Profile for J. Makin > Reviews

Content by J. Makin

J. Makin "Jersey Bean" (Jersey, The original one!)

Page: 1 | 2
Stack the Countries
Stack the Countries

5.0 out of 5 stars never too old to learn, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Stack the Countries (App)
Good free app, educational,
lots of things I didn't know about, to make it a bit more of a challenge try it in a different language.

English Kings and Queens
English Kings and Queens

1.0 out of 5 stars Looked Interesting, 15 April 2013
This review is from: English Kings and Queens (App)
I was looking forward to this ap, but it doesn't appear to work on Kindle Fire, I won't delete it yet in case the software gets fixed.

Silentnight Ultrawarm 13.5 Tog Winter Duvet - King Size - Extra Thick
Silentnight Ultrawarm 13.5 Tog Winter Duvet - King Size - Extra Thick
Offered by Retail-ABC Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Snugly & kind to Geese & Ducks, 20 Feb 2013
I needed a new duvet and initially was going to buy a duck/goose down duvet; I will go into the reasons why I opted for a synthetic duvet after. Anyway after reading the reviews I am extremely pleased with the duvet, it is warm, snugly and lightweight and holds its shape nicely, as well as being very good value for money, I would highly recommend it and would buy another Silentnight synthetic duvet without hesitation.
So the reason I didn't buy a feather duvet was that after seeing how the feathers are actually harvested from live birds, who are left plucked, in acute pain, distressed and with no kind of pain relief or treatment to their poor tortured bodies, and then when they eventually heal they are plucked all over again, I would not endorse this cruelty, like many people I was ignorant of how the feathers were harvested and thought they were a by-product of the meat trade. This awful practice happens in eastern European countries (where most of the feathers come from) as they are the cheapest because of lack of animal welfare laws or legislation. However, I should point out after researching it, that there are legitimate firms who do not harvest from live birds - and this is reflected in the price but at least there is an option of buying without causing suffering for those who want a feather duvet. I have never slept in a feather duvet so cannot comment on the difference, all I know is that I get a good nights sleep in comfort and warmth from this synthetic duvet :-)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2013 1:26 PM BST

Météo marine
Météo marine

5.0 out of 5 stars clear & concise, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Météo marine (App)
Wonderful app if you either live by the coast or are visiting a coastal area. Lots of detail and like the other Meteo apps very accurate, would love to see the Meteo a dix jours as an android app next.

wetter.com
wetter.com

2.0 out of 5 stars not for UK, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: wetter.com (App)
This app looked promising, but could not locate Jersey, (not in the U S A ) but the original one, the little Island famous for Lilly Langtry, Jersey, cows etc. It only found a couple of places in France none anywhere near Jersey which is only 8 miles off the Normandy coat, so had to delete it. It is probably very good for America & Germany but not me!

Merrell Women's Calia Otter Hiking Athletic Shoes J55690 6 UK, 39 EU
Merrell Women's Calia Otter Hiking Athletic Shoes J55690 6 UK, 39 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 4 Jan 2013
This is the third pair of Merrell hiking shoes I have bought and as per the others I got them strait out of the box and promptly did a 5 mile walk, they are instant comfort and don't need wearing in. As with the others I would recommend getting either a half or full size up (depending on what thickness of socks you wear). They are not waterproof, but don't advertise as being so, but can take a bit of rain and fairly muddy conditions without your feet being saturated. Brilliant shoes :-)

Swees® Ultra Slim New Kindle Fire HD Case / Smart Cover with Stand for the New Kindle Fire HD 7" Tablet 16GB or 32GB (25 Oct 2012 Version) with Built-in Magnet for Sleep / Wake Feature, Includes Screen Protector and Stylus Pen (Pink)
Offered by swees-shop

2.0 out of 5 stars Problem somewhere, 4 Jan 2013
I bought one of these covers for my Kindle Fire HD as they looked slimmer than the bulkier "book style" ones I had seen. It fitted well and looked nice with adequate protection, but the problem I experienced was that every time I opened the cover and swiped to unlock the screen, it would turn off quite randomly and go into sleep mode; initially I thought that I was pressing where the magnet to activate the sleep mode was, but even when I was resting the kindle on the pillow to read it, it would randomly lock the screen. I wondered if it was a problem with the Kindle but as soon as I replaced this cover with the more bulky book style type the problem vanished, I did try it again to see if it was just a random happening, but unfortunately it was not the case and the same problem persisted. It is now sitting in the charity box! Pity because it looked the part.

ChefTap Recipe App
ChefTap Recipe App

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth it, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: ChefTap Recipe App (App)
How many times to you find a recipe when browsing on line and think I must print it off to keep for future reference, then you either lose it and then forget all about it until months later. This app is fantastic and easy to use, find a recipe you like, go to the icon at the bottom of the kindle screen (don`t know what its called) tap on the share and add to cheftap simple as that, especially being free, but I would have gladly paid for it.

Matching Pairs
Matching Pairs

4.0 out of 5 stars classic game, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Matching Pairs (App)
Thi
s game does what it says,a good way of relaxing if you've got a bit
of spare time. Lots of levels and difficulties so could be played by all age groups from the very young to the older person who wants to test the grey matter!

Joseph Joseph Uni-tool 5-in-1 Kitchen Utensil - Grey
Joseph Joseph Uni-tool 5-in-1 Kitchen Utensil - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 in 1 uni-tool, 7 Jan 2012
I saw these, bought two, (one for home and one for the motorhome) and have not been disappointed; it does what it says and so far seems to be hard wearing. Especially good for campers as it saves the need for several different utensils. Would definitely recommend

Page: 1 | 2