Profile for KatiKat > Reviews

Elementary - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonny Lee Miller
Price: 16.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Characters, Average Procedural, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Elementary - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Great characters in an otherwise average CBS procedural. Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu give it all but not even they can elevate it to something more than the usual 'case of the week' type of a procedural that CBS pours out by the dozen. This show is more politically correct than others, featuring strong female characters, many characters of color and even transgender people played by transgender actors, but that's where the novelty ends. I admire that they stick with Sherlock and Joan as best friends, but overall, I expected something more, a more gripping drama.

Children Of Dune [DVD]
Children Of Dune [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alec Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Dec 2011
This review is from: Children Of Dune [DVD] (DVD)
The amazing chemistry between James McAvoy (Leto II) and Jessica Brooks (Ghanima) makes this series a masterpiece. Just like the wonderful music and cinematography. Much better than the first mini-series.

Captain America: Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection TPB (Graphic Novel Pb)
Captain America: Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection TPB (Graphic Novel Pb)
by Steve Epting

4.0 out of 5 stars Captain America Reboot, 26 Oct 2011
Art: Four different artists are featured in this omnibus, but I liked Steve Epting's art best, even though all his characters look really rough and old. 4 stars.

Story: All the stories seemed rather depressing, at least to me. Steve's loneliness and weariness, the Winter Soldier's story, the Nomad's descent into madness and subsequent death... I liked the 2nd half of the book better, the Cap's hunt for the Winter Soldier, the revelation of his identity, Sam (Falcon) and Tony's (Iron Man) help... It definitely opened many interesting avenues that could be followed in the future. 4 stars.

Excalibur Volume 1: Forging The Sword TPB: Forging the Sword v. 1
Excalibur Volume 1: Forging The Sword TPB: Forging the Sword v. 1
by Aaron Lopresti

4.0 out of 5 stars Charles and Erik and what makes them tick, 26 Oct 2011
Art: Aaron Lopresti's art is really pretty, especially the female characters - the pictures are sexy without being lewd and all of them are distinct, not carbon copies of each other. 5 stars.

Story: I was so happy to find a story about Charles and Erik! As much as I like Wolverine, Cyclops or Jean Grey, I don't have to have every X-Men book about them, really, it gets tiresome. And Charles and Erik, their differences and friendship, are so interesting! It's too sad that more comic books don't focus on them. It was interesting to see Charles so disillusioned with humans which brought him closer to Erik. I also loved Erik's admittance that, even after everything that happened, Charles was still his friend. Also: There are some very funny parts! 4 stars.

Night Head Genesis, Volume 1
Night Head Genesis, Volume 1
by George Iida

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather confusing, 26 Oct 2011
I know that I should like the brothers but their situation, their background, their friends and enemies, it was all so... unclear that it was hard for me to actually connect with the characters. They were brought somewhere because of their powers and they couldn't get out and then they did and they knew how to drive a car and they had enough money to buy things and stay at a fancy hotel... What's their objective, their goal? Do they want to stop an apocalypse or just find their parents? It felt like I should be knowing these things already... It's all so muddled that I didn't really get it. I will give it one more book, maybe it'll catch my interest but so far, I'm rather disappointed.

Captain America: Red Menace Ultimate Collection
Captain America: Red Menace Ultimate Collection
by Mike Perkins Ed Brubaker
Price: 10.49

3.0 out of 5 stars The last third of the book was amazing..., 26 Oct 2011
Art: Several artists worked on this collection. Perkins' and Epting's art was top notch, as always. But I didn't really like Pulido's and Martin's art, it was very retro, though I understood why it was used for the flashback. Nonetheless, it felt a bit jarring, the transition between the styles. 4 stars.

Story: The last third of the book was amazing, full of action and great heroes, both male and female, kicking butt. But! The first two thirds? Slow, oh so slow. Too much time and space given to Lukin/Red Skull and Crossbones and Sin, a lot of talk and not enough action. I wanted to see the Cap going after Bucky, an intriguing cat and mouse game, what I got was the Red Skull plotting and cackling madly in the background. He's mad, Lukin is untouchable, we get it, Mr. Brubaker, move on! 2 stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2012 10:37 PM BST

Taisho Era Chronicles
Taisho Era Chronicles
by You Higuri

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed, 26 Oct 2011
This review is from: Taisho Era Chronicles (Paperback)
Beautifully drawn and a good story, if a bit simple: Kagero loves Kicho and Kicho loves Kagero but they are both geishas in a brothel where relationships are strictly forbidden.

And that's the part that made me uncomfortable: the geishas are owned by the brothel, they are slaves and they can't say no. That's too non-consensual for my taste and that's also where the story differs from, say, "Love Mode" where the men were selling themselves of their own volition and they could stop whenever they wanted. In "Kimono Boys", the geishas have to do what they are ordered or they're sold to a lesser establishment. And I'm not really comfortable with that.

And another thing: Kagero is way, way too needy for my liking. I mean, I get where it's coming from but I still don't like it.

Supernatural - Season 6 Complete [DVD] [2011]
Supernatural - Season 6 Complete [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Jared Padalecki
Offered by MusicnMedia
Price: 9.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as ever, 31 May 2011
After S5, I was ready to move on from the Apocalypse. And the show did and with style. For the first time in many years, I had no idea where the story was headed, what awaited us around the next corner, under the next stone that got turned. Until the last few eps, I had no idea who was behind all the happenings, who was making Sam and Dean's life miserable this time around. And what a surprise it was, a great set-up for a shocking finale. The season went out with a proverbial bang and S7 can't come fast enough because I want to know what happens next!

Greywalker: Number 1 in series
Greywalker: Number 1 in series
by Kat Richardson
Price: 5.22

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 22 May 2011
An average book with an average heroine. I'm used to much stronger and much more courageous female characters in urban fantasy. By the end of the book, I was rather sick of hearing how frightened/scared/desperate Harper was and how the Grey and everything connected to it felt cold/nauseating/bad. And seriously, how many times can you encounter the weird and supernatural and refuse to believe in it before you start sounding like a moron? I was tired of her whining about just how much she didn't want to have anything to do with the Grey or learn how to fend for herself in it - life sucks, girl, deal with it. The only saving grace for me was Will and his awesome relationship with his little brother Michael - I could read a whole book just about the two of them and be happy!

Stalking the Unicorn: A Fable of Tonight
Stalking the Unicorn: A Fable of Tonight
by Mike Resnick
Price: 10.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky adventure, 30 Jan 2011
Very similar to Simon R. Green's "Nightside". This quirky adventure is based on funny dialogs rather than on real action or suspense. Thanks to a little green elf who hires him to find a stolen unicorn, PI John Justin Mallory finds himself in an alternate New York where there are yellow elephants instead of taxis, horses talk and stuffed animals don't actually realize they are already dead, where hawkers sell suntan lotion in the middle of a blizzard and there's a Department of a Redundancy Department, among other things. Hilarity ensues, of course.

But what I love most is, that amidst all the crazy stuff, Mallory is still a rather ruthless man, punishing and getting rid of anybody who betrays him or hurts his friends and without remorse too. Thanks to Mallory's personality, the book feels grounded, not just... out there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5