Profile for Robbie > Reviews

Ultra Slim Neutral Density ND1000 Filter 58mm For Digital Camera LF506
Ultra Slim Neutral Density ND1000 Filter 58mm For Digital Camera LF506
Offered by XCSOURCE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 3 Sept. 2015
I'm sure pros would find fault but for an enthusiast this is excellent value. I haven't noticed any strong colour cast and sharpness is good. I found the threading a bit fiddly on my Canon kit lens. Some of these accessories are what you pay for them. But I'm pleasantly surprised with this filter and recommend if you want to give long exposures a go without investing a lot. Neoprene pouch is a bonus if a bit fiddly.

Craghoppers Men's Calta Short Sleeve Shirt - Evergreen/Evergreen, Medium
Craghoppers Men's Calta Short Sleeve Shirt - Evergreen/Evergreen, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent comfortable quick drying travel shirt., 3 Sept. 2015
Great for travel - dries completely overnight in a hotel bathroom, colour choice is reasonable, size M not to floaty on my slim frame, colour choice reasonable and importantly feels as comfortable as a 100% cotton shirt. Drying loops inside can be a bit irritating on the skin.

CamelBak Trinkflasche Podium Chill 610, Sport Fuchsia (Rot), 52312
CamelBak Trinkflasche Podium Chill 610, Sport Fuchsia (Rot), 52312
Offered by MMP Living

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bottle., 3 Sept. 2015
Love the twist locking spout - so much easier than pulling your teeth out on a conventional spout. Seals tightly but can be left in the unlocked position in a bike cage without spilling. Easy to squeeze, robust, and of course chilling. Not sure how much chill effect you get from the insulation but something is better than nothing. Makes a good kid's school bottle too - one of the few that will not leak and will survive a fall on school playground tarmac.

Manfrotto OFFROAD Tripod with Ball Head - Red
Manfrotto OFFROAD Tripod with Ball Head - Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Big compromises for the sake of weight and size., 3 Sept. 2015
Kind of wishing I hadn't got this but yet it gave me the opportunity to grab the northern lights.

Yes the light weight and compactness is an incentive to actually strap the thing on my backpack or put in a holiday suitcase. But the time consuming and fiddly extension of the legs is a disincentive to take it off your backpack and actually use it.

1. Twist 3 sections of smooth aluminium per leg to loosen.
2. Extend each leg section and twist again to tighten. The markings, particularly the max. extension marks, do not go all the way round the tubes so invariably you will end up pulling a few leg sections right out and have to reinsert.
3. Use tripod.
4. Let's twist again, like we did last summer, to loosen each section, collapse and twist again to tighten. (Forgive me for planting that song in your head:)

Say you do have the patience to erect the thing and you mount your consumer DSLR with standard zoom (within the specified load) you will find that when you point, clamp then release the camera you will have had to aim high to take into account the play. Partly the flex of the legs (particularly the low section) and I assume the plastics of the head construction. It is much more suited to a compact camera or gopro (e.g. capturing timelapse) and I think the load specs are optimistic.

It is so light and the leg spread relatively narrow that a strong wind gust toppled my tripod and damaged my kit lens - my fault I suppose really because it is clearly not that stable. There is no hook to hang a bag/weight for added stability. I may tray to hack one together.

Having said all that I managed a 30 second northern lights photo (wasn't expecting to see them at all) and a 30 second lake photo with 10x ND filter that I wouldn't have got otherwise. Both were acceptably sharp.

So in the situation of limited weight when travelling or hiking, AND it is a case of this tripod or nothing, AND you have the patience to erect it, AND you accept the compromise that it is not the most stable thing etc it may well be worth it to avoid missed opportunities.

But if you are willing to carry something at least a bit heavier, sturdier and easier to use then give this tripod a wide berth.

Balega Hidden Comfort -
Balega Hidden Comfort -
Offered by Northern Runner

5.0 out of 5 stars So comfortable., 11 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Balega Hidden Comfort - (Misc.)
Was looking for a sock and saw DC Rainmaker (respected blogging triathlete) uses them - he says "No questions, these socks…forever. So soft, just love them. I’ve never had blisters with them. Ever." So I ordered them on the strength of his words and agree totally, only thing I'd add is that the cushioning is lovely for troublesome feet like mine (morton's neuroma etc). They are also very easy to slip on.

Kephalonia - Ithaca anavasi
Kephalonia - Ithaca anavasi
by Anavasi
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent map, as usual from Anavasi., 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Kephalonia - Ithaca anavasi (Map)
This review is largely for the Ithaca map. I was looking for an Ithaca map. Initially I assumed that the Ithaca bit of this would be a small inset but in fact it occupies the reverse of the sheet in much larger scale. In fact I could distinguish the individual villa I stayed in.

I visited a large number of the road and trail accessible beaches, went for evening runs and hired a motor boat for a day. in all respects the map was very accurate and more than adequate.

One problem was that unpaved roads can vary considerably from smoothish gravel to very rough. The latter can happen in the space of a season or even a bad storm so it is hard for the map to be accurate for those roads. I also encountered a 2 or 3 that had been partly or completely concreted or tarred compared to the map (2013 edition). So a bit of local common sense is required on the ground and be prepared to back out before getting too far down a bad road!

Features such as churches and monasteries are clearly marked and are very useful landmarks.

The plastic it is printed on is very durable and withstood wind, beaches, seawater spray on the boat etc.

As an aside I discovered I could download from the Anavasi website a Garmin "custom map" version for a few pounds for my Oregon handheld which proved accurate and useful.

Duracell CEF23 Traveller Battery Charger with USB Outlet/ Car Adapter and UK and EU Mains Plug
Offered by Looknstyle

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply a good charger., 9 Sept. 2014
Previous one died after a few years. However it is a great charger so didn't hesitate to replace it with the same model. Charges up to 4 AAs or AAAs, any number at a time (i.e. don't have to be in pairs). Individual charging lights turn green as each cell reaches full charge. Being able to swap out the plug for the euro one is useful. However as a travel charger it is quite bulky. The ability double up as a USB device wall charger, or a backup phone charger (charges device from fully charged AAs) makes it versatile. I had some batteries I was ready to ditch because they wouldn't charge effectively in an old charger but this brought them back to life.

JMT 1Piece Multifunctional Bobber Floating Handheld Stick Floaty Grib W/ Wrist Strap for Gopro Hero 2 3 Camera
Offered by AMA Store -- Ship from Singapore

1.0 out of 5 stars leaked!, 31 Aug. 2014
Nice concept but leaked around the join (near the tripod mount end) on day one of my holiday. Will be returning it. Had to suck salty sea water out using my mouth after every swim otherwise it would begin to sink. I chose this one because of the positive reviews so I guess I was unlucky.

Garmin NiMH Rechargeable Battery for Oregon 600 Series
Garmin NiMH Rechargeable Battery for Oregon 600 Series

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive and poor charging, 7 Aug. 2014
I'd agree with other reviewers who state the issue is really to do with the Oregon's charging circuits and not necessarily with the batteries. A good charger that charges and conditions cells individually (like my Duracell CEF23) is well worth it and you'll get good life from them.

For backup, when you really do want to charge via USB, I keep a little rectangle of stiff but thin plastic (cut from the packaging you find on many products or strawberry cartons etc.) I place this over the little black button inside the battery compartment, insert my non-garmin rechargeables of similar rating and hey presto, the system is notified that a rechargeable battery pack is in use and you can charge them via USB. Be careful not to insert regular batteries with this arrangement and supply USB power! I'm sure you could also tape together the batteries including such a but of plastic. Probably safer in terms of above.

I've heard it argued that the unit's charging circuits are fine tuned to the official battery pack and you risk damage with this hack but I just can't see it.

This way you can charge these batteries in-situ on the road when you only have a phone charger or a car cigarette lighter charger available and it is better than nothing.

Motohuma the Firehead
Motohuma the Firehead

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical childhood in Africa novel, 1 Aug. 2014
Motohuma starts like the typical autobiographical account of childhood in Rhodesia with all the staples - chongololos, tokoloshes, flame lillies, sadza, running round barefoot, spending more time with faithful servant (who smells of lifeboy soap) than with parents etc. But it is more than a name-dropping exercise since it is woven into a fascinatingly rich description. This, I think, is not just appealling to nostalgic ex-rhodies. In fact it reminded me in an odd way of a novel from the other side of the world (The Cure for Death by Lightning)

But there is an air of mystery and the story evolves and shakes off the autobiographical feel. When you let go of the factual side and let yourself get drawn into the less believable aspects of the fiction it is still intruiging and a great read. I feel that after jumping continent then eventually coming back home everything just ties up impossibly neatly, considering the disfunctional life of Motohuma. Surely the crocodiles are still waiting in the night?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6