Profile for Mr. P. D. Sinnott > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. D. Sinnott

Mr. P. D. Sinnott (Leicester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Going Commando (Bootneck Threesome)
Going Commando (Bootneck Threesome)
by Mark Time
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 30 Mar 2014
I have never been in the Marines or the military, but loved every page of this. Laugh out loud funny, down to earth, honest and gritty. I would highly recommend. I can't wait for the second instalment.

All I Was
All I Was
Price: 13.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Day Black Sabbath!?, 20 July 2012
This review is from: All I Was (Audio CD)
If Black Sabbath were to release their first ever cd today, this would be it. Pulsating drums, heavy heavy guitar riffs, amazing vocals and melody. Melody... something which has been lost of late with heavy guitar based music. Thank god for Mark Tremonti then. Without a shadow of a doubt the best heavy metal album of the year. Go treat yourself!

Into the Wild [DVD] [2007]
Into the Wild [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Emile Hirsch
Price: 3.80

4.0 out of 5 stars give it a go..., 15 Mar 2011
This review is from: Into the Wild [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
My friend recommened this after he said it was his favourite film of all time.

I enjoyed it, had to persevere quite a bit and go with the flow.

I had to assume his parents were a bit more awful than what was shown to understand what drove him.

Over all an enjoyable film, not everyones cup of tea, but worth giving it a go.

Town Line
Town Line
Price: 9.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: Town Line (Audio CD)
Does four new songs, one old one and two bonus tracks of one of the new songs, constitute an album!?! Here is the track listing:

1: The Story Never Ends
2: Vicious Circles
3: Country Boy
4: Tangled Up In You (from Stainds-Illusion of Progress Album)
5: Massachusetts

Bonus Tracks
6: Country Boy (Radio Edit)
7: Country Boy (Acoustic Version)

All in all each track is fantastic from the Staind front man. I cannot fault the songs, especially Massachusetts, which is amazing. The songs are mellow and well written. I just felt let down when I read the back of the CD, it is more like an EP really.

NOTE: Just been onto Aaron Lewis website and it does state that this is an EP. I think Amazon needs to make that clear and reflect it into the price.

Friends Like These
Friends Like These
by Danny Wallace
Price: 6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 13 Jan 2011
This review is from: Friends Like These (Paperback)
If you want a book that is easy reading, funny and makes you go sleep with a smile on your face then this for you. Would recommend, I loved it.

Monsoon
Monsoon
by Wilbur Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply the greatest book ever written, 10 Jan 2011
This review is from: Monsoon (Paperback)
Quite simply the greatest book ever written. I cannot praise it enough. Not only is my favourite book of all time but my two brothers as well. If you into adventure, swash buckling, heroes in the vain of Bernard Cornwell and Conn Iggulden this is for you. In fact I am jealous because you are going to read this for the first time. I wish I could go back in time and read it again for the first time.

Birds of Prey is the book that precedes this. It is worth reading that first. That is not a bad thing though, my second favourite book of all time.

The Fort
The Fort
by Bernard Cornwell

1.0 out of 5 stars Fort this was terrible, pure terrible., 15 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Fort (Hardcover)
After owning and buying every Bernard Cornwell book there is, and loving them all, I would consider myself a fan. It pains me to write therefore that I couldn't even finish this. I laboured and laboured each night with it but at just over half way I ended up throwing it away. I couldn't even bring myself to take it to the charity shop and inflict pain on anyone getting it for a bargain. The mistake with this I feel is that Bernard has been caught up in trying to tell the facts, without thinking about the story telling, and as a book is to entertain, he had failed miserably. This is one to miss, in fact if this was a first time author it wouldn't even have got published. Terrible.

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)
by Ken Follett
Price: 15.84

2.0 out of 5 stars Follett'e best book!?!, 19 Nov 2010
No! What an absolute let down. Without the doubt the worst Ken Follett book I have read. In fact it is so poor I doubt that the great man even wrote it. How can the author of Pillars of the Earth write this? The first 200 pages are dreadful. If I hadn't read Ken Follett before the book would have been at a second hand store long ago. To try and build suspense over the will the World go to war and create the first ever World War, or won't it, beggars belief. Sorry to dissapoint you Ken but the whole world knows this. I know you are trying to build characters and story around the events that unfolded but that was ridiculous and tedious to the extreme. The next few hundred pages are okay in places, but characters shift personalities without reason. It is as if Ken has forgotten what the characters were supposed to be like. The best example seems to be of Fitz. In the beginning he seems a likeable character and then half way though you think when did he turn into a plank. Ken Follett's writing also seems to be tired and lazy. I got fed up reading, "Fitz Said:" blah blah and then "Maud Said:" blah blah; "Ethel Said". Everybody in the book just SAYS! Surely an author of Ken's abilities can think of otherways to explain how people and characters communicate? Dreadful, just dreadful. The only reason I have given this two stars is because I have actually managed to finish it, but I can't say how many times it nearly became a one with a non finish. Sorry Ken, but even the greatest authors have an off day.

The Burning Land (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 5)
The Burning Land (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 5)
by Bernard Cornwell
Price: 5.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor, 10 Jun 2010
I love Bernard Cornwell. I hate this book. It is his worst for a long long time, perhaps ever. Boring and tedious, when have you ever been able to say that about a Cornwell book?

The Given Day
The Given Day
by Dennis Lehane
Price: 6.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Five stars! Are you kidding me?, 10 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Given Day (Paperback)
Five stars! Are you kidding me?

I tried and tried to get into this book but failed miserably. I really wanted to enjoy it that I had to battle with myself each night to just give it another chance as I have loved Dennis Lehane since Darkness Take My Hand.

After just over 200 pages I gave up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2011 9:07 AM GMT