Profile for BD > Reviews

Live Hits
Live Hits
Offered by Helen's Goodies
Price: 4.50

2.0 out of 5 stars A poor cash in on the great man's reputation and his band, 20 July 2011
This review is from: Live Hits (Audio CD)
It genuinely pains me to say it, but speaking as a loyal lifelong fan, this album is a blatant cash in on the legacy of Stuart adamson and Big Country. The performances sound tired and weary, and the sound quality on certain tracks is dreadful, (worse than compressed MP3 quality) and the editing is questionable.

I should have known better than to expect a good release from a minor label, but even bearing that in mind and the cheap price, in all honestly I couldn't recommend this to a Big Country fan, I am that disappointed. Even the great song writing present throughout his career is not enough to save this album.

If you want a good live album by Big Country, and by that I mean really good, then my recommendation is the Without the Aid of a Safety Net double CD. This may cost four times more than this release but honestly it is four times the album compared to this inferior release. Remember I am not reviewing Stuart Adamson or Big Country, this is only a comment on this specific album. Don't be suckered like me and save your money.

Cho-Yung Weight Loss Tea - 30 Tea Bags
Cho-Yung Weight Loss Tea - 30 Tea Bags
Price: 29.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Eat less cake and the effect is the same!, 20 July 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like so many products that claim to help you loose weight they can do, but only as part of an overall plan, as stood alone they will not make you thin. I tried these for two weeks and found the effect limited other than an increase in toilet visits and the need to purchase bigger packs of toilet paper to avoid running out! I also upgraded the quality (i.e. quilting) of the toilet paper but this was to avoid another issue entirely....

anyway, back to the tea bags, well for me the tea bags helped with the 'feeling' of being less bloated, but in terms of actual difference on the scales, negligable. Honestly, save your hard earned money and go for a walk or eat less junk and caffine, and the effect will be the same.

PURE Chronos CD Series II, DAB/FM/CD Stereo Clock Radio - Black
PURE Chronos CD Series II, DAB/FM/CD Stereo Clock Radio - Black
Price: 94.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great product from Pure, 22 Jun 2011
I have to say I am genuinely amazed by the amount of low scores this great product has received. I am somebody who is very fussy about the electronics I own and use, and they have to be good to earn my enjoyment. Maybe I have been lucky with my pure purchases, as this is the second Pure product I own and the third I have purchased (I bought a pure evoke as a kitchen radio for my folks) and every one of them has met expectations, and in the case of the Pure Chronos it has exceeded them.

Firstly, the quality of build and the sound quality for the size of the unit is utterly superb. It isn't Hifi but it is very impressive, with just a small tweak needed to raise the bass and treble to +2 to bring out the sound and fill the room and job done. On DAB and CD sources I was able to go to pretty much maximum volume without the casing vibrating or distortion from the speakers which is impressive for the size and price. All the buttons feel solid to use and the unit does not move about when you press them on the front, because there is decent weight and quality to the unit.

Secondly (and this is why I bought an Evoke for my folks) is the simplicity of setting it up (a common feature of all pure products I have used), especially if you are used to conventional clock radios. It really is this simple. Plug it and the clock sets itself, the DAB tunes itself and you have to do is set your alarm clock time. If you are used to navigating an average manufacturers built in car stereo you will find this very easy. Without the using the manual, I was able to set the backlight setting, wake up volume, source to wake up to and set the tone controls to my liking, in short after initially plug in, The Chronos was 100% ready for use in less than 5 minutes.

Thirdly the features are superb. Inputs for MP3 machines or memory sticks, separate alarm times for weekdays and weekends (how many of us have been woken up early on Sunday because we forget to turn to the alarm off, or been late on Monday because we forget to turn it back on again!), or just daily alarm if you wish, a choice of four sources to wake up to... the list goes on...

I don't work for Pure or have vested interests in the company, nor is this a fan over rating the product to redress the critical reviews, I am genuinely impressed by the Chronos and would recommend one without hesitation. One of the easiest 5 stars I have ever awarded.

THE BIRTHDAY ROSE PATIO STANDARD-Ideal Birthday Gift 40th,50th,60th,70th,80th, Birthday Gift For Mum, Mom, Dad, Father, Grandma, Grandad,Him,Her
Offered by Giftaplant
Price: 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb quality and service... recommended, 10 Jun 2011
If you are like me and have a significant distance between yourself and your loved ones when important events come around, then Giftaplant offer a superb reliable service. It was my Mothers 65th Birthday and this Patio Rose now has pride of place in the location the name of the product suggests! This is not the 1st time I have used Giftaplant, and once again they didnt let me down and I would recommend their service without reservation. Bloomin' lovely!

Wenger GA-7627-14 Sherpa 10.2 Inch Notebook Slimcase
Wenger GA-7627-14 Sherpa 10.2 Inch Notebook Slimcase

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb well built product, 26 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this to keep my little Acer Netbook dust and damage free when not in use, and I have absolutely no complaints what so ever.

I have had this product for over a year, and nothing has failed. The stitching remains solid, the zips still glide smoothly and none of the materials have let me down. It still looks as good as the day it arrived. It has transported my little Netbook, inside motorcycle luggage on a UK tour, a suitcase through an airport and general protection inside my home.

I initially found the shoulder strap a little fiddly so I quickly removed this and no problems since and the attached handles are very well attached. The front pocket has room for the small Netbook charger and also for a little mouse, with the zip still able to be done up smoothly, not requiring any extra force. I am so impressed by this product, I am currently looking to buy a bigger Wenger case for my partners laptop.

This is an easy recommendation, an easy 5 stars. I have owned a lot of laptop cases over many years and this is the best by a mile.

The Stone Roses
The Stone Roses
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 5.71

5.0 out of 5 stars THE standard by which many others are still judged, 23 May 2011
This review is from: The Stone Roses (Audio CD)
Put simply, this album spoke to a generation (and still does). Taking the acid and psychedelic influences of the era, merge them with classic sounding riffs that the likes of The Byrds wouldn't be ashamed of and add in the angst and snarl of a band from a city called Manchester that was fast growing in stature and confidence, and you get the Stone Roses seminal début.

In the fickle and at times disposable music era we now live in, the term 'classic album' is often over used and consequently under valued. However, this genuine classic album from almost two decades ago is moving, atmospheric, uplifting, Anthemic, delicate and above all an essential inclusion in anybody's collection. Just take a glance at the track listing. Waterfall and She Bangs the Drums say it all for us that can't find the words ourselves, This is the one, Made of stone, I Wanna be adored, Shoot you down and I am The Resurrection are all unforgettable classics.

In my humble opinion the début self titled album by the Stone Roses is without doubt a landmark album in British music history, the sheer quality of which becomes more apparent with every listen, and with every year that passes. Noel Gallagher has gone on record as stating that without the Stone Roses there would not have been Oasis, but the influence of the Stone Roses and this album goes much farther than that. The number of bands influenced by this band is almost limitless, and the quality of this album is timeless.

This album will for the rest of my life be in my life, a postcard from the past that is still relevant to me today. I hope you buy this great album especially if it is for the first time, as you are about to embark upon a musical discovery that puts many many other bands into perspective as pale imitators of the art.

P.S. John squire is a guitar genius. Enjoy.

Microsoft  Autoroute Europe 2010 (PC DVD)
Microsoft Autoroute Europe 2010 (PC DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Now considered a legacy application..., 15 Feb 2011
After recently installing and experiencing this application, to be honest I see little point in owning PC based route planning software in the 21st century. The major UK motoring organisations now offer free online route planning services and one can buy a decent Sat Nav for less than 100 with European road maps that can be updated free or via subscription. Routing or local mapping applications are also available for a majority of mobile phone platforms (i.e. iphone, blackberry, android etc..) and are increasingly more usable and useful with every release.

Auto route once pretty much had the route planning market sewn up, but based upon this latest version with little enhanced functionality and an old fashioned and dated feel and interface, I would say the writing is on the wall for auto route and it competitors. Save your money and embrace current and future route planning or navigation technologies, and leave this legacy application on the shelf.

The 12" Album
The 12" Album

5.0 out of 5 stars How great pop used to be, 26 Jan 2011
This review is from: The 12" Album (Audio CD)
After refusing for years to pay the blatant rip off prices being asked by 2nd hand CD re-sellers, as soon as this re-release was announced, I ordered it on pre-release to finally replace a well worn out (to the point of seizure) cassette version of this album that I had purchased `back in the day'. I am happy to report that my patience (or maybe its stubbornness?) has been rewarded with the eventual re-issue of this album for around a tenner, and what a joy it is to hear these songs again crisp and clear and never like I have never heard them before.

We can revel once again in the precise and deep DX7 bass lines and bell chimes on `what is love' (got to be one of THE 7" singles of the 80's) and the instruments and sounds from the legendary Jupiter 8 synth peppered throughout Mr Jones's output of this era. For me this CD shows how creative the 80's could be with strong song writing and melodies of genuine quality, resulting in catchy tunes and long term credibility.

To the songs themselves, I had forgotten how songs 1-3 & 4-6 were sequenced together without gaps (a throw back to vinyl and cassette with three tracks per side) so it is best to resist temptation and skip to track 3 `what is love' and along to 3:30 to hear the lovely 2 minute instrumental break, just put the CD in and let it play and the playing order works well.

The only slight downsides to this album are the album cover / inlay card which is sparse in terms of information. As this was a re-release a few words from Mr Jones about the album and the tracks and why the decision was taken to revisit them on this budget label would have been welcome, instead we get the original two sided fold out release info and cover photo and nothing more. The other thing is I am not sure about is the mastering which may have resulted in a `loud' sounding album at the expense of dynamics. The track `new song' in particular sounds a touch harsh and loud especially during the busier parts of the track and keyboard hook which to my ears grates a touch.

But these small issues are not enough to spoil the quality of musicianship and song writing present on this 12" collection. The remixes are examples of how the 12" format could be used properly to build upon the original appeal of a song instead of the badly re-programmed and re-arranged mixes which we would be presented with less than a decade later.

If you owned and loved this album first time around you still will, If you always wanted a copy on CD now is your chance, and if you love this period of 80's output then this is essential. Purchase with confidence and enjoy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2011 11:00 AM GMT

Webroot Internet Security Essentials Netbook edition 2011
Webroot Internet Security Essentials Netbook edition 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Norton and a bargain price, 20 Jan 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unlike Norton AV and firewall products which I have found in my experience over the years to be a thorough product but an intrusive application, and the equivalent of applying a hand brake to my machine, I found the Webroot software had minimal detectable speed impact on my machine and did not intrude on daily operations. Other reviewers have mentioned the lack of on line shopping protection, but that is the only possible minus point and why it only gets four stars from me.

I personally applaud the idea of distributing just a licence and you then download the software from the website. The amount of distribution resources and materials this must save can only be a positive thing, I wish more software distributors did this. Downloading and installation is simple and easy.

So in summary, Cheap to buy, easy to understand and use. For the money a no brainer.

PDF Create 7.0 (PC)
PDF Create 7.0 (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use with clever plugs in to Ms Office, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: PDF Create 7.0 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is so refreshing to take delivery of software that is reliable and delivers its promises. I found the software easy and quick to install, I loved the simple yet brilliant plug in to Ms Office that offers the option to export the file you are working on into a PDF, and experienced no crashes in over two weeks of use and not too large an install footprint on your hard drive either!

So why only four stars? Simple really, the price. With an MRRP of 49.99 the cost is a bit salty for the home user, personally I think 29.99 would be a bit fairer price wise, but for a busy small business with a decent web presence and e-commerce activity, I would go as far so say that this software is not just worth considering, but possibly essential.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20