Profile for think.up > Reviews

The Soul Midwives' Handbook: The Holistic and Spiritual Care of the Dying
The Soul Midwives' Handbook: The Holistic and Spiritual Care of the Dying
by Felicity Warner

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody should read this, 11 Dec 2013
If there's one certainty in life, it's that we're all going to make that final journey. Modern Western culture and education prepare us very poorly for our own departure and for that of our loved ones. Felicity Warner is a pioneer in the holistic care of the dying and we have much to thank her for.

In her first book Felicity introduces us to the fundamentals, the basics of how Soul Midwifing works. This book is much more of a working handbook. There is valuable and fascinating discussion, but it's an eminently practical book. None of the tools or techniques described is indispensable to everybody: Felicity encourages us to play to our strengths. Few if any of her readers will possess her breadth of skill and knowledge or her refined intuitive gifts; but everyone will find things in this book that they can safely use when they want to help.

You can't really compare this book to others, because it's a first of its kind; but it is superbly written, well-structured and organised, and is a mine of precious information. Everyone will find themselves with a loved one who is dying at some point in life, whether privately or as a professional. Everyone, therefore, would benefit from reading this wonderful book.

Schubert: String Quintet D 956
Schubert: String Quintet D 956

5.0 out of 5 stars A shimmering performance, 11 Dec 2013
Before choosing this recording I read a lot of reviews - it's one of my favourite chamber works so it had to be good. I was not disappointed. In some recordings the momentum - the 'big arcs' of the piece' - can be felt to 'sit down' rather, especially if individual players wallow in their own parts rather than supporting the flow of the whole. Here instead of heaviness there is poise and flow: the macro and the micro are beautifully balanced, the teamwork is impeccable, and repeated listening just adds to the pleasure.

4 Moreinks Compatible Black Printer Ink Cartridges to replace Canon PGI-520BK
4 Moreinks Compatible Black Printer Ink Cartridges to replace Canon PGI-520BK
Offered by More Inks

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good, and much much cheaper, 11 Dec 2013
I no longer have my Canon - it suddenly died completely - but while it lasted I was happy to use these inks and the printer seemed to accept them without problem. They don't last as long as Canon cartridges but they are still much better value.

NEW HIGH QUALITY CHARCOAL BLACK PROTECTIVE GEL CASE FOR HTC DESIRE HD (NOT DESIRE S OR Z) WITH FREE SCREEN PROTECTOR BY ABBY'S ACCESSORIES (SAME DAY DISPATCH- 1ST CLASS DELIVERY)

2.0 out of 5 stars A small design fault can become a major irritation, 11 Dec 2013
I had a case almost identical to this before, stolen with the phone. I got this case for the replacement phone. On the HTC Desire HD you need to press the power button frequently throughout the day in order to access, well, just about any function. It's almost imposssible to do this through this case. I ended up sliding the case off the top of the phone every single time I used it, and eventually just abandoned the case altogether and carried the phone in my pocket. It offers protection, sure, but impedes use.

The Reason I Jump: One Boy's Voice from the Silence of Autism
The Reason I Jump: One Boy's Voice from the Silence of Autism
by Naoki Higashida

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful insight, 11 Dec 2013
For me, this book comes as a complete revelation. I was grateful to hear some of it on Radio 4's Book of the Week and had to read the rest. I'd suggest dipping in often, rather than working from beginning to end. I'm sure it's not a definite scientific work, but what it does offer is a real insight into the world of people with autism. Naoki Higashida shows great patience and forgiveness towards the mistakes and misunderstandings of the non-autistic people he interacts with. Fascinating, moving and heart-warming.

First4Spares 10 Metre Mains Power Lead For Sebo Upright Vacuum Cleaners
First4Spares 10 Metre Mains Power Lead For Sebo Upright Vacuum Cleaners
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, very much like the original, 11 Dec 2013
The fault in my vacuum cleaner lead was actually around the middle of it, so I had to replace the whole thing. This was easy to fit - the wire-ends have been dipped in solder so are easy to maneouver into place. The cable looks and feels like the original. Quick delivery too, thank you.

eLifeStore® iPod Classic Premium Leather Case Cover Wallet plus Screen Protector for Apple iPod Classic 80GB 120GB 160GB (Side Flip) - Black
Offered by eLifeStore Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, not perfect, 11 Dec 2013
The protection offered by this case is great, as long as your iPod doesn't slide out of the top. I'm holding back on the fifth star because (a) the hole for the dock / plug at the bottom is too small and it's a faff to connect - I have to take the iPod out of the case, slide the cable through, connect it to the iPod and then slide the whole lot back into the case. Also, (b) there's nothing to stop the iPod sliding out of the case if it's held upside down, so you have to be careful that doesn't happen.

But all in all, I think it's ok for the price.

Plastic Coated Wire 18 Gauge 9.2m White
Plastic Coated Wire 18 Gauge 9.2m White
Offered by GUR Sewing Machines

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I needed, 11 Dec 2013
Not easy to find white-coated wire, but here it is and delivery was quick too. Thank you. Now I can reattach the front grilles to a couple of household electric fans...

Pack of 2 Quality Microphone's for Sony MEX-BT2700U, MEX-BT3700U, MEX-BT3800U, MEX-BT4700U, MEX-BT3900U, MEX-BT5700U, XAV-70BT Models MEX-BT MP3 CD USB Mic
Offered by uksalesdirect

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says, 11 Dec 2013
I've never phoned myself, but those I have phoned from the car say the sound is perfectly clear. Job done. Quick delivery too, thank you.

COMBO PACK - Remanufactured HP932XL & HP933XL With Chip Ink Cartridges for HP Printers Officejet 6100 ePrinter 6600 e-All-in-One 6700 Premium - TWO SETS PLUS TWO BLACKS
Offered by Prestige Cartridge

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THESE - My HP printer will not print with these cartridges, 13 July 2013
The first few pages of printing with these cartridges, though not brilliant, was tolerable. My printer flashed up a message that I was using non-standard cartridges, but after my positive experience with remanufactured cartridges in my old Canon Pixma printer I thought I'd be ok.

No, alas, not ok. I now get one line in three, all blurry. I had to spend £50 yesterday to get a set of HP cartridges in a hurry, but I'm really sore that I blew £60 on these.

Maybe other remanufactured cartridges will work with certain HP printers, but these ones don't.

Page: 1 | 2