Profile for schtocker > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Upsides
The Upsides

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply my favourite album of all time, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Upsides (Audio CD)
Simply my favourite album of all time. A truly beautiful record packed full of sadness and anger that makes for a raw and powerful experience.

Torchwood - Children of Earth (Series 3) [DVD]
Torchwood - Children of Earth (Series 3) [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Barrowman

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 9 Mar 2012
This series was beyond amazing! For some unknown reason I hadn't started watching Torchwood until Miracle Day was broadcast, and i thought straight away that I must watch the past series. After much deliberation and discussion with people who had watched it from the beginning, I decided on this series. And it was far, far superior to Miracle Day. It's full of tension, and mystery, and is just generally an all-round good sci-fi show.

We Are The Royal
We Are The Royal

5.0 out of 5 stars An Album of Swedish Rock Goodness!, 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: We Are The Royal (Audio CD)
I know a lot of and I know of a lot of rock and metal fans to whom you could say that you'd found a Swedish rock band and they'd instantly think of some sort of post-hardcore weirdo progressive rock. But this entire album is a beautiful mix of screaming riffs and dirty bass lines. The vocals are incredible and so diverse. An absolutely perfect album.

Sony MDR-E 818 LP  Headphones (discontinued by manufacturer)
Sony MDR-E 818 LP Headphones (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected, 14 Jan 2012
If you're not looking for anything too serious, then I would definitely recommend these. I just wanted some cheap and nasty in-ear headphones, so I bought these, and they are brilliant. The sound quality in them is excellent, if a little tinny when you turn the volume up too high, but that is not a major issue. They can be a little uncomfortable in your ears, but wiggling them around a bit tends to sort that out, though your ear is often a little sore once you take them out. And within my first use I was getting loss of audio in one ear-bud by wiggling the jack, but I was just doing that to test and it hasn't happened since. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone looking for some in-ear headphones that just simply serve their purpose and don't sacrifice sound quality for style or brand name.

From Them, Through Us, To You
From Them, Through Us, To You

5.0 out of 5 stars Their Peak, Shame It Was So Early, 8 Nov 2011
I originally read about these guys' latest album, World War III, in a music magazine. After listening to samples of all three albums on Amazon MP3, i decided this sounded like the best one. And it was amazing, truly a great album, not a single bad track on there, and it tends to all tastes, featuring some shouting and some popy vocals in places. Seeing as this one was so good, i went on to buy the other two, their newer ones.
Don't do the same. They are nowhere near as good as this, this is the one you should get.

Split/Second (PS3)
Split/Second (PS3)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Torn at the Edges, 21 April 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Split/Second (PS3) (Video Game)
Don't get me wrong, this is an excellent game. But I feel it needs a sequel to make it perfect.It has all the necessary components of a good driving game, fast paced action, great settings and excellent CPU drivers. But this game's added bonus is the 'Power Plays', set explosions that you can trigger if you've charged up enough energy by drifting and drafting. The explosions can blow your opponents off of the road and it gives the game a whole new dimension, dodging and weaving. It also comes with other very good other race modes - Survival, Elimination, Time Attack and Air Strike, all of which provide the same great racing experience just with different goals.

However, there is just a bit of refinement needed. Perhaps the physics engine could be a bit better, cars seem to move unlike real life, sometimes too heavily, and the rocks and debris from explosions often fall strangely. When travelling fast or cornering fast the graphics can blur and lose quality.

But these are just minor things- things that should not put you off buying this practically excellent game or from eagerly awaiting the sequel which the ending of this game all but promised.

A Visit From the Goon Squad
A Visit From the Goon Squad
by Jennifer Egan

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!, 21 April 2011
You're never quite sure what to expect when you buy a book judging by a review you read in a magazine, because it's a matter of opinion and the person in the magazine has their own opinion. But this book had an excellent review and after reading a blurb for it I bought it, and I must say it has become my favourite book!

It's an incredibly clever book, it doesn't drag on, skipping and intertwining throughout characters, linking them all very subtly and cleverly and Egan deploys very clever writing techniques and takes perspectives to a different level. It all seems very real. Egan seemingly finds it easy to write like a child one chapter, not worse in grammar, just in the way a child would say it, and then write just like a journalist the next, using all the jargon. I wouldn't exactly say there's a storyline, and in a lot of books that's a bad thing, but here it seems right for there not to be a storyline, just a description of two people's lives using the tenuous links through the people around them.

As I said, this is my new favourite book, a marvelously clever book which I would highly recommend to anyone.

Doctor Who Eleventh Doctor Sonic Screwdriver
Doctor Who Eleventh Doctor Sonic Screwdriver

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect., 3 April 2011
I love it. It's perfect, looks like the on-screen model, works well, the spring action is good. But, I dislike how to activate it when it's claws are out you must press the button on the bottom. And that the cover over the bottom button has broken so does not stay covering the button and instead dangles. But apart from that, an excellent sonic screwdriver.

Sony-Ericsson HPM-70 Black
Sony-Ericsson HPM-70 Black
Offered by LEADS U NEED

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed Me., 3 April 2011
The headphones that had come with my Sony Ericsson phone had been great - until I lost them. So i came on here and ordered some more. Within 2 months the plug which connected into the phone had broken. So i ordered another pair. Now this time, within 2 days, one of the buds had gone quiet, and i could get no response from the seller, and didn't get a refund until a month later. Not good.

LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3)
LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lived Up To Hopes!, 3 April 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
MediaMolecule were under intense pressure to make the second game better, because in plain terms, there wasn't much they could do with the games platform - it's a level sharing and creating and playing game, and that's what it always will be, and I was worried that maybe it'd just be the same as the first game, but with better graphics.

But MediaMolecule have proved me wrong. The game is fantastic and has filled all the holes the first game had. First of, it lets you play the levels people created on the first game, very good. Then there's the My Earth and My Moon which was absolutely genius, and was one of the things i thought the first game could've done with. The Story mode was fantastic, i wouldn't say better than last times, because last times was shrouded in mystery up until the final levels, but this was equally as good. The graphics were much better, the reaction of Sackboy when you moved your controller was much sharper. Create mode is much easier, but you still have more advanced options to make it difficult for those people who want to make extraordinary levels. And that leads me onto the games selling point, the fact that you no longer make levels, you make games. It takes a lot of skill to master to make, but it was something else the first game needed: another dimension. It works perfectly and the stuff people out there have created are amazing.

I thought that now i'd write something about the game I didn't like, but there is nothing. It's the perfect sequel and I highly recommend it. But, i have one worry. How are they going to top it with LittleBigPlanet 3?

Page: 1 | 2