Profile for Leslie MacDonald > Reviews

Jump!
Jump!
by Jilly Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars JC at her best, 3 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Jump! (Hardcover)
Being a fan of the Rupert Campbell-Black books and follows ons I couldn't wait to get my hands on 'Jump'. I wasn't disappointed - it grabs you from the first page and is typical Jilly coopear at her best. Humourous with endless intertwined tales and although there are parts that are a tad predictable it is perhaps the last 50 pages that really get you wondering, as just when you think you have the solutions, nothing is quite what it appears.... Clever stuff. Her wise use of outlining the characters at the beginning of the book is a must since inevitably you need to remind yourself in the first few chapters, who lives where and who belongs (who seems to belong) to whom. JC's descriptions of her characters are legendary to the point that you can visualise every wrinkle and detail which perhaps is part of the secret of her success.

Fans of her previous books will probably find this one just that more exciting than the previous two which lacked a certain pizazz and raciness - This is rectified with Jump and her research in to the subject or racing makes the reader realise that JC really knows her stuff. A rollicking good read and I couldn't put the book down.

Plenty
Plenty
by Yotam Ottolenghi

5.0 out of 5 stars Just yummy, 21 July 2010
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
A seriously yummy foodie delight for those that want to experience vegetarian ideas at their best. Although I am not a vegetarian I consistently find myself eating more and more meatless meals due to the wealth of wonderful recipes that I find within these pages. Plenty is a an excellent companion to their other book and with the two you can safely ensure that you will always have great nosh on the table! Recipes are straightforward, no nonsense and ingredients are readily attainable. The pics also entice one to try one's had at something a little different. My copy stays permanently on my book rest in the kitchen as I use it so much... Also makes a great pressie for foodie lovers.

Premier Housewares Stainless Steel Kettle, 1.7 Litre, Black
Premier Housewares Stainless Steel Kettle, 1.7 Litre, Black
Offered by ultimatesalestore1

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair for the Price, 4 May 2010
For value for money its hard to beat though as expected its rather tinny and thin - surprisingly this doesn't make it boil any faster. The whistle is distinctly weak and pathetic but at least it works. It looks good but even when only 1/3 or half full it takes a long time to boil. Its a great back up if the power goes and you want to use it on gas - it may work faster on an electric hob perhaps.

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Briliant and captivating - his best so far, 1 Oct. 2009
I absolutely loved this book. Having read all his others but some considerable time ago I believe the time gap between reading them and his latest offering was key to my enjoyment. Yes, it has some of the similar patterns we saw in The Da Vinci Code but I found this one much better pacedand totally riveting and I couldn't put it down. Its clear that this will make a much better film than the disappointing screen version of The Da Vinci Code providing they get the casting right. I suspect quite wisely he wrote The Last Symbol with this in mind.

Dan Brown keeps it fast paced, brilliant twists and turns right to the end and his characters are totally plausible as are his facts. I was pleasantly surprised as I was prepared to be disappointed but not so. Highly recommend it and rather leave Angels and Demons to one side which was probably the most disappointing of all his books. He seems to have the ability to grip the reader from page one. If there was to be one criticism which I am almost hesitant to make, it is that the ending seems to take too long to reach conclusion and the last five chapters could probably have been condensed into one but who cares when the ultimate story is so excellently written.

The River Cafe Classic Italian Cookbook
The River Cafe Classic Italian Cookbook
by Rose Gray

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, 26 Sept. 2009
Having read the rave reviews about this book in the papers I was expecting a 'classic' book and a serious heavyweight guide of Italian style cuisine. Instead I find a very ordinary book with very ordinary recipes - many of which have appeared before in various guises in their smaller paperback offerings. Perhaps it was my mistake that I was expecting something like Stephanie Alexander's 'A Cook's Companion' or Stephane Reynaud's 'Ripailles' which offer so very much more than this. Yes, the book has great photos and certainly it is printed on high quality paper but as an overall cook book it is better as a guide line for the novice and perhaps should have been billed as such. As such I find it a huge disappointment from a restaurant that really does have a great name and reputation. Sorry but it just doesn't cut it.

My Sister's Keeper
My Sister's Keeper
by Jodi Picoult

4.0 out of 5 stars A heart tugging story, 23 Sept. 2009
This review is from: My Sister's Keeper (Paperback)
A book that I couldn't put down and left me emotionally drained at the end. Incredibly well researched and highly topical one becomes immersed quickly in the lives and feelings of the family concerned. It makes one wonder just how many people out there have to go through the same heart ache of decisions such as these. Jodi Picoult has the ability to absorb the reader from page one. Definitely one of her better books.

Sepulchre
Sepulchre
by Kate Mosse

4.0 out of 5 stars A well researched and interesting read, 23 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Sepulchre (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed the book till the last couple of chapters when I felt as if the author had been advised to hurry up and finish the book. Well researched it is a particular delight for those who know the area around Carcassone and or have an interest in the occult. The plot weaving its way back and forth through time works well and the fantasy stuff fortunately only kicks in right at the end. An excellent read for a long plane journey or for lazy hours on the beach. Unfortunately due to its size you can't tuck it in your bag easily but it does ensure you won't run out of literature if you are faced with delays during travel! I have noted that some other reviewers found it disappointing, I didn't at all - I found it most enjoyable and if you enjoy a good story, combined with a bit of history and a touch of fantasy - this one is for you.

Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
by Yotam Ottolenghi

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Magnificent, 23 Sept. 2009
Wow - this book totally blew me away with its quality and content. A foodie lover's dream. I purchased this book solely on the recommendation of other reviews. Living in France I had not heard of the restaurant but the reviews about the book intrigued me. I wasn't disappointed. I rate this without doubt as one of the best cookery books ever. The stunning photography, the ease and simplicity of the recipes whilst discovering incredible combinations of flavours and ingredients had me salivating from the first page. Although not a vegetarian myself I could live off the items in this book without ever touching the meat and fish dishes (which are equally divine). As an avid collector of cookery books I thought I had pretty much seen most of what was on offer but this is outstanding. I couldn't wait to get in the kitchen to try out their recommendations and next time I visit London you can be sure I will be paying a visit to their restaurant.

The Cellist of Sarajevo
The Cellist of Sarajevo
by Steven Galloway

3.0 out of 5 stars A haunting read of unhappy times, 17 July 2009
Difficult to get into, this book was not what I had expected and in reality has little story line. It does however bring home to the reader, the incredible difficulties that everyday people in Sarajevo had to overcome during an notoriously violent period in the country's history.

Following the daily lives of several residents, one becomes acutely aware for example of how fortunate one is to have even a bottle of water much less a tank full to switch on and off at will. The way individuals cope under the most stressful of circumstances is played out through the pages of this book which at times becomes depressing in the extreme. Whilst not a book for light hearted holiday reading, it is a book that is able to offer a powerful insight into the hurdles the human race need to overcome in order to survive basic daily living.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2009 12:41 PM BST

The Last Great Edwardian Lady: The Life and Style of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
by Ingrid Seward

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight into times gone by, 17 July 2009
I found this a fasincating insight into the life of one of England's most revered women. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was without doubt a woman who had the ability to instill fear and respect into many of those with whom she came into contact. Through the pages of this book one gains an insight into the true character behind the person. Her mind and her life placed her in a different era which was full of privileges that she was reluctant to give up yet she had the abilitity to relate and communicate with those less fortunate than herself. A trait that was clearly shown during World War II.

The book is a delight for those who are fans of the Royal Family but also reveals a period in history through the eyes of someone who was forced into a situation due to the abdication of her brother-in-law, that many would have shied away from.

An excellent read from an author who is in the fortunate position of having known and understood much about the present day Royal family.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10