring it to life and does give you a good introduction to the story. The film is fantastic, on a par with the RSC's production - it is easy to follow, funny, romantic, almost believable and just brilliant! If you, like me, are a sucker for romantic comedies then this is the film for you!
I have no end of praise for this film. Kenneth Branagh is, as always, a delight to watch. Emma Thompson's performance is just wonderful, she portrays Beatrice very well. I had my doubts about Denzel Washington before I saw it but, actually, he plays a marvellous Don Pedro after all. Micheal Keaton, although it may take a few viewings to grasp his accent, is hilarious and even Keanu Reeves, as the evil Don John, manages to pull it off!
The only downside is the DVD, it has virtually no extras, not even subtitles - I'm hoping in a few years they may bring out another version - but even that can't overshadow the wonderful film.
It is one of my favourite films of all time and well worth the money. "And this... is my conclusion."

Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead [DVD]
Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead [DVD]
Dvd ~ Christina Applegate
Offered by FREETIME

3.0 out of 5 stars A classic, well worth the watch just for David Duchovny!, 19 Mar. 2002
A gentle comedy, this film is one of those great feel-good types that automatically make the world seem a better place (which can't be a bad thing).
It could have been shortened by about half an hour but it's still a classic - if you haven't seen this film, what are you waiting for?!
Also, David Duchovny (However short his appearance may be) is fi-ine in this!!!
Well worth the watch just for him if you are a DD fan.

Bob and Rose [2001] [VHS]
Bob and Rose [2001] [VHS]
VHS
Offered by pkeylock

5.0 out of 5 stars Who says the British can't write good drama?, 14 Mar. 2002
For six weeks, this superbly written and acted romantic comedy drama kept me on the edge of my seat. This is one of the best (and most under-rated) TV shows in a long time.
Jessica Stevenson, as per usual, gives an outstanding performance as Holly - I hated her guts but at the same time, she was just so loveable...
Alan Davis and Lesley Sharp create a constant air of sexual tension - at first, I thought that there would be no great spark between the two but after watching the first episode I was left quite amazed! They do make the sweetest couple and after all, it is called Bob and Rose.
Bob and Rose is a wonderful piece of work - I guarentee you will not be disappointed.