Profile for J. Taylor > Reviews

Content by J. Taylor

J. Taylor "Jackie Taylor" (Sheffield, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Out of This Century: The Autobiography of Peggy Guggenheim
Out of This Century: The Autobiography of Peggy Guggenheim
by Peggy Guggenheim
Price: 7.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as interesting ........., 22 Jun 2014
Having been to the Peggy Guggenheim museum in Venice and hearing a potted history of her life, I was interested to know more about her. As is often the case with autobiographies when the author isn't a writer, it isn't very well written - "I did this, I went there, I met so and so" - there was no exposition of motivation for her passion for 20th century art for example. I think of this book as a fair introduction to PG's life - I now want to read a well-researched, literate biography.

Bring Up the Bodies
Bring Up the Bodies
by Hilary Mantel
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Bring Up the Bodies (Paperback)
Cannot understand why some people find this a difficult read; yes it may in parts require some thought but difficult it ain't. Appreciated the immediacy of present tense, loved Thomas Cromwell's character, improved my understanding of the period - loved it.

Avalon Sunset
Avalon Sunset
Offered by dutchtoni
Price: 29.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Avalon Sunset (Audio CD)
Another Van Morrison goodie - jazz,orchestral, celtic and that smoky,grumpy voice. Van is timeless, thoughtful and uplifting - I'm pleased to have it in my collection.

The Richard Burton Diaries
The Richard Burton Diaries
by Richard Burton
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Superstar life, 23 Nov 2013
Perhaps this speaks more to older readers who know the back story. It certainly shines a light on how super,super stars lived in the 1970's as well as giving an insight into Burton's background, concerns and thinking. Interesting but somwhat repetitious.

West End Girls
West End Girls
by Barbara Tate
Price: 6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting slice of life, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: West End Girls (Paperback)
Prostitution in immediate post-war Soho - in amongst the war damage and squalor a glimpse of brightness tinged with violence. Not the best writing in the world but the tale zips along entertainingly.

At Home: A short history of private life
At Home: A short history of private life
by Bill Bryson
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars At Home ....... and everywhere else, 20 Oct 2013
While this book is packed full of interesting facts about things that hitherto I'd not even thought to ponder I'd have liked more that was actually rooted in the home. About half way through it became rather formulaic; I stuck with it to the end because Bill Bryson is always an easy read but this is not one of his better offerings.

Patrick Leigh Fermor: An Adventure
Patrick Leigh Fermor: An Adventure
by Artemis Cooper
Price: 9.29

4.0 out of 5 stars An Engaging Biography, 16 Sep 2013
I've read a few of PLF's travel books, plus I know of him via the Mitford connection - what a life! what a man! This biography fills out his story, gives information about and a flavour of the people that had an impact on his life, and also sheds lighton some of the less attractive elements of his personality and character. Is it necessary to know something of his life and milieu before reading this book? I would say yes.

Poetic Champions Compose
Poetic Champions Compose
Offered by Universal Medias
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Van Morrison great, 3 May 2013
I loved this album when I first heard it years ago; my cassette copy being broken I've invested in a CD copy - and very pleased I am too. Lyrical, musically adventurous, beautifully delivered.

Hard Nose the Highway
Hard Nose the Highway
Offered by Universal Medias
Price: 23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: Hard Nose the Highway (Audio CD)
Another superb Van Morrison album - almost but not quite rivals Astral Weeks. I'd previously had this on cassette which unravelled and was really pleased to find a reasonably priced CD of this largely overlooked collection of songs. Some classic tracks that speak to a generation.

LIFE 75 Years
LIFE 75 Years
by of, Editors LIFE

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a present, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: LIFE 75 Years (Hardcover)
I bought this as a Christmas present for my 17 year old grandson who is aiming to be a professional photographer and who I'd taken to New York in the summer - what an excellent choice as this book cover all bases - broadens his photographic sensibility and serves as a reminder of our holiday.
It arrived very well packaged and within the timeframe.

Page: 1 | 2