Profile for Alex Wilkinson > Reviews

Content by Alex Wilkinson

Alex Wilkinson

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a present which ended in disappointment, 19 Oct. 2012
I bought this as joke present for someone who said they wanted to start pipe smoking. The problem is that neither of us could get the thing lit!

The Mind-Body Diabetes Revolution: The Proven Way to Control Your Blood Sugar by Managing Stress, Depression, Anger and Other Emotions (Marlowe Diabetes Library)
by Jay S. Skyler

2.0 out of 5 stars Dr Surwit might mean well, but this does not end well with me, 18 Sept. 2011
I bought this book upon the recommendation of my therapist. I've had Type 1 Diabetes for 24 years. I exercise regularly, eat healthily, measure my carbs and bolus accordingly, and I maintain a healthy weight. Despite all of this my HbA1c is considered too high and I've suffered mentally because of this.

First, Diabetes is an unseen medical condition - not a disease! Dr Surwit might want to adjust his vocabulary if he wishes to publish outside of the US.

Second, he speaks (as most medical professionals do) from:
1) text-book experience;
2) second hand knowledge of what the condition did to some of his family members; and
3) limited practical experience based upon a few mice experiments and some patients whom were desperate for help.
In these regards, a lot of what he states could be con-strewed as common sense - it certainly was in my case anyway. As a result I didn't get any new evidence to suggest that I could make adjustments to my diabetes management.

This book might be helpful to others, but it certainly wasn't for me.

Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life
Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life
by Jon Kabat-Zinn
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars If this is the best season of my life, then my life will continue to be painful..., 18 Sept. 2011
I bought this audio book after being recommended it by my therapist. It arrived on time, but after that it proved troublesome.

I've been suffering from depression since I remember being conscious. I've read a lot in order to seek help for my mental health issues, which include anger, frustration, stress, anxiety, restlessness and an inability to concentrate. I have an analytic mind and am still seeking ways to relax. I thought that Mindfulness might help - it still might. However when I inserted the first CD into Tunes and tried to import it, it took the best part of 45 minutes. The same happened for each of the subsequent discs. Subsequently I synced it to my iPod Nano...

On first impressions, Kabat-Zinn's voice was reminiscent of a cross between Steven Hawking and Ray Romano; he sounded automotive and depressed, bordering on lethargic. I'm not a religious person - I can understand why people may benefit from religion but don't have any faith myself, despite being raised as a Roman Catholic. Ergo when he started to quote Buddha in his opening chapter, I was immediately struggling to listen without judgement.

Over a number of weeks I managed to listen to most of the book. Some tracks were scratched owing to the iTunes import process, which again didn't really fill me with a sense of calm. If this is the best season of my life, then I'd like a new one please!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2013 10:22 AM BST