Profile for Ian Morris > Reviews

Logitech MX518 Optical Gaming Mouse
Offered by Doll-Computer
Price: 128.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Was worth it when it was 35, 25 Feb 2012
Good:
Feels amazing and fits my hand nicely, responsiveness is faultless, stays comfortable for prolonged periods of gaming

Bad:
8 button advert is a bit of a con as 3 of those buttons are almost impossible to press (especially in a gaming situation) and are relating to DPI (although can be minorly customized), good but NOT worth 50 (I paid less than about 35 I think, the price has gone up on Amazon), mouse wheel seems to be in a bit of a trench which makes it less exposed than on other mice I have used HOWEVER this is yet to cause any huge issues for me.

I have not felt the need to experiment with the DPI settings

TL;DR - Feels great and works great, side buttons are easy to press and are great for improving ease in gaming (e.g. quick weapon selection) BUT not worth 50
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2012 5:56 PM BST

Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000  (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 (Retail Packaging)
Offered by M.T.
Price: 16.43

4.0 out of 5 stars good quality, but don't feel amazing for long, 25 Feb 2012
Good:
Great quality sounds and sturdy build, nice and customizable with my Windows control panel options (e.g. can turn on talk-back and change its volume, etc), works with my Skype, various video games and recording, mic doesn't pick up a lot of background noise which is good for conversations but could be deemed bad if you want to record music e.g. live guitar (but if that was your need then this wouldn't be the right type of product to get anyway)

Bad:
I have an average size head (20 year old male) and the cups of these are a little small and irritate the ears and they are also a bit tight. Nothing too irritating at first, but after wearing for prolonged periods can start to become annoying.
I find a good (albeit humiliating) work around is to stretch them out as long as they can go and rest them on top of a book on top of your head of a teddy or a tiny pillow or something. It definitely takes the squeeze out and lets the cups rest on your ears for high comfort

TL;DR - Really good in terms of being a headset, but if you are worried they may be too small for your head then they probably are

Edimax EW-7711UAN Wireless nLITE High Gain USB Adapter
Edimax EW-7711UAN Wireless nLITE High Gain USB Adapter
Offered by HometownTV UK
Price: 10.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 30 Oct 2011
Has vastly improved my signal for my desktop computer which is 2 floors below my router. Formally I used Edimax EW-7722UTN USB 2.0 Wireless Network Card 300Mbp which was good but would frequently cut out. Since installing this we have seen great improvements.

I recommend it for a good value alternative to getting another router!

Ribbed
Ribbed
Offered by Leisurezone
Price: 7.96

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, but not NOFX yet, 24 Oct 2011
This review is from: Ribbed (Audio CD)
A relatively early album from NOFX.

Goods:
Clear musicianship and talent. Without a doubt impressive song writing. Definite improvement on S&M Airlines and Liberal Animation

Bad:
Fat Mike's voice is not so good. And you can tell these guys are yet to quite find what one may call "their sound."

If you're into punk rock or NOFX then this album probably wont let you down. But if you're looking for something at the same calibre as, say, Pump Up the Valuum or The War On Errorism then this may disappoint you a little.

Palace of the Damned (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, Book 3)
Palace of the Damned (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, Book 3)
by Darren Shan

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, amazing author, 10 Oct 2011
Darren Shan is an incredible write who succeeds very well in making you want more and more with every turn of a page. This book is no exception.

This is book 3 in a series of PREquals to his Saga a.k.a. Cirque Du Freak series Cirque Du Freak (The Saga of Darren Shan Book 1)
Despite this being a prequel you should definitely read the Cirque Du Freak series first as a lot of the revelations (another stunning skill of Darren's, constantly revealing the unexpected) will not be as exciting if you do not know their significance which permeates from the previous 12 book series.

As a book it continues wonderfully from the previous 2 in this saga and I just cannot wait to read the 4th and final one, despite it being a VERY sad time for me as it will be the last line probably ever written in the Mr Crepsley universe.

TL;DR - I've been reading Darren's series since I was 11. I am now 20 and I enjoy them just the same.
Jim
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2011 7:53 PM GMT

Sapphire 11167-04-20R HD 5570 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card
Sapphire 11167-04-20R HD 5570 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 25 Sep 2011
I got this card because of its reasonable price and high rated reviews.

INSTALL:
Despite feeling quite anxious about opening up my Dell Inspiron 570 (1.5 years old), I was surprised by how quick and easy it was to change the card. A reasonably simple pop-out-pop-in process (although I DO recommend watching a "how to change your graphics card" video on youtube or something if this is your first time as there a few things you have to consider that I, personally, would not have thought of otherwise! E.g. an anti-static wrist band to ensure you do not damage any components inside your computer).

PERFORMANCE:
There was a massive jump in my Windows rating from my inbuilt graphics card. I can easily max-out games like Team Fortress, however another favourite of mine "Elder Scrolls IV :Oblivion" is played on Medium-High settings (but this is still very, very nice looking and there is very little issue with mouse lag or frame rate).
This performance is by no means the best in the world but for what you pay I think it is very reasonable and a lot A LOT better than the graphics cards that come with most prebuilt desktops.

AFTERCARE:
I've not had to interact with AMD or anyone associated directly, however Sapphire do offer a very nice service to the tune of "Sapphire Select Club" which basically offers rewards to Sapphire card owners. Check out their webpage for more details its stuff like software downloads and raffles to win newer graphics cards!

TL;DR:
Good value for money. Improvement on prebuild graphics card. Comes with cool reward service.

Confessions of a Conjuror
Confessions of a Conjuror
by Derren Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars hard to read, but interested, 2 Sep 2011
I love Derren's work I find him incredibly interesting and never fail to be amazed by his TV shows no matter how many times I watch them.

This book is difficult to read as it set throughout a story of Derren's early career but constantly branches off to random thoughts and descriptions.
Albeit these thoughts and descriptions are interesting and enjoyable I personally find the disjointed flow difficult to read and I tend to only be able to read 5 - 10 pages in a sitting.

Still, it is very good to anyone who is a fan of Derren or his work.

This book gives amazing insights into Derren's mind and lifestyle

Those who are more interested in Derren's work than he hobbies may much more enjoy the read of Tricks Of The Mind Tricks Of The Mind as it focuses a lot more on techniques and it has a lot more flow than Confessions'

I'd also say read Tricks Of The Mind before reading this as it may help you to understand some of what is going on in this.

But over all - very good, just struggles to flow!

ALICE (2009) [IMPORT]
ALICE (2009) [IMPORT]
Dvd ~ Caterina Scorsone
Offered by kryptobrads
Price: 5.77

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern Alice... unlike Burton's, 2 Sep 2011
This review is from: ALICE (2009) [IMPORT] (DVD)
Unlike Tim Burton's Alice, this film makes an OBVIOUS attempt to be different from the original story.
Set in modern times our Alice finds her way into a very crippled Wonderland (reminiscent, yet obviously different of the one in the book).
The story is very driven and the way the producer/director/writer has interpreted the characters from the book is very interesting (unlike Tim Burton's).

Someone looking for a movie version of the book - don't get this. But someone looking for an interpretation into modern times then this is for you.
Also a very good for anyone who likes the Alice franchise, or in fact whatever genre you would class the franchise, as it has that zaney, other-worldly feel, but has its own story which is very engrossing.

It works in UK DVD players and is longer than a normal film as it's a mini TV series all put together (over 2 hours I think).

I, personally, am a massive fan of the book and other movies (except Burton's) and would recommend this to any sci-fi/fantasy/Alice fans of all ages!

Toy Story 3 Peas In A Pod Mini Bean Bag
Toy Story 3 Peas In A Pod Mini Bean Bag
Offered by lackenstrand
Price: 14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and typical (high) Dinsey quality, 2 Sep 2011
A character my friend and I liked so much we got it tattooed on our feet... And I'm not even joking.

I was so excited when I saw there was a toy for this I bought it straight away - twice! (one for each of us).

Its adorable and has a little zip to take the peas in and out and keep them safe in the pod. They've each got their little faces like in the film and its a high quality just like all Dinsey toys.

No educational value that I can work out except maybe very little kids may learn from put the peas in the pod and closing it to find they can no longer take the peas out - a sort of security lesson perhaps?

Alone, the peas are kind of small - a little bigger than a golf ball - so some caution may be needed with them although I cannot imagine them going in any child's mouth.

A great toy, if you like the characters or Toy Story franchise at all then get these guys!

Hours
Hours
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.87

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, but still got a foot in the door, 2 Sep 2011
This review is from: Hours (Audio CD)
I loved Casually Dressed'. It was in my car in repeat when I first got it for weeks on end. This, however, got one listen and put it back in the box.

I feel it lacks the soul and passion and raw sound of the first album and exchanges it for more say-me and produced sort of feel. But if thats what you like then you will like this.

Fans of the raw sound of the first album then brace yourself if you're going to get this!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3