Profile for Steve > Reviews

Content by Steve

Steve

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
TECEVO XStream DLNA / AirPlay WI-FI Wireless Music Receiver - The Ultimate Music Sharing Client For Speakers - Play Music From Any DLNA / AirPlay Device Through WI-FI Network
Offered by DigiDirect

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work, but not the best, 20 May 2014
Firstly, it's tiny, this is probably a good thing.
Secondly, it has what I assume is an apple dock connector, and a breakout lead, so it's probably more designed for apple than DLNA...
Contrary to the previous review, it can be configured without downloading the app, it comes up as a hotspot, you connect to it (yes, obviously you have to disconnect from your own wifi in the process), it presents a web app, although you'll have to figure out the IP address first (personally I scanned the network with fing, then scanned the device for services).
Despite selecting English the configuration was all in Chinese. I guessed the correct button presses required and got it connected to my network.
Unfortunately it then took about 24 hours before it appeared as a DLNA receiver, I've no idea why. I haven't powered it off again to see if it does the same thing again. I can't recommend it due to this, it should have appeared within 30 seconds of powering up.
This
Is a better device, at the same price, I'd recommend that instead.

City of Light (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy Book 3)
City of Light (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, 16 May 2014
Like the title says, it follows on pretty much seamlessly from the previous book, but with no new surprises or twists.
It's perfectly good, for some light weight, by the numbers fantasy, but I think the idea was pretty much explored in the first two books.

Fine Lighting Company Viva Outdoor Solar Powered Copper Spot Lights Pack of 2 Lights

2.0 out of 5 stars 9 months on, 17 Mar 2014
I gave these lights 4 stars when I initially bought them, but I'm going to have to downgrade that to two.
After 9 months in the garden they are covered in verdigris, look very discoloured, and despite the recent sunny weather, I can only tell that they're working if I stare directly into the LEDs, initially they were much brighter than this.

Overtime: A Tor.Com Original (Laundry Files)
Overtime: A Tor.Com Original (Laundry Files)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brief foray into the world of the Laundry, 3 Dec 2013
For £0.39 what's not to like. I thought the story could have actually been fit into a larger plot and made into a full novel, but hey ho.

The Darwin Elevator (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 1)
The Darwin Elevator (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Moderately interesting near future sci fi, 3 Dec 2013
What is there to say, it's passable near future sci fi. I read the whole series, they don't set my imagination on fire, but it's better than staring at a seat back on a plane.

The Plague Forge (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 3)
The Plague Forge (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Moderately interesting near future sci fi, 3 Dec 2013

The Exodus Towers (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 2)
The Exodus Towers (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 2)

On the Steel Breeze
On the Steel Breeze

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 Oct 2013
Story takes a small jump in time, progresses nicely, it's a good follow on, but not quite as good as the first one IMO.

The Ace of Skulls (The Ketty Jay Book 4)
The Ace of Skulls (The Ketty Jay Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 4 Oct 2013
The book lived up to my expectations, but somehow I found it slightly less entertaining than the previous books in the series. Perhaps because Jes was less integral to the story, yet she was originally the most interesting character.

A Game of Battleships (Space Captain Smith Book 4)
A Game of Battleships (Space Captain Smith Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but doesn't hold my attention as well as a truly excellent book, 9 Sep 2013
It's good fun and it's what I expected, but it's not going to ever be a classic of the sci fi genre.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3