Profile for D. Brewer > Reviews

Content by D. Brewer

D. Brewer "dark_mercenary" (Dorset, England)

Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Darkly Dreaming Dexter
by Jeffry P. Lindsay
Price: 7.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the criticism?, 7 Oct 2007
This review is from: Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Paperback)
I, like many others reviewing this book, have watched the show first and then was so impressed with it, felt compelled to read the book. I haven't felt this eager to read a book in a long time and I wasn't disappointed. What I am disappointed with is the largely negative reviews here.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions but I felt some of them must have been reading a different book to myself. Ok, I will admit that the book is not as big as I was expecting but then I don't feel it needed to be. The book is full of humour and the characters are interesting.

Some characters, such as Angel Batista, are not seen as much in the book as they are in tv show, but other characters such as Vince Masuoka are seen more. The producers of the show decided to show more of Batista than Masuoka and that is their perogative. I thought the characterisation of Masouka was good and showed that perhaps Dexter could have a friend, or at least someone to connect with.

Perhaps the criticism that has puzzled me the most is the theory that the character of Dexter is not likeable enough in the book. Correct me if I'm wrong, but considering the self-mocking tone displayed in the book as written from Dexter's perspective, it left me feeling like that was the point: Dexter knows what he is, and what he is isn't suppoosed to be likeable.

His constant references to not being human make him an anti-hero, not someone to be admired and revered for being righteous. If people choose to like Dexter (which they admittedly do and I am one of them), it's because we choose to, not because we're supposed to.

True, as it is written from Dexter's point of view, there is the sense that we are supposed to sympathise with Dexter but, after all, he is still a serial killer, and is in his own admission, a man with no guilt response.

The story is a lot shorter than the tv show but then a tv show's job is take something like Dexter and add their own spin on it: it's the same with Hollywood movies; I urge anyone to read Stephen King's The Shining and then see Stanley Kubrick's version and tell me just how different it is.

The obvious difference is the character of LaGuerta. In the show, she is a stronger, more competent character, however in the book she is shown as someone not particularly intelligent but displaying a hard edge at points. The main difference regarding LaGuerta is something I won't go into for fear of ruining the book for those who haven't read it.

The book has a lot of quirky humour and the story, although short, is still very interesting and inventive. Some characters have more depth than others and some are very different from the tv show. What I will say, to finish, is this: if you've seen the tv show first, please be aware it is quite different to the tv show but that shouldn't become a criticism of the book.

Television producers jobs are to take a book or script and tailor it to their own needs: they are two completely different mediums and one shouldn't be criticised because of the other.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2013 9:17 PM BST

Mezmerize
Mezmerize
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 6.34

5.0 out of 5 stars How can evolution be a bad thing?, 24 Nov 2005
This review is from: Mezmerize (Audio CD)
Having read some of the reviews of their new album Hypnotize (of which I haven't heard yet but will when I receive my copy from Amazon) I was staggered to read some people's opinions that not only Hypnotize but also Mesmerize was inferior to the bands early work. Absolute nonsense.
Whilst albums such as Toxicity are works of art, System of a Down have undoubtedly taken many steps forward with Mesmerize. Perhaps what hardcore fans may dislike about these latest offerings is the more political stance and decided leaning towards a more soulful and mystical style of music.
Their self-titled debut, Steal This Album and Toxicity were full of rage: Mesmerize has more of a message. Stand out tracks on this surely have to be B.Y.O.B (which is all about the war and in particular the use of bombs), Old School Hollywood, Lost In Hollywood and, my personal favourite, Sad Statue.
The album begins with the haunting Soldier Side which, although brief, acts as an introduction to the more methodical approach to come. The end track, Lost in Hollywood, is a scathing attack on the lifestyles of the rich and famous in Hollywood, yet for it's acidic overtones is still beautifully crafted.
Hardcore metal and rock fans, who are only after pure sound and noise by some of System's lesser contempories, will be disappointed by this. But if you appreciate a more thought-out and carefully crafted metal album then you would be hard-pressed to find something superior to this.

Curb Your Enthusiasm: Complete HBO Season 4 [DVD] [2005]
Curb Your Enthusiasm: Complete HBO Season 4 [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Larry David
Price: 7.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Larry David continues the mayhem..., 2 Oct 2005
In just three years, Seinfeld co-creator Larry David has gone a long way to approaching and perhaps even surpassing his previous creation with this supremely well-crafted sitcom Curb Your Enthusiasm.
The formula is very simple; Larry David, as himself, manages to offend almost everyone he meets which leads to hilarious consequences throughout each show. What truly makes Larry a genuine telvision gem is that, like most protagonists, he is his own worst enemy and is derided simply for his honesty and un-flinching belief in his right to speak his mind.
But however he manages to get there he always seems to do or say the wrong thing. The first three series were great - this one, if it's possible, is even better. In this series there is one common theme of Larry's initiation into Broadway as the star of Mel Brooks' legendary play, The Producers.
Throughout the series we follow Larry as he prepares for his biggest role to date and another common theme as he prepares to cash in on an extraordinary 10th anniversary birthday present (which I won't spoil for you by saying)!
As usual for Curb, there is a whole host of guest stars with David Schwimmer, Ben Stiller, Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft being chief amongst them, in addition to the usual wonderful supporting cast of Cheryl Hines, Jeff Garlin, Richard Lewis, Wanda Sykes and the brilliant Susie Essman as the caustic, acid-tongued Susie Green.
Curb Your Enthusiasm is a rare gem of a sitcom which has more in common with The Office and Fawlty Towers than other traditional sitcom fare such as Friends. Larry David, if there's any justice, will go down in sitcom infamy as a character as diverse as either David Brent (The Office) or Basil Fawlty (Fawlty Towers).
But considering that Larry David is a real, living, breathing human being, that makes the excellent Larry David all the more remarkable...
(P.S. For those who are wondering about extras on the DVD's, I have to be honest and say that I don't think there are many to be found but as I never watch extras anyway, I'm not really fit to comment on them.)

WWE - Wrestlemania 21 [DVD]
WWE - Wrestlemania 21 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Batista

4.0 out of 5 stars WWE back on form - but for how long?, 19 July 2005
This review is from: WWE - Wrestlemania 21 [DVD] (DVD)
Having read some reviews already, I have to say there are some match reviews I don't agree with. So please allow me to have my say on proceedings:
1. Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio
As the was the start of their feud, it wasn't a bad start. Lately their feud has gone into the stratosphere but as this was the catalyst they can be excused if it wasn't pitch-perfect. I felt some reviewers have been very harsh on this match so I will award it a little higher.
Mark: 7/10
2. Money In The Bank Ladder Match
Many people have lauded this as superb but although I liked it, it wasn't up there with two other matches on the bill. This was quite good with some supreme spots but the match was over too quickly and the finish was a little disappointing.
Mark: 8/10
3. The Undertaker vs Randy Orton
Given that The Undertaker had recently been saddled with jobbers like Heidenreich and Luther Reigns in his last few pay-per-views, it was only fitting that the legend was given a proper outing against the future of the WWE Randy Orton. The match was absolutely superb from start to finish and the only reason I haven't awarded full marks is that Orton should have won the match and definitively earned his 'Legend Killer' tag.
Mark: 9.5/10
4. Women's Championship Match, Trish Stratus (Champion) vs Christy Hemme
Abysmal. As someone who has seen proper women's wrestling in Japan with promotions such as GAEA, women like Christy Hemme just don't cut it. Trish can pull off a good match given a decent opponent but this well short of anything good.
Mark: 2.5/10
5. Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle
What can I say about this match that hasn't already been said? This match was flawless as everyone predicted it would be and was a perfect example of how breathtaking wrestling can be if you get two men in the ring who can work properly. As an old-school fan of Michaels I was surprised to find myself rabidly willing Kurt Angle on to make Michaels' tap - which he duly did. The best match on the card, just edging out Taker vs Orton.
Mark: 10/10
Piper's Pit
Wasn't an actual match but I suppose it was good to see Austin and Piper back, even if the useless Carlito diluted the nostalgia. Although Piper's slurring of his words did make me feel quite sorry for him.
* No mark as this wasn't a match
6. Sumo Match, Big Show vs Akebono
Another huge (pardon the pun) waste of time. For it's purposes the sumo contest was well constructed but as this was a wrestling extravaganza it made it feel flat and out of place. You'd think Vince would learn by now - although the money he must have generated from Japanese buy-rates would have been big given their sport being broadcast on a major American telecast.
Mark: 4/10
7. WWE Championship, JBL (Champion) vs John Cena
Pretty bad, even by their low standards. These two can't work but because Layfield is McMahon's pet (well, one of them) and Cena is currently hot property in merchandise sales they are allowed to contest a main event. This match proves how far down the card they SHOULD be.
Mark 5/10
8. World Heavyweight Title, Triple H (Champion) vs Batista
This match was better than a lot of people give it credit for. The criticism of Batista is sometimes warranted but Triple H is, and always has been, one of the best workers on the roster. As far as this match goes perhaps it did drag on but they managed to make it look decent and Batista came out of it looking like the monster they've billed him as. Plus, this was the culmination of a 3-month storyline which was well worked.
Mark: 7/10
All in all, a very good pay-per-view with two matches in particular worthy of being billed as world-class.
Overall Mark: 8/10
If the WWE can keep producing PPV's like this throughout the remainder of the year, then perhaps they can start to make the money and the ratings they had from 1998-2001.

Jonathan Creek - Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD] [1997]
Jonathan Creek - Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Alan Davies
Offered by Mega-Deals
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Floppy-Haired Genius..., 18 Feb 2004
Imagine my surprise when I discovered that one of the most intelligent programmes in British television was getting it's deserved release on DVD. Once I realised that I had to have my copy. Now as for the DVD itself it's very good. Jonathan Creek is definitely one of those shows that you really either LOVE IT or HATE IT so if you love it, you won't be disappointed. In this DVD you get Series 1 and Series 2, comprising 11 episodes. The first-ever episode is a belter - getting everyone used to the type of mystery they can expect to see week after week, whilst introducing us to Jonathan and Maddy. It becomes ever more apparent with every episode that Alan Davies and Caroline Quentin have great on-screen chemistry as the sexual tension builds. The relationship between the two of them is an important part of the show to complement the inventive crimes and solutions. Personally, I prefer mysteries that focus on murders and not other issues (such as The Scented Room in Series 2), but every episode has it's own quality. If you're someone who loves extra's, I can't help you I'm afraid as I'm not bothered by them, and so I have not seen them. One thing I do know is that it will be great when the rest of the series' are also released on DVD as the series DOES NOT go down hill (as some other reviewers would have you believe on this web-site). So if you love Jonathan Creek you can't fail to go wrong with this DVD. Enough said, really!

Bundyisms: The Wit and Wisdom of America's Last Family
Bundyisms: The Wit and Wisdom of America's Last Family
by Al Bundy
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for die-hard Married... With Children fans..., 26 Nov 2001
As a die-hard fan of the greatest television programme in HISTORY, I had to buy this book. I was hoping to buy more Married... With Children items but this was the only thing I could find. The book itself is rather small... just pocket size. But that doesn't detract from the information inside it... the quotes themselves are of high quality and highlight the best comical moments of the show. If I could have a few grouches though, I would say this... the book could be bigger and include more quotes. With over 260 episodes made during it's 11 year period, you would think there would be more quotes than the ones on offer (as someone who has EVERY episode ever made on tape, I know that for a fact). Personally, I think that some of the best lines were delivered by special guest stars and regulars that weren't part of the main cast of stars (some superb guest stars being Gary Coleman of Diff'rent Strokes, Bubba Smith and Vanna White). But I think what is most disappointing is the amount of informative books on offer concerning Married... With Children. I know that is not a direct criticism of the book itself, but I believe that if the author really wanted to make a best-selling book on this subject, he would have been better suited to release one on the history of the show, detailing every facet of the production and especially on the regular cast members. But as I said before, if you are a die-hard Married... With Children fan, then it is your duty to buy this book.

No Angel
No Angel
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.85

5.0 out of 5 stars She's a pure English rose..., 4 Oct 2001
This review is from: No Angel (Audio CD)
Of all the CD's in my ever-extending collection, this almost seems out of place. What with all of my rap and hip-hop albums this is certainly a change of pace.
To be honest, I had never listened to it until a week ago. I don't know why but I normally buy albums and then won't listen to them straight away. And if the mood doesn't take me, it will take a while.
But after FINALLY listening to it, I must say I'm very pleased. I was feeling decidedly melancholy and thought it would be nice to hear some sweet ballads. 'Hunter' is the most engrossing song on the album.
'Don't Think of Me' is also an extremely beautiful song, but that is not to say that the rest of the album isn't enticing. All of the songs are top-notch if you're in the mood for slow, emotional songs.
But most of all I love Dido. In a day and age of silicone-enhanced actresses and singers, it's nice to see a truly natural and extremely beautiful woman like Dido.
An English rose in a world of thorns...

Hybrid Theory [U.S. Version]
Hybrid Theory [U.S. Version]
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.91

5.0 out of 5 stars If this is a Theory, it has been proven correct..., 27 Sep 2001
As a growing fan of rock and rap, I knew I had to get this album. It only took the release of Linkin Park's debut single 'One Step Closer' to convince me to buy the album. There are only two other albums that I have ever felt so close to and delighted to listen to before and they were Eminem and Dr Dre albums. Of all the songs on the albums, as with any musical album you get, some songs signifcantly stand out more than others. For me, 'In The End', 'One Step Closer', 'By Myself' and 'Cure For The Itch' are the most enticing tracks for eminently different reasons. 'One Step Closer' is a favourite with me, because of the sheer attitude of it, 'Cure For The Itch' because of the strange change of music type and the quirky electronic beats and tempos, 'By Myself' because it seems like an angrier tune than others and finally 'In The End' because when I hear it, it sounds like an upbeat tune delivering a message of hope. (At least in my head!) This album is one of the best buys I've had at Amazon...

Preacher TP Vol 07 Salvation New Edition
Preacher TP Vol 07 Salvation New Edition
by Garth Ennis
Price: 13.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Ennis proving why he is the master of his game, 26 Mar 2000
After reading the previous six novels in the Preacher series, I had a feeling that this might not live up to it's previous expectations. I should have known better! Although not the strongest of the Preacher collection,(my personal favouite is Proud Americans)it shows the depth that Garth Ennis can go in to, given the opportunity. This particular installment doesn't touch too much on the main story at hand,(the main story being Jesse's continued search for God) but it is still charming and thought provoking. He also gives an insight in to his belief of what middle America looks like in his eyes. Sometimes scary, but most of the time, shocking. The story might be thought of as weak by many Preacher fans, but I don't suscribe to that opinion. Call me biased if you will, but I personally feel that I can read any work by Ennis, and come away feeling renewed.(Fans of Ennis should try Unknown Soldier and his current 12 piece issue of The Punisher, in which he is reunited with artist Steve Dillon). The characters that Ennis provides in Salvation are strange to say the least. Most notably Odin Quincannon. I won't continue to give away the story, but I will say that if you like Preacher, or graphic novels in general then you should love this. I would recommend it to anyone, no matter who they are. Enjoy.