Profile for fishbiscuits > Reviews

3.5mm Stereo Jack to Socket Headphone Extension GOLD Cable 2m
3.5mm Stereo Jack to Socket Headphone Extension GOLD Cable 2m
Offered by kenable_ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid quality., 13 Jun 2013
This item works well and as expected, The cable and connectors seem rugged and well put together. Good value for money.

New Apple iPad Mini 2012 (ALL Model Versions) BLACK Multi-Function SMART FOLIO Front & Back Case / Smart Cover / Typing & Viewing Stand / Premium Flip Case With Magnetic Sleep Sensor & Sunny Savers Screen Protector Shield Guard & iPadMini Black Stylus Pen Accessory Accessories Pack by InventCase®
Offered by Sunny Savers Ltd

Digital Silence DS-101A Stereo Analogue Ambient Noise Cancelling Headset with Microphone - White (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by iHeadphones UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks and feels cheap but sounds rather more expensive, 12 Jun 2013
Bought these as I was interested to try out the noise cancelling feature and I like to have several "spare" pairs of headphones anyway, just in case. These are quite a bit cheaper than I would normally buy, but the reviews were good so I thought they should be worth a punt.

So are they any good? I shoudl start by saying that I usually buy slightly more expensive headphones (I have also owned sennheiser cx300, senneiser cx500, sennheiser ie6, Brainwavz m3).

Sound quality: These don't really match the Sennheiser ie6 or the Brainwavz m3, but as they cost a fraction of the price you can hardly hold that against them. They are still way cheaper than the cx300s even, and sound quality is pretty close to these, with decent bass.

Noise cancelling - I'm completely new to this and didn't expect too much, and I was neither disappointed nor blown away by it. It does cut out a fair bit of rumble on the train, although not so good for filtering out speech/conversations going on around you or very low frequencies - again, as expected. You can hear a slight hiss with noise cancelling switched on, but it's very bearable. Battery life is pretty good, they seem to last a few hours. I also noticed when walking outside in the wind, that this sound is amplified somewhat. If it's a breezy day it's actually better to turn the noise cancelling off. If you want to use these at work to block out conversations around you then you're better off going for a noise isolating design with snug-fitting ear buds.

Design/Build quality - They look a little bit on the cheap, plasticky side but seem well put together and reasonably solid, with the exception of the clip which other reviewers have mentioned. The noise cancelling/control box on the cable is a little bulky at first but you get used to it. The ear buds themselves are quite bulky and oddly shaped, but I actually found them to be pretty comfortable in use.

In summary, these are very capable headphones and while not the best out there, they are well worth the asking price.

Poetic SlimLine Portfolio Case for Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet - Sky Blue/Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Far better than the official case., 12 Jun 2013
I started out with the official ASUS case, which does not have a magnet in and makes the side buttons feel very rubbery and unresponsive. This is far better. Not perfect but you really can't go wrong at this price.

6 x Membrane Screen Protectors for LG Nexus 4 (E960) - Crystal Clear (Glossy), Retail Package, Installation Kit
Offered by Membrane Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Just superb., 12 Jun 2013
Great quality, looks fantastic when applied and what a bargain! I'd say this is better than any others I've tried including some which cost many times more money.
Easier to apply than most - I had very few air bubbles, and found it easy to remove the few that did appear.
I've only needed to use one so far, and it still looks great after several weeks.

atFoliX FX-Antireflex Non-Reflective Screen Protectors for Google Nexus 4 (LG) Pack of 3 Front and Rear Top quality: Made in Germany.
Offered by @FoliX GmbH

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks terrible., 12 Jun 2013
Probably my fault for not realizing that the "anti-reflection" finish would mean that the screen protector is textured and this completely ruins the image quality of the display. It was easy enough to apply compared to some though, and easier to remove, fortunately.

HTC-WILDFIRE-S SCREEN PROTECTOR CASE / GUARD / FILM / COVER, 2-IN-1 PACK BY TERRAPIN

4.0 out of 5 stars Two in the pack - First one was poor, but the second was excellent, 23 Sep 2011
These come in a pack of two, which turned out to be just as well in my case.

Curiously, the quality was hugely different between the two in the pack that I recieved. The first one seemed to scratch a lot more easily than the second, and I had to replace it after just a couple of weeks as it looked really scuffed and awful.

Fortunately the second one more than made up for it. It seems to be a lot tougher than the first - It's been on the phone for months now and still looks as good as new. It is virtually invisible in use and doesn't seem to affect the responsiveness of the touch screen at all.

Just to qualify, I don't believe there was any user error here. I've used this type of product many times before. I have not been any more careful with the second one, I genuinely think that there was a qualitative difference between the two that I received and that the second was far superior to the first.

If rating the two separately I'd give the first one 1 star and the second one 5 stars. Despite my experience with the first one I tried I would still recommend these as seriously good value - Amazing value if both had been as good as the second one is. I would buy again and will be interested to see if the quality is more consistent next time.

Nokia CA-146C
Nokia CA-146C
Offered by Zolzoom LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-use your old Nokia chargers!, 23 Sep 2011
This review is from: Nokia CA-146C (Electronics)
If you have a lot of old Nokia chargers lying around gathering dust, this handy (and incredibly cheap) device will give them a new lease of life. I use them to charge my HTC Wildfire S, but presumably it would also charge any other micro-usb device. It is a little slower at charging than the HTC adapter but gets there in the end. With so many old Nokia chargers it means I can have them strategically placed around the house for instant access!

Microsoft MHC-00004 Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000
Microsoft MHC-00004 Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000

4.0 out of 5 stars Small, lightweight all-terrain mouse, even works from the other side of the room!, 23 Sep 2011
I bought this to use with my laptop as continuous use of the touch pad was causing me discomfort and threatening to give me RSI. It is a little on the expensive side for a relatively basic mouse, but there is no doubt that it's a high quality product. It is small and light, yet solid and certainly looks/feels well made. In use,the buttons give a positive, firm click and the scroll wheel spins quickly and freely - some may not like this, but I don't find it a problem at all. In fact I find it easier for scrolling through long documents or web pages at speed.

Motion is very smooth and accurate and it works well on my jeans, the sofa, or pretty much any other surface. The range is also very impressive - it even works from the other side of the room, as I discovered when my 2-year old son swiped it (he was transfixed by the glowing blue LED)! Even though I have relatively large hands I don't find size of the mouse to be an issue at all - it is very comfortable to use. I don't tend to use it at a desk - my default position is on the sofa, laptop on lap, mouse on sofa beside me.

My laptop runs Windows 7 64-bit, and it downloaded and installed drivers automatically on the first connection. The drivers allow you to configure various settings as well as program what each button does.
There is an on/off switch underneath the mouse and a handy slot to store the USB receiver, although I just leave it in the laptop. Using it this way it has always been ready to use instantly after switching the mouse on, or resuming laptop from standby with no noticeable delay at all. I can't really comment on the claimed battery life yet, I have been using constantly for several weeks and am still on the first battery.

One (very) slight criticism is that the USB reciever, although tiny, does protrude a little more than expected from my laptop, although this may be due to the laptop itself... I have an ultra-thin Acer model with all the usb ports on the sides which makes this more noticeable. I suspect that the USB sockets on this machine may be slightly shallower than usual too, but I'm not sure. Anyway it's not a major issue - if it really bothered me I'd just store the receiver in the mouse itself.

All in all it compares very favourably to the Logitech wireless mouse I use with my desktop system, particularly due to the range and its "all-terrain" ability. Well worth a comfortable 4 stars and only just short of 5, mainly due to the price.

Belkin USB Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Belkin USB Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Offered by TriStar Electronics Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars No Windows Vista 64-bit drivers - but I got it to work anyway., 22 Sep 2011
Bought this to replace the faulty on-board network card in an ageing Shuttle SN21G5 running Windows Vista 64-bit. OK, I know. I'm probably the only person left in the world with a machine still running Vista, let alone the 64-bit version. Anyway, I plugged it in, Windows detected it OK but failed to install a driver, helpfully suggesting I try looking online for one. Not sure how I was supposed to do that with no network (and therefore internet) access, but hey.

Next step - Try the CD that came in the box. Nope! This had drivers on it for just about any operating system (even Windows 98) except for Windows Vista or 7. Using another machine I went to Belkin's web site. No 64-bit Vista drivers listed there either. There were some 32-bit drivers though so I tried those, not really expecting them to work, and they didn't. On the verge of returning the product I saw that there was a Windows 7 driver available (again, labelled as 32-bit). So I downloaded it and ran the executable. Unexpectedly the driver installed, although with a warning in Device Manager, and a reboot was required. After said reboot it sprang into life and now works perfectly. So am I really to believe that a 32-bit Windows 7 driver works in 64-bit Windows Vista??!

I have also tested it on a Windows 7 64-bit laptop which automatically installed drivers for it and it started working immediately.

Anyway - It's a perfectly fine product but the information on Belkin's website is rubbish!
N.B. I haven't tested it on a gigabit network so I can't comment on it's gigabit capabilities, but on my 100 mbit network it seems quick enough.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2012 10:11 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2