Profile for A. King > Reviews

Content by A. King

A. King

Diabetes Through the Looking Glass: Seeing diabetes from your child's perspective: A Book for Parents of Children with Diabetes
by Dr Rachel Besser
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't finished it yet but fantastic!, 28 July 2009
I've had diabetes for nearly 17 years and now run holidays for children with diabetes. If I could I'd give a copy of this book to every parent of a child on the holidays and even everyone who knows anyone with diabetes, although it is aimed at parents.
Often I meet children and parents who have real problems in accepting their diabetes and feel they are alone. This book puts things into perspective, goes through possible problems and issues and how various people with diabetes and their families coped with them. There are many books that talk about diabetes but this is the first book I've seen that is about the real-life day-to-day living with it.
Apart from many stories and viewpoints from young people with diabetes(as no two people are the same), the book also explains various medical issues in plain english that the average person can understand.
I will definitely be taking this book with me on the next camp I run to help me understand what the medical professionals there are talking about and to help me answer questions about diabetes when children ask them.
If your child has recently been diagnosed, is finding it hard to accept their diabetes or gets angry with you when you ask if they've remembered their biscuits, then this book is a must for you!