Profile for K. J. Ekermawi > Reviews

Content by K. J. Ekermawi

K. J. Ekermawi "Khaled the Jordanian"

Centurion (Eagles of the Empire 8)
Centurion (Eagles of the Empire 8)
by Simon Scarrow

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, Unintelligent and quite low on standard of dialogue, 6 Jun. 2008
I thought this was the worst book in the whole series. Not to mention that the latest 3 books were more simplistic than I have ever read. It is very sad when you read these surreal events taking place and then Cato comes with the silliest of plans and somehow, miraculously, because uncle Simon wants it so, they win! I like it when they win, but for heaven's sake, put some good plan together, a good and real strategy, then make them win!

Also, with regards to dialogue, it is the most boring ever! Simon goes on and on about things that he has repeated endlessly in all his books. Someone needs to point out to Simon that in real life, soldiers do not call there centurions "man"! Nor do using loads of foul language make anyone feel more entrenched into any novel! In Centurion, the world is ablaze while Marco and Cato are having another silly and cynical conversation about some boring point they have made a hundred times already! They are ordered not to speak to the king and remain silent, yet they both start another boring conversation while everyone is hushing them!!! A good writing has a good strategy, dialogue, development of characters, realistic growth of novel, and sheer excitement!
Alas, very little of the above is seen in 'Centurion'! Therefore, I feel that unless something drastic is done, I will have to say goodbye to Macro and Cato, which is really hard for me as I have been reading their novels for a few years now, hoping that they'd improve, not get worse! I give up on Simon Scarrow.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2008 2:24 PM BST

Lords of the Bow: The Epic Story of the Great Conqueror (Conqueror 2)
Lords of the Bow: The Epic Story of the Great Conqueror (Conqueror 2)
by Conn Iggulden

5.0 out of 5 stars Another big hit by a great author, 6 Jun. 2008
When I read Lord of the Bow, during my holiday, I knew that I should take a rest from reading, put the book down and go out site-seeing, but unfortunately, the mistake of taking this book with me has already been committed! I was unable to put it down. I find it very difficult to find writers who can put melees without sounding like they are doctoring the whole situation so that somehow they come out smart strategists in the end. Conn is a very talented strategist and can put details in a way that makes you not want miss a line because you know it all counts when you get to the numerous great fights. This is a really good book and nothing less of the many other books Conn had authored about war. It also gives us men a very good insight into the politics of man and the effects of power on us.
I just hope that 1, Conn would not be as explicit with sexual encounters and 2, that he would write the next book asap!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2010 8:52 AM BST