Profile for B. Siviter > Reviews

Content by B. Siviter

B. Siviter (Black Country, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Garmin nuvi 3598LMT-D 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates, Free Lifetime Digital Traffic Alerts, Bluetooth with Magnetic Mount (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Note: download "english" or unit will not function properly, 8 Feb. 2014
Box contains:
device,
magnetic device-to-mount adapter,
suction cup for mounting newly uhm mount adapter sat nav to window/ dash.
a very short "mini" (not micro) USB cable
a hard wired car charger cable (sigh, there goes my dual USB car charger thingee)
oh, that has an antenna thingee attached
and a few pieces of paper including one cartoon of a little blue guy telling you in pictures that the paper is 10% smaller than it used to be or that you get a 10% discount on the website, a little poster of the same little blue faceless bloke who is apparently enjoying being just as confused by your new sat nav as you are (with the the international customer service numbers on the back), a "how to position a sat nav in your window" diagram (for a left hand drive car), a smart phone link app flyer in typeface 8 (ok, where are my glasses?( in 6 different languages- apparently the little blue guy doesnt like smartphones). And an EU compliant small-type feast of safety information suitable for balancing the short leg of any cafe table.

open box and admire. Aww, pretty. Tell it where you are (UK) what language you speak (Is Black country/Brummiie an option? No Ok, go with English). Now, please connect to internet and update your maps. Ok.

Connect to computer. Accept 3 hours of downloaded updates. (Apparently, they update it so frequently it has become obsolete even since it was shipped) but with reassurance that "Its safe to walk away but do not disconnect device". Well, I wasnt going to drive, was i, because the sat nav is getting its brains put in with 3 hours of my data bandwidth.

Try to set options. Can say what to display on screen, but not what it looks or sounds like except I can make my avatar (the not real thingee representing my car) look like a car, a sport car, an SUV, footsteps or an Eagle

Try to set up voice command, one of the key "PC I wasnt using my phone or sat nav" options for which I mortgaged my home to buy this, and it says . "Voice commands not supported by English...." (Yes they are, we English folks boss people around all the time....)

Look in the files, there is no english language option... although Dansk and Svensk are options, I think id be better in a language I can almost understand.

Go to Garmin forum and read abuse moderators heap on anyone who is a) less tech savvy and b)owns less than 112 garmin devices and has failed to name a child "Nuvi", Skip ahead to user manual. How to use voice, but not how to make it work if it says it isnt there Read ominous "Some languages are not supported for voice...." Surely, gasp, not English? I mean, we were an Empire not that long ago....

Go back to website (Garmin Express, your one stop shop for everything you need) and look at updates. Nothing about english but there is now an Iceland voice (and not the one from the store) for there has to be English. Look in language files, There that was easy (no, it wasnt actually).

Now, voice commands work. Yay!

Go for ride.

Why did screen go gray?

Oh, because I followed the guidance (after I found my glasses) on the small print smart phone link thingee and I connected my phone by blue tooth (the second half of the "PC I wasn using y sat nav or phone" thing) and now I find that there is an update pending so the phone and sat nav can speak without a mediator needing to be present to prevent them from fighting.

Yet I give it 4 stars.For all Im peeved about "new relationship" issues, I like:

- the "take the right at the lights/ after the supermarket" thing.
- the display brightness.
- the added info it gives for confusing junctions
- that it called the A456 "Hagley Road" (he same thing I call it) as I had t look up what the A road was called to tell you Im glad it doesnt call it that.
- the zoom in/out screen
- the traffic accuracy
- the computer links to manage/ upgrade/ support the device
- the voice control (once I taught it english)
- satellite link was instant

Ive had the tomtom go live 1000, and got tired of paying £50 for maps and information about the same time the touch screen decided it was tired of me pawing at it all the time. . This has similar features but included in the price. The screen is exceptionally high quality which although you cant adjust the colours it looks more like a real map and this is actually easy to follow.

If you drive the speed limit, you have ample notice of turns... but not so ample that you turn too early. (tomtoms' preferred error format).

So, pros and cons, I like this. It will do what it needs to do (well after the update....) and I hated the way you are forced into a farce of long downloads that misses the one download you really need to use he device (the language) after I told i I spoke English, but Im not sending it back and I will use it. I wish they used larger sized fonts, but accessibility doesnt seem to be their thing. I hate that they used a hard wired mini usb for the car charger, but oh well and they should have had the right hand drive information represented in the info about where to place the sat nav but these things are temporary issues. It gets me from A to B, using voice control, warn me to slow down and when to turn. Tahdah!

The tom tom with the same price range has the same kinds of problems (albeit special to the specific device) and nothing is perfect when you throw tech in, so if you prefer tomtoms, buy that. If you like Garmin, buy this one. In either you will have all kinds of hoops to jump through, but the one feature with this is that I dont have to pay extra ever again for the traffic and maps. When you need to know, hearing(seeing) "your subscription has lapsed" is more frustrating than anything else, and thats why in the end I chose Garmin 3598.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2014 7:38 PM GMT

Confessions of a Freelance Penmonkey
Confessions of a Freelance Penmonkey

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but, 5 Feb. 2014
I don't mind casual writing in fact its my style... but I feel a little disrespected by the way this book is written. Is from th blog "terrible minds" where the author says he "mouths off into the void" but as a book's reader, you're that void....

I don't think any author needs to be as "in your face" as this book is, and to be honest, the confrontational nature makes it a but more difficult to get the most value from it. He writes like this is Serpico....

That said, there are lots of good stories and good advice, but I would have preferred a slightly less edgy presentation. You'll learn by reading this, but would have been 5 stars if he's stopped trying to impress me with how cool he is/was. Maybe its because its from a blog... but I was really hoping I would enjoy this more.

Derwent A3 Watercolour Paper Pad, 12 Sheets of White, Acid Free 300gsm Paper
Derwent A3 Watercolour Paper Pad, 12 Sheets of White, Acid Free 300gsm Paper

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely paper, 5 Feb. 2014
This is affordable and good quality paper that does what you expect it to.

It is just what it says on the package.

Grammar Girl's 101 Misused Words You'll Never Confuse Again (Quick & Dirty Tips)

4.0 out of 5 stars it has had a positive uhm affect on spelling... uhm no, I mean EFFECT and now, I know why!, 5 Feb. 2014
Great book. Goes by usually by pairs/groups of words and says for example "Affect means... Effect means... if you mean A say affect, if you mean B, use effect...." it makes it clear and easy to remember. - and gives you a tip to help you remember.

This book is good for anyone who writes, as you can avoid the embarrassment of he wrong word. Good for students (12+) - younger students might not have the vocabulary to understand the explanations nut older students wold find it easier to develop good word usages rather than learning after errors. Essential book for any University student or anyone who works with the written word or and teacher/ presenter.

The only thing that would have improved it was some cartoons (some of the explanations really would lend to them quite easily)

Put your name on the hardcopy version.... it will get nicked.

50ml Apple Fragrant Oil
50ml Apple Fragrant Oil
Offered by Naissance

4.0 out of 5 stars great fragrance, 5 Feb. 2014
Used to make bath bombs. Great fragrance, very crisp and clean

would have been 5 stars but no info on an possible restrictions on use

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars No one gets it but I dont care, 5 Feb. 2014
I live in England.... so no one understands why I have a B (except my name) but I dont care because I love it. Its good quality, fast shipping even tho overseas, good value. No complaints at all. Been on the car a while and hasnt peled t all.

Red Sox Fans Are from Mars, Yankees Fans Are from Uranus: Why Red Sox Fans Are Smarter, Funnier, and Better Looking (In Language Even Yankee Fans Can Understand)

4.0 out of 5 stars It is good but, 5 Feb. 2014
It good book, good information, but its lacking some depth. ... I would like it to focus more on some of the historical richness of Boston and its people that made the Sox and their fans who they are,,,, would have liked some solid stats on variances between NY and Boston but the lighthearted focus on anecdotes takes precedence.

If you love the Sox, if you love Boston, if you hate NY (that always helps) you will like this, but then again, if you are a Sox fan you will buy anything that says we're better than NY or anything at all that is remotely Sox related or even just has a B on it.... I dont see how this would appeal to others who are baseball fans but haven't got the Sox passion, and I guess I wish it had something to this that would make it appeal more widely. In a way, as I haven't lived in Boston for several years, I wish sometimes the jokes weren't such "in" jokes. I feel a bit let down because it makes Cheers-style conversation so if you arent "one of the regulars" you don't always get it,

Good book, funny, Although I love the Sox and enjoy reading the memories, it makes the book and its delights hard to share with my English hubby. I was hoping it would help him enjoy my beloved Sox, its protective Green Monster and its frustrating "cursed" years,,, but its not something I can share except with those who already are invested... a but like the Sox themselves.

I was hoping that it would be adequately based in this universe that others who had yet to enjoy the Martian spring could enjoy it even if just a little but,,, well, it is what it is. Good if you're an established fan.

MaimeriBlu Watercolour 15ml : Sepia
MaimeriBlu Watercolour 15ml : Sepia
Offered by Jackson's Art Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxury .... lovely colour, good value, 5 Feb. 2014
The product is exceptional and good value.

You dont need to use half the tube just to get some colour, you can use it sparingly.

Its a true sepia with a lovely tone and responds well across a range of dilution... .

It blends well. Its really a premium watercolour brand.

Despite having a selection of other watercolour brands (Cotman colours, Winsor & Newton artist colours, Van Gogh pans, Sennelier pans/ tubes as well as the cheaper ones like WH Smith brand) I wholly prefer the MaimeriBlu and will now only use these colours... except for Gamboge/ New Gamboge .which they dont stock. It i surprising how much more pleasing it is to paint with a colour that look so rich, so deep and jut a you want it to.

Know this is about sepia but dragons blood is fab for developing skin tones. Colours can vary by price but thats due to the quality of ingredients.

These colours are smooth, blend well, with good transparency.... everything you want in a quality colour. Not cheap, but the colour is colourfast and you don't need much to get a good colour. Using an airtight palette means colour can last a considerable period. Don't buy colours by price- paint can be overly dilute or made with cheap ingredients... this brand has a solid reputation and if you love your art, using good colour gives your work a good foundation.

Zibra Open It Universal Package Opener
Zibra Open It Universal Package Opener
Offered by Homgar

5.0 out of 5 stars really useful, 24 Jan. 2014
These are the absolute solution to every package you've ever struggled to open. Easy to store, to use... a commercial about a tv show showed a man holding a razor in a plastic pack... the character said "what is this impervious barrier?" We've all felt that way but this clever and sturdy device has all the tools you need to get through that barrier.... in one place. Thanks for a great gizmo! Now can you make typefaces larger please.....?

Mad Dogs And Englishmen
Mad Dogs And Englishmen

5.0 out of 5 stars fab, timeless, 24 Jan. 2014
How can anyone not love Noel Coward? Ok we aren't an empire. But it's still funny. And exceptionally witty. Timeless classic that expresses wonder at the ways of the empirical bri t I shall gentleman and his total lack of common sense....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9