Profile for Michael D > Reviews

Now and Forever
Now and Forever
by Bernie Nolan

4.0 out of 5 stars Now and forever., 29 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Now and Forever (Paperback)
This book is so fast it leaves you breathless. It races through a childhood festooned with good and bad, tears and laughter, and disbelief. A career of singing with her sisters and solo racing around the British club scene, working clubs and television. Through teenage crushes, her sex life, failed romances, marriage and motherhood to illness, disease and finally death. It is a heart felt story that cannot fail to move you in some way or another. This isn't necessarily a sad story rather celebration of a full life. Bernie Nolan is a hugely lucky lady who has experienced a full diversity of living life to the absolute full. She fought cancer unsuccessfully, just as I am, knowing too that it is a battle I will ultimately lose.
She has a story to tell that doesn't dwell too long on any one aspect of it. But slips easily from one area into the next seamlessly. This makes for an easy read that wants you to keep turning pages until you can find a suitable rest, however there is nowhere to rest so you just have to keep turning those pages. You won't regret buying this book for many reasons one of which is the feeling of hope you get all the way to the end and its nice that Bernie 's husband brings you right up to date.
Bernie Nolan was taken too soon by cancer, just as many cancer patients are. I read this and found it gave me a little comfort, a few smiles and much hope.

Notebooks Pro
Notebooks Pro

5.0 out of 5 stars An office in your pocket, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Notebooks Pro (App)
I have a few office type apps on my iPhone but none are anywhere near as good as Notebooks Pro. I'm not going to run through all it's applications as I would be here all day but needless to say so far this app has not let me down. Notebooks Pro, that's all you need to know.

Blue Badge Company Marina Stripe Hologram-Safe Disabled Parking Permit Holder and Timer Wallet

4.0 out of 5 stars Blue Badge Holder, 8 Nov. 2013
Having poor mobility due to cancer and being on crutches my local authority Blue Badge is invaluable, hence I wanted something to protect it. I never dreamed that there would be a purpose made holder for it and such a nice one at that. Its described as Hand made in UK and whilst they make them in many colours and designs, many subdued, as this was going in my daughters car she wanted something with a bit more style. The predominantly blue striped design was ideal for her. When you open the holder the new style clock and Blue Badge fit perfectly. The clock goes in the left clear plastic pocket allowing the dial to be accessed and adjusted without removing it from the holder. The new style and size Blue Badge fits in the right hand plastic pocket. This design allows you to set your clock and display the Blue Badge on your dashboard as easily as it gets. I've only had the holder a short time but already I can approve the design. The plastic pockets appear thin but as once the Blue Badge and clock are in place you never have to touch them again so the pockets shouldn't get much handling. We are very pleased with the holder even though we felt it was a little expensive and the striped design is ideal. The Blue Badge Company cater for all tastes as they also make more subdued holders ie in plain black for instance and I have no difficulty in recommending this product to all Blue Badge holders.

Pines (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 1)
Pines (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pines, Peeks, 7 Nov. 2013
I'm avoiding a 'spoiler' here which would be so easy to do because I want you all to read this for yourselves. It begins and ends at full speed and somewhat believable for a book of fiction, although at the very beginning I didn't believe quite where it was going. At the end of the he book the author admits 'Twin Peeks' as being the inspiration behind 'Pines' and if like me you are a huge 'Twin Peeks' fan then you can see what he means. This of course is not a plagiarism but a homage to one of the greatest TV series ever. Pines stands alone of course and if you have never seen 'Twin Peeks' then it certainly won't detract from the story or the suspense.
Ethan is a Secret Service agent sent to a small town in America to discover the whereabouts of two fellow Secret Service agents who have been missing for some considerable time. Pines obviously has many dark secrets and Ethan arrives and is immediately involved in a serious traffic accident. From here you just have to keep page turning and you won't be disappointed. In my honest opinion Blake Crouch has produced a little mini masterpiece here in Pines. Don't miss it.

1000 Yards - A John Milton Short Story (John Milton Series)
1000 Yards - A John Milton Short Story (John Milton Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Short page turner, 30 Oct. 2013
This was really an excellent read with a stunningly clever plot. There was very little down time between the action which made this novella even faster paced. The pages just kept on turning. The plot begins with letters between government officials outlying, almost in code really, a black ops scenario and perhaps the only man capable of full filling this mission. Then it's straight into the action. I've happily given this novella 5 stars because in my opinion the writer is very professional and has created a little work of art. Will definitely be seeking out further novels by Mark Dawson.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2013 12:43 PM GMT

Projects for My First Mac: 50+ Projects to Try on Your New Mac
Projects for My First Mac: 50+ Projects to Try on Your New Mac

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy little book, 9 Oct. 2013
Having used Macs for a good 20 years I figured I just about knew my way around most Apple equipment. From my G4, G5 desktops to my iBook and on to my latest MacBook Pro with Retina screen, that excludes iPhones and iPods by the dozens, I'd used just about all of them for business and pleasure. That also meant knowing my way around the software including Quark, Photoshop, Corel Draw etc etc. Recently with my new MacBook Pro sitting on my lap I started tapping keys and realised there was so much more this Mac could do, than I knew how to do. Using help and Google helped but I wanted something more hands on friendly, something I could carry around and dip into as and when required, something that didn't take 20 pages to explain and something that didn't assume I am an idiot.
I decided to have a hunt on my Kindle as I had found quite a few good books to help me in the past. I'm glad to say I wasn't disappointed this time either. A quick search for MacBook Pro pulled this book up with many others, some were the "bible" type books that were all singing all dancing headache inducing, pocket reducing door stops. Projects for My First Mac was there in among all the others. It had good reviews, looked nicely laid out and was inexpensive enough that I had to buy it. Now as I explained earlier this is by no means my first Mac but the simple way this book was laid out and the topics it highlighted were exactly what I wanted. Like many of my Mac mates we never used all the potential of our kit and so much was wasted which is such a shame. I'm not going to explain all the projects, in fact I'm not going to explain any of them. This book is so easy I'm going to let the book sell it's self. If you buy this and happen to know how to do all the projects here, then you haven't lost much, however if you find some new things to play with, then you're a winner. Whether you're a complete beginner just moving from Windows based PCs or if you know your way around them already I still say, buy this book now.

iCloud: for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac and Windows
iCloud: for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac and Windows

5.0 out of 5 stars Icloud explained guide, 24 Sept. 2013
For such a low price this book is definitely worth purchasing. I was quite surprised at the amount of useful content and there were many questions I had answered after just one quick glance through the index. I did read the book cover to cover and whilst that was informative I found it much more useful to delve in to specific topics to resolve questions I had. I would recommend reading it through first though as this gives the reader the style of the author. Either way I honestly believe this book is a useful addition to anyone's kindle.

iOS 7 Guide - Tips, Tricks and all the Secret Features Exposed for your iPhone and iPod Touch

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful little guide, 21 Sept. 2013
On the day that iSO 7 was launched, final version and not beta that is, the airwaves were alive with...... well not a lot really. Twitter rang off the hook with complaints while Facebook faced off with even more complaints. The following day it transpired that an awful lot of the complaints were due to length of time it took to download. Many consumers complained about 6 hour download times or longer. Mine was 45 minutes because I did it early hours of the morning rather than 6pm gmt when it was launched in the UK. Not many people had a good word to say about, so just to set the record straight a little, I think iOS 7 will prove to be a great successor. Okay, the iOS 7 guide. This little kindle book is quite nicely laid out and has some very good graphics to example the topic being discussed. It also covers quite a few topics although by no means all. If you want that then you'll need to be purchasing one of those iOS 7 bible type books that cover everything. The book is described as Tips, Tricks and all the Secrets exposed and this is we're the book falls short. It describes tips and tricks but doesn't always show you how to do it so you find yourself looking back and forth between your iPhone screen and the picture in the book and trying to figure out how they got it on their screen. Okay it is early days yet and I'm quite pleased I downloaded this book. After all it was cheap, it told me it can do things I wouldn't have guessed at without this guide, it pointed me in the right direction on some other functions and also convinced me that the upgrade was worth doing. I think with a little time it will even soothe those of you that suffered on launch day and help you to forget those 6 hour down loads. The book is well worth the tiny amount being charged for it and it is one I will keep on my kindle.

Unearthing the Bones
Unearthing the Bones

1.0 out of 5 stars Not short story but sample chapters of another novel., 15 Sept. 2013
It clearly states in its blurb "short story" , that is until you download it and realise it's only a few sample chapters. I really don't like this type of thing and always feel cheated. I'd rather they be honest and upfront. Okay it's free but that doesn't't make it right. If, like me, you don't like this type of advertising then please say so...... and Amazon, nip this type of thing in the bud.

Private Gimble (Gimble's War)
Private Gimble (Gimble's War)

3.0 out of 5 stars WW 1 Sniper fiction., 7 Sept. 2013
This is a very short story hence the three stars. How can I possibly review a story this short under a five star score. But that said it is none the less a nice little story about a Cornishman in the trenches of the first world war where he has earned a name for himself as a crack shot. Employed as a sniper he is called upon to travel amongst the different companies to help resolve German sniper problems to front line troops. That is the basis of this short story. The incident described in the story is just one of what could have been many short incidents and this is where the story falls down. This could have grown into a novella at least, if not a full novel. I honestly believe there is enough meat in the idea that this could have been a very good and successful book. Three stars as it stands for a very convincing short story.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3