Profile for Robbie > Reviews

Tifosi Tyrant 2.0 + 1,5 UVEX Ladies black UVEX
Offered by BillyTheTree Jewelry & Watches
Price: 34.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I can see, I can see!, 30 July 2014
The description as all but useless! First of all these are bifocal readers. The patches at the bottom of the lenses, visible in the photos, are the +1.5 strength reading lenses. The rest of the lenses are normal. Second they are not ladies, they are unisex. Look them up on the Tifosi website for details. Third, not sure why they say UVEX - I thought UVEX was a different brand altogether.

For a couple of years I've been religiously attaching my Garmin to my bike before going for a ride when in reality my presbyopia meant it was of limited use other than logging my activities. When hiking I've had to put on my readers every time I wanted to consult my handheld gps or map. And when running, my Garmin wristwatch has suffered the same fate as my bike gps, only worse since my wrist would be waving about when trying to read it.

After thinking surely someone has a solution and typing a few thing in google I hit upon Tifosi's range of bifocal sunglasses. There are several bifocal models to choose from and the dimensions are helpfully described on their site.

The smoke lens seems well suited to all round use. They are light enough OK for cloudy conditions too. Polaroids are useless when it comes to reading electronic screens so don't dismiss them because they are not polarised. They are very light and close fitting and seem to be good quality. They come in a nice hard case with a good soft pouch/cleaning lens.

On my bike the magnifying bit is so perfectly placed that when I glance down it seems miraculous that my gps is in perfect focus! Even when dropped on the bars, I can see well. Then when looking up the transition is seamless.

Running is slightly trickier because you get used to glancing down to see the ground immediately in front of you and that can be a bit blurry because of the magnification. But being able to glance at my wrist to see the time/pace/distance etc in perfect focus is again amazing. Unlike the bike I find you need to be more conscious to not tilt your head down but to glance down through the bottom part of the lens.

For every day outdoor wear, you are aware of the dividing line at the bottom of your vision but you quickly ignore it. I'm looking forward to hiking and being able to read map/gps etc without fumbling for glasses.

They have transformed my outdoor activities. I wish I knew about these before. I suspect other people (golfers etc) would find them useful.

I saved a little buying direct from billythetree in the US (in theory I should have been liable for 5 or so VAT but wasn't stung for it) Ordering via Amazon would probably be more convenient.

Swimovate Pool Mate Anti-Chlorine Swimmers Shampoo
Swimovate Pool Mate Anti-Chlorine Swimmers Shampoo
Offered by Swim Stop Ltd
Price: 9.00

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not as good as Ultraswim for me, 25 July 2014
Everyone's hair is different so my experience may not be the same as others. My hair is short and I swim twice a week. When my supply of Ultraswim ran low I tried this as an alternative. At first I thought it was rubbish but my hair adjusted after a few washes and I found it OK. Not as good as Ultraswim but given that it is British it was easier and cheaper to get hold of I was OK with the compromise and have been using it for 15 months or so.

I love the smell of coconut too so it is a winner in that respect.

But my hair has been getting more unmanageble over the last few months. But it has been hard to wash, getting straw like and feeling almost waxy or squeaky and hard to tame. I was blaming it on my barber doing something funny! However, thinking about it now, this is what it used be like years ago before I got onto swimming shampoos.

Last week I lost the last half of my current bottle of Pool Mate all over my swim bag (the 3rd leak in the last year due to the abyssmal lid design that pops open with very little pressure).

On the plus side my swim bag now smells nice even after repeated washing!

So I went back to my remaining bottle of Ultraswim and the moment I used it my hair felt silky and manageable again. Ultraswim used to have a UK distributer but not any more as far as I can tell so it is hard to track down and prices are high. But I think it is worth it. With my short hair it lasts a long time. Ultraswim has a conditioner too but I've never found the need for it.

It is a shame because I really wanted to like the local pool mate shampoo.

Popular Loom Bands Kit for Gift
Popular Loom Bands Kit for Gift
Offered by Fusion Online
Price: 1.87

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap tat, 10 July 2014
Ordered http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GX496UW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (at least what is pictured for that product) and I got this instead (again, what is pictured)

This is cheapest of the cheap tat. I know it is cheap and you get what you pay for but it doesn't even belong in a pound shop's bargain bin. Makes me sad that there are asian factories churning out this rubbish that after 5 minutes breaks and ends up in landful.

Aidata WristMate Massage Beads Wrist Rest Support for Computer Users - For use with Computer Mouse
Offered by Retailaneous
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it - avoid cheap imitations., 10 July 2014
My original is an IMAK ergoBeads product from USA. I also have an Allsop branded version from USA. They have lasted years but are beginning to wear. They are hadt to find and/or expensive in UK. I got a couple of inexpensive ones on ebay which were absolute cheap, faulty tat. So I went for this inbetween version.

It is as good as my originals (not sure if there is breach of copyright, I think IMAK was the original) and well worth the 10 or so. The lycra is cool on the wrist, has a very pleasing stretchiness, the beads feel great under the wrist and adapt to the pressure of your wrist. Quality is excellent. It also makes a great stress reliever to squeeze or flop from one hand to the other! I simply can't work without one as my wrist on a hard desk is vey uncomfortable.

Ateam Bracelet Craft Loom Bandz Board & Hook For All Loom Bands
Ateam Bracelet Craft Loom Bandz Board & Hook For All Loom Bands
Offered by topideal
Price: 5.40

3.0 out of 5 stars What you get depends on seller!, 10 July 2014
Product rating is a bit pointless since various sellers have jumped on this product description to peddle whatever version they have good or bad. "Loom Board Colours may vary" - it's more than the colours that vary! One thing is clear, at prices from 3-5 you are not getting a genuine rainbow loom and it does not claim to be!

The first one I ordered was from China Outlet and it was very close to the pictured product, i.e. looks very much like an official rainbow loom with the exception of the red arrow. It came bubble wrapped with a decent hook, again a clone of the official one. It seems sturdy quality. Unfortunately it was dropped on the first day and a couple of hooks broke - I'm sure that would have happened regardless of the brand.

The second I ordered was from DayzHappy - this came in a box with a packet of bands, a very basic hook and a very cheap and nasty loom that looks like it willlast 5 minutes.

So I guess it is hit and miss what you get. Amazon should really tighten up on these type of listings.

Invero  MINI HDMI To HDMI 24K Gold Plated Cable ideal for Panasonic HC-V500M - 1.8M
Invero MINI HDMI To HDMI 24K Gold Plated Cable ideal for Panasonic HC-V500M - 1.8M
Offered by Hostey
Price: 0.54

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints, 7 Feb 2014
The cable seems sturdy, the connectors fit fine and it work well with my GoPro Hero2 and my Canon EOS 650D connecting to a TV. The latter sells a hideously overpriced branded cable that seems pointless. So overall good value for money.

Moto G Flip Cover - Vivid Red
Moto G Flip Cover - Vivid Red
Price: 15.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 16 Jan 2014
The red isn't quite as vivid as the photos suggest which is fine by me. I suppose this is in part due to the fine cross grain texture of the material (just visible in the photos). This texture makes it more grippy than the smooth back of the stock cover and gives it a pleasing soft, almost rubbery, feel. I have a feeling the case could discolour but time will tell.

Fitting was easy and adds little bulk due the the fact it replaces the stock back and the front cover is thin. Despite being thin the cover is quite rigid and sits flush with the screen.

The cover will completely fold back on itself. I was concerned that the cover would impede picture taking but when held in landscape with the cover dangling below I had no issues.

A lot pricier than cheap tat covers but I think you get good sleek fit and quality for the money.

Park Tool CM5.2 Cyclone Chain Scrubber - Blue
Park Tool CM5.2 Cyclone Chain Scrubber - Blue
Price: 19.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy, 2 Jan 2014
The review by JB of London sums it up nicely so not a great deal to add.

The handle works really well to hold the device in place while turning the pedal with the other hand. A surprising amount of "iron filings" ended up on the magnet. I used some halfords own brand citrus cleaner and cleaning afterwards was a simple matter of rinsing the tool and leaving the parts on an old newspaper to dry off.

In summary, quick, easy and very effective.

Timex Ironman 42 Lap Dual Tech T5K403 SU Men's Analog and Digital Quartz Watch with Resin Strap
Offered by Ciaowatch
Price: 75.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid quality watch, 23 Dec 2013
This is a chunky heavy watch in case you are used to the lighter weight plastic ironman watches. It took me a while to get used to that. Display isn't white like the picture, more grey. Buckle isn't rounded off as much as my lighter timexes so it hurt my wrist for a while until but I have got used to it. Orange band is rugged and strong and looked great when new but it is beginning to get grubby. I have a black coat that seems to be rubbing off on the band too. Ingiglo isn't great on this watch.

DIGIFLEX Mini A Female USB To Micro B Male USB Charger Converter Adaptor
DIGIFLEX Mini A Female USB To Micro B Male USB Charger Converter Adaptor
Offered by Digiflex
Price: 1.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply doesn't work., 10 Dec 2013
I went for this brand because it had better ratings than some others out there. I tried it on my moto g phone - on first insertion it caused my phone to restart. Subsequently the best I got was intermittent mass storage connection notifications as it wiggled loosely in the socket. Then I tried it with my Huawei G300 and a different USB cable - similarly loose in the socket. At most the phone reports "battery charged" when it clearly hasn't. Hardly worth the effort of returning it at this price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5