Profile for Mr. Guy Woodford > Reviews

Content by Mr. Guy Woodford

Mr. Guy Woodford "guy james" (spain)

Page: 1 | 2
Open Your Heart: A Love Song Collection
Open Your Heart: A Love Song Collection
Price: 12.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah Petula....., 4 Feb 2013
What an absolute and under-rated treasure this performer is. She leaves most modern Divas behind with sound and feeling that seems of another era and yet is as fresh today as when the songs were recorded. If you like classy romantic music from a classy lady - buy this. You will not be disappointed. I am 75 and first saw her when I was 20 and doing National Service.- yes 55 years ago.She was lovely then and is lovely now!

Geronimo (Lamar Series in Western History) (The Lamar Series in Western History)
by Robert Marshall Utley
Price: 17.84

3.0 out of 5 stars Factual but dull, 4 Feb 2013
I thought I knew most of this history of the Apaches - and basically, I did. There is a lot of padding of fairly insignificant detail, which really was not too interesting and I did not feel that the author put over the character of the man as much as I would have hoped for. - also the maps were not laid out in a clear fashion so each one looked like the next with no sense of direction. In summary, it was a fairly dry history without any emotional impact. I have been to the site of Fort Bowie (there are a few remaining buildings and part walls) and the ranger there was very informative and you could imagine a lot more by being there, than you can by reading this book..

Sometimes Late at Night
Sometimes Late at Night

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ever, 22 Sep 2012
This review is from: Sometimes Late at Night (Audio CD)
A combination of Bacharach and Bayer Seger made when they were an item, creates one of the finest m.o.r. recordings ever and so under-rated/exposed. I,too, had this on vinyl and as is normal with house moves etc.. it disappeared and I spent years trying to find it on DVD eventually about 5 years ago buying it from the USA.
If you are a fan of Burt B., memorable tunes and a seamless performance BUY THIS. Essential to most collections of thoughtful, tunefull, emotional music. You will never regret it.

Timex Original Men's Quartz Watch with White Dial Analogue Display and Beige Nylon Strap T2N222ZB

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Value......., 30 Jun 2012
at the 75% off price. A good solid everyday watch. At full price - I don't think I would have bought it!

Piano Man: The Very Best Of Billy Joel
Piano Man: The Very Best Of Billy Joel
Price: 7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compilation, 10 Mar 2012
I bought this for one track - 'We did'nt start the fire' which is arguably one of the cleverest and catchiest pop songs ever written. Having never really been into Billy Joel over the years, this was the song that was a wake up call - as this whole CD is great and showcases a talent that if not fully experienced before , will make you wish you had!

Microplane - 40020 - Zester-Grater , black
Microplane - 40020 - Zester-Grater , black
Offered by YOYOS
Price: 16.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Best option, 10 Mar 2012
My wife says this is the best zester/grater she has ever used - difficult to say more. 'Nuff said ?

A Proper Introduction to the Four Aces: Heart and Soul
A Proper Introduction to the Four Aces: Heart and Soul
Price: 6.78

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as described... song missing., 16 Feb 2012
As a 20 something in the 50's I used to enjoy 'The 4 aces' and had particularly fond memories of a record of theirs called 'My Hero'. Currently going through a bout of nostalgia, I tried to find this recording and there it was - listed on this record, but on none of the other compilations. I ordered the item and received it last week, but - guess what - the very track I ordered it for does not appear on the CD cover or on the disc itself ! I gave the disc 2 stars because this is sloppy marketing - selling and advertising something that is not there. Any comments 'Proper' records or Amazon ?
The rest of the CD is fine and brings back memories but missing the key song leaves a big gap for me.

My Heart
My Heart
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 1.67

5.0 out of 5 stars A class Act, 31 Jan 2012
This review is from: My Heart (Audio CD)
A reminder of how things used to be, when you could hear words and not get bludgeoned by electronic noise. I enjoyed all of it but was particularly impressed by son Terry's rendition of 'Happy Endings' a song written by him and Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys. Poignant, deserving of greater exposure and Doris perhaps should have also sang this as a separate track as it was written for her.
All in all, a good addition and played regularly in this house.

Frank Sinatra a Life in Pictures
Frank Sinatra a Life in Pictures
by Yann-Brice Dherbier
Price: 22.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 31 Jan 2012
Not good value in my opinion. Many photos have been seen before and the originals were a small percentage of the whole. I felt short changed - mind you I do have over 90 books about FS, if you only have a few this could be worth getting.

Frank Sinatra, The Boudoir Singer
Frank Sinatra, The Boudoir Singer
by Darwin Porter
Price: 19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A laugh a minute!, 31 Jan 2012
Sinatra once said that if all the stories about his love life were true, he would be a specimen in a jar. As others have said, a titilating ramble though back numbers of 'The National Enquirer' based on speculation and the odd germ of truth.
The quotes are laughable and the 'facts' pulled from other author's versions of his life and -like cheap elastic - stretched to the limit!
I read it, I enjoyed parts of it and I took most of it with a pinch of salt. Of course, our Frank had congress with many famous and beautiful women that is not in dispute - but almost all the names mentioned are no longer with us and cannot confirm or deny any allegations. The 'News of the World' in a book and look what happened to that 'worthy' publication!

Page: 1 | 2