Profile for Prof D. Warren-piper > Reviews

Content by Prof D. Warren...

Prof D. Warren-piper (Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Complete Novels of George Eliot
The Complete Novels of George Eliot
Price: 1.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Life enhancing reading, 22 Jan 2014
I bought this because although I had read two or three George Eliot novels when I was young, there were several that I had not read. So I set about those. I was absolutely hooked and read five of them on the trot. Romola was a great revelation, quite unlike her other works. I have just recently come back to the collection to reread those that I read in my younger days. They are just wonderful

Nat Tate
Nat Tate
Price: 7.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Nat Tate (Kindle Edition)
Really this is a foot note to another novel. But William Boyd is such a good writer that it engaged me

The Last Sherlock Holmes Story
The Last Sherlock Holmes Story
Price: 2.39

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great, 22 Jan 2014
I enjoyed the cod victorian writing but I was hoping for a twist at the end other than the obvious.

The Fear Index
The Fear Index
Price: 3.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the best, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Fear Index (Kindle Edition)
Robert Harris is one of my favourite authors, so I read a book new to me with especial interest. As usual, this story bowls along at pace and is intriguing enough, but I guessed the mystery very early on in the piece. It is not up to the standard of Pompeii or An Officer and a Spy

A Rich Full Death
A Rich Full Death
Price: 4.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good as Zen, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Rich Full Death (Kindle Edition)
Well, it is OK and I did read it to the end. But it is not so good as the Zen novels. The two surprise endings enlivened it.

Morning Foods Mornflake Jumbo Oats 3 Kg (Pack of 4)
Morning Foods Mornflake Jumbo Oats 3 Kg (Pack of 4)
Price: 18.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Good taste in abundance, 10 Jan 2014
I ordered these jumbo oats when our local supermarket stopped stocking them. They make quite the best porridge. It was a rather heavy box and too much for the two of us, but then we have a large family who quickly took the extra packets away for themselves. It would be good if they came in half the amount.

Premier Housewares Glass Carafe and Tumbler Set
Premier Housewares Glass Carafe and Tumbler Set
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 10 Jan 2014
I bought this for an invalid who spends much time in bed. This product stays by her bedside. It is stable, holds the right amount of water and the glass fits the top of the flask to keep out the dust. It looks elegant too.

Playing Shakespeare (Performance Books)
Playing Shakespeare (Performance Books)
by John Barton
Price: 16.88

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read, 10 Jan 2014
I saw the original television programme and bought the book soon after. Having the printed word allows the reader to go over passages and try the speech for themselves. I bought this later edition to give to my grand daughter who is preparing to take to the stage professionally.

An Officer and a Spy
An Officer and a Spy
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yet from Harris, 10 Jan 2014
This is Best Yet from Robert Harris historical dramas

Best written and most compelling read since Pompeii I was absolutely enthralled. The pacing of the narrative demands the book cannot be put down. The subject matter is a story familiar enough, but despite Harris's observation that he has had to simplify some of the events, there is much that is not commonly known. So much better than the film.

Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable
Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable
by Chambers

5.0 out of 5 stars The Full Pint, 4 Sep 2013
If like the rest of us you are in love with Susie Dent and watch Countdown just to hear her talk on the origin of words, then this book will increase your adoration immeasurably. She has brought this old standard work for the incurably curious up to date whilst keeping all the old favourites. Pedro Carolino is still there to instruct us on English as she is spoke and Ms Dent's additions will, I am sure, have been applauded by Ebenezer Brewer himself. No bookshelf is complete without it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3