Profile for Maximus > Reviews

Content by Maximus

Maximus "Max" (Geneva, Switzerland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Progressive Keyboard Method for Young Beginners: Bk. 1: Book 1 / CD Pack (Progressive Young Beginners)
by Andrew Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter, 26 Nov. 2009
Recommended by my sons music teacher and he seems to have progressed well despite not being a natural. A good starter for the budding Elton John.

French Experience 1 CDs
French Experience 1 CDs
by Marie Therese Bougard
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite course, 26 Nov. 2009
This review is from: French Experience 1 CDs (Audio CD)
I now live in a French speaking country and bought this course with CD's some years ago. My French is now good but I have to say not due to this particular course, it is not bad really, it just didn't suit me and I didn't find much relevent to what I actually needed in the early days. It starts off ok and will get you through the basics but I found it didn't meet my needs very well and for me it was quite boring. I must have listened to hours and hours of it in the car but for me it was too reminiscent of my attempts to learn languages in school which I failed miserably. It does provide a lot of background which is interesting and I used it as a reference book in the end to fill in some blanks in other courses, the CDs and associated TV programme are all useful in building up background and knowledge but as a stand alone course it didn't motivate me sufficiently and I was keen to learn so that wasn't the problem. What finally got me kicked off was the Michel Thomas courses which were great for building confidence quickly and enabled me to get serious with my French. Other resources I would recommend would be the coffee break french series available on line and a good native French teacher but make sure they are a qualified language teacher it makes a big difference. Oh and a final tip us brits, the accent is very important if you want to be understood so don't be shy, as my French teacher says imagine you are Gerard Depardieu speaking French not Michael Caine speaking French. Good luck with the language, it is worth it.

The French Experience 1 Coursebook
The French Experience 1 Coursebook
by Marie Therese Bougard

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite french course, 26 Nov. 2009
I now live in a French speaking country and bought this course with CD's some years ago. My French is now good but I have to say not due to this particular course, it is not bad really, it just didn't suit me, but I can imagine it might work in the classroom situation. It starts off ok and will get you through the basics but I found it didn't meet my needs very well and for me it was quite boring. I must have listened to hours and hours of it in the car but for me it was too reminiscent of my attempts to learn languages in school which I failed miserably. It does provide a lot of background which is interesting and I used it as a reference book in the end to fill in some blanks in other courses, the CDs and associated TV programme are all useful in building up background and knowledge but as a stand alone course it didn't motivate me sufficiently and I was keen to learn so that wasn't the problem. What finally got me kicked off was the Michel Thomas courses which were great for building confidence quickly and enabled me to get serious with my French. Other resources I would recommend would be the Coffee Break French series available on line and a good native French teacher but make sure they are a qualified language teacher it makes a big difference. Oh and a final tip for us brits; the accent is very important if you want to be understood so don't be shy, as my French teacher says imagine you are Gerard Depardieu speaking French not Michael Caine speaking French. Good luck with the language, it is worth it.

Asterix in Corsica (Asterix (Orion Hardcover))
Asterix in Corsica (Asterix (Orion Hardcover))
by René Goscinny

5.0 out of 5 stars Even for Grown ups, 26 Nov. 2009
My children have grown up with Asterix et al and are huge fans, (Now 11 and 9) even choosing Parc Asterix over Disney on a trip to Paris. This is another enjoyable adventure for our brave heros, if you know Asterix then you will know this book, if you don't and have children then get them involved it still amazes me that my kids who are very much of the Xbox and nintendo generation get as much enjoyment from these comic strip stories as I did when I was their age. Very enjoyable, even for grown ups.

The Complete Book of Food Counts
The Complete Book of Food Counts
by Corinne T. Netzer
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Coverage if you need to know the cals, carbs.protein and fats of foods, 26 Nov. 2009
I bought this when I was going through a particularly serious training phase, it does what it says on the tin, breaks foods down into calories, Carbs,fats, proteins and so on. Good coverage and easy to adapt for UK foods, surpassed now by the internet and the ease of getting this kind of information on line.

The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich
The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich
by Timothy Ferriss

5.0 out of 5 stars A change of Mind. liked it, hated it, love it., 5 Nov. 2009
This was an interesting book, not for everyone and I think that is why there is such a diverse selection of reviews. To start with I enjoyed this book and I found a few ideas that are good and thought provoking and could be applied to my life but the more I read the more dissatisfied I became, I was judgemental and I thought it suspect morally in respect of manipulating employers and so forth, I wondered, if you could live with yourself with some of the stunts he allegedly pulls. Someone has mentioned the Chinese kick boxing championship where Ferris dehydrates himself to make a weight class several below his true weight and then re hydrates so that he is much heavier than his opponents and then succeeds not by skill, training or athleticism but by reading the rules and simply pushing people off the stand. Sorry but for me that would be a hollow victory. There is a lot about hiding from your boss and using out sourced PA services in India to do your menial tasks, prepare your presentations etc. while you bunk off. Like many of these lifestyle gurus I get the impression that Ferris makes more money by selling his brand of lifestyle to the vast majority who slog away in unfulfilled roles through his books and web sites than he does by any other means. It is all a bit fluffy in places, e.g. here's an example of how to make money. Become a minor expert, plagiarise a few books on a specialist subject, like, let's say growing tomatoes, write your own ebook interview a couple of tomato growing champs on the phone and create a sound file then sell both on your tomato growing web site or through an advert in tomato growers monthly better still advertise it first then create it. It would probably work but it seems to be all about promising a lot and then selling as little real value as you can get away with; a bit "Del Boy for my tastes I thought and I am not sure that we Europeans are as gullible as the Yanks, this all lead me to giving it 3 stars originally.

Now I prefaced this review with to "start with" and after I wrote my original review I reread the book and I found much more in it, at the very least it is actually a great resource tool for lots of things to do with changing your life. and it's value is that it makes you think, I realised that my initial reaction was due to my rigid mind and thought process, business school background, work hard and if that doesn't work then work harder and I started to realise that the problem I had with the book is not Ferris's approach to life but my own. So if you read this book as if it is about Tim Ferris, you've got it wrong, this book is about you. In conclusion then a book that should make you question your life, presumably you buy it because you are not happy with your current lot and this book will, if you let it provide you with an alternative view. It's value is in making you think about yourself and may enable you to perhaps take an out of the box review of your life. Ferris is a clever guy and ultimately this is a triumph of marketing but rather than getting upset about it I now realise that's just what Tim Ferris does. Recommended

The Firefighters Workout Book: The 30 Minute a Day Train-for-Life Program for Men and Women
by Michael Stefano

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid One Book Diet Weight traing Fitness Solution, 5 Nov. 2009
This is a good one stop fitness book covering all aspects of physical training. based largely around weight training routines and a Body Building kind of approach to nutrition, six meals a day loads of protein ad so on. It is all good solid stuff spun around this mystic of the fire service in the US a few fire fighting stories to add interest. A bit American hero in places and Mr Stefano is a bit up himself in places in that American kind of a way. In conclusion if you had to buy one book about weight training fitness and diet then you could do a lot worse.

Ht Draw 101 Monsters (How to Draw)
Ht Draw 101 Monsters (How to Draw)
by Dan Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 5 Nov. 2009
I have bought this and other books in this series for my 8 and 11 year old boys and they love them, they both enjoy drawing and are delighted with being able to produce really good results following the guidelines, great for rainy days. Monsters is one of their favourits, Recommended.

The Eagle's Conquest
The Eagle's Conquest
by Simon Scarrow

4.0 out of 5 stars Boys Own Adventure set in Roman Times, 5 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Eagle's Conquest (Paperback)
This; the second book in the Marco and Cato Franchise is a thoroughly enjoyable and highly readable novel that needs to be enjoyed for what it is: A boys own adventure set in Roman times. A bit of a change and it could equally be the same story set in any historical setting, Britains conquest of India, making Cato and Marco into a couple of British Soldiers springs easily to mind. These books in my opinion should be considered as Novels set in a historical context rather than historical novels. If you are going to get hung up on the accuracy or otherwise of the historical events then don't read them because you will find faults. If you enjoyed the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell you will enjoy these, perhaps not quite as good; the charachters here can be a little two dimensional at times and understandibly historically more ambiguous as set much further in the past but never the less good fun and enjoyable to read. If you like these but would like to try something more challenging and more satisfying set in Roman times then I recommend Robert Harris's Pompeii, Imperium and Lustrum, Mercedes Benz to these Fords

Jonny Bowden's Shape Up!: The 8-week Program to Transform Your Body, Your Health, and Your Life
by Ph.D. Jonny Bowden

3.0 out of 5 stars Eat Right, Take Excercise, Take vitamins (lots), 4 Nov. 2009
This is an interesting book and a common sense approach to fitness, diet and weight control. Jonny Bowden is a likeable and well respected guy in the fitness and diet world. He writes in an easy but informative style and with little personal asides in the book you get a feeling for the man which is pretty much inline with the image you get from Jonny's numerous videos on You Tube. For me it's a little regimented in it's approach and dare I say a little "American" for my taste in the motivation side of things. I don't want something to sort my life out I just want to loose a few pounds and get fit so all the goal settings and diary keeping was a step too far for me but there is enough there to take what you want from it or if such a regimented approach works for you and you can fit it in then go for it I am sure it will work. In conclussion this is a good book that covers all you need to know get fit, loose weight and spend a fortune on vitamin Pills. Again a book I wanted to like more than I did.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5