Profile for John > Reviews

Content by John

John (South East, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
StarTech.com USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet NIC Network Adapter with 3 Port Hub - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Much smaller than it looks, and works perfectly under Linux, 7 April 2014
I just bought a new Toshiba Kirabook (which is an ultrabook), and since it doesn't have an ethernet port, and I have often run out of USB ports, I thought I'd look for something like this.

I looked at this for a while, debating whether to get it or not, because I wasn't sure how portable it would be. I also looked at separate USB / ethernet adaptors and hubs to see if they would be better suited to my needs. I needn't have worried - the dimensions that are given in the product description are actually for the box it comes in! The actual dimensions of the unit itself are about 9.2 cm x 6.6 cm x 1.5 cm .. pretty tiny!

I like it because I can use it on its own (without any external power) for portability, but use the external power supply when I need to power something heavy like an external hard drive.

I am using it with Linux, and it even worked with the Linux Mint live distro (both ethernet and USB hub). One thing I did notice is that my Kirabook had a bit of a stumble when this unit was plugged in and connected to an ethernet cable, though it might have been just some sort of delay (perhaps looking for network boot?). Certainly it is quicker booting without it connected.

Just out of curiosity, I tried it with a Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (via a USB Host / OTG cable): the hub part worked fine - the mouse I connected showed up as a pointer on the screen), but unfortunately the network connection didn't seem to register. It may be that other Android devices have suitable drivers for it.

All-in-all, this is a very nice little device, and suits my needs perfectly. If it came in silver, it would get 5 stars :-)

USB Embedded Hosts: the Developer's Guide
USB Embedded Hosts: the Developer's Guide
by Jan Axelson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not The Book I Was After, 16 Mar 2014
This book basically describes how to use USB devices on a Linux host, once the correct device drivers have been loaded. So you get a lot of stuff about how to install packages (using apt-get), compile code, and then how to use mice, keyboards, network adaptors etc. from C. The title is somewhat misleading, because the USB part is largely irrelevant in this book - it simply assumes that you have the correct drivers which then do all the hard work for you.

There is a small chapter on how to use low-level USB facilities for a custom device, but not enough to make it useful. I didn't want a book about how to read (e.g.) keyboard presses, I wanted a book about how to use the USB port, and talk to endpoints etc., preferably using low-level ioctl calls. This is not that book.

EasyCap USB Video Capture Adapter
EasyCap USB Video Capture Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT As Described, But *Does* Work Under Linux, 6 Mar 2014
I think there are so many clones of the actual device, that it is almost impossible to tell what you're actually getting. Whoever shipped this to me may have even believed that it was the item they described, but in fact it wasn't:

What they described was a device that uses the Syntek STK1160 chip (which is a video to USB bridge) and a Philips SAA7113 compatible video decoder. What I got was a device that identifies itself as "Fushicai USBTV007 Video Grabber". It doesn't even have the same text as in the picture - mine actually says "EasyCAP" on it. Whilst not what I actually ordered, it does work under Linux (Fedora 18 in my case) using the "usbtv" driver. For me this simply loaded automatically, and worked out-of-the-box, without having to do any setting up or configuration at all.

So don't order this item if you actually need something that has the STK1160 chip. If you don't care, and just want something that works (including under Linux), then this is fine.

As an aside, the item came pretty quickly, and the video quality is as good as the cameras that I'm plugging into it. (Haven't tested the audio, so can't say if it works or not.) There is about 2/3 second delay between what happens in front of the camera and when it actually appears on the computer screen, which I presume is down to the delay in sending uncompressed video over USB 2.0.

UPDATE: I decided in the end to send this item back. The reason being that whilst it works, it is not what was described. Charging for the proper item and then sending a clone that is only worth a third of the price is quite cheeky. If you are happy with the clone, then buy a clone that is not pretending to be the real device.

INCREASE YOUR MIND POWER: The Science of Clear Thinking
INCREASE YOUR MIND POWER: The Science of Clear Thinking

1.0 out of 5 stars Mumbo Jumbo Rubbish, 25 Jan 2014
Despite only spending less than a pound on this, I'm still annoyed that I did. It was all going so well, until just after the bit where the sample ended .. and then she talks about Remote Viewing as a scientifically proven principle ... and continues with ESP. Oh dear.

If you're a tree-hugging hippie that believes any old clap trap masquerading under the banner of spiritualism then you'll love this book (which incidentally doesn't actually seem to give any advice other than "exercise regularly" and "take supplements"). If you are even half grounded, you'll hate it. Don't waste your money or the 20 mins it'll take to read it. Utter rubbish.

66Fit Wobble Cushion, Pump & DVD - Blue, 35 cm
66Fit Wobble Cushion, Pump & DVD - Blue, 35 cm

1.0 out of 5 stars Too fragile - buy a different one, 24 Jan 2014
I managed to make hole in this the first time I inflated it, on the opposite side from the valve. I was being as careful as I could but that, it seems, wasn't careful enough! The thing then wouldn't stay inflated, because air kept coming out of the hole. It seems to me that it is far too fragile, and / or extremely poorly designed.

When I was looking for a wobble cushion there seemed to be loads of different options, and it was hard to choose between them. If you are in the same boat, I would advise you not to buy this one - there are plenty others to choose from!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2014 4:20 PM GMT

Potterton Suprima 30-100 PCB Kit 5111603 5102160 407750
Potterton Suprima 30-100 PCB Kit 5111603 5102160 407750

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement for original PCB, 24 Jan 2014
I bought this for the same reasons that everyone does: the original PCB that came with the Potterton Suprima 60L boiler was rubbish, and after a while suffers from heat damage / dry joints etc. and ends up constantly getting itself into a lock-out state where it needs resetting. The various options are basically:
- to repair the PCB (i.e. get your soldering iron out and start fixing the dry joints)
- to replace just the PCB with a reconditioned one (which may keep it going for another couple of years before it goes again)
- to replace the whole control unit with this item - a brand new PCB kit

In turns out that our PCB had already been replaced at least twice before, so I decided that rather than simply delay things with a replacement PCB, I bought this kit instead. You get the entire control mechanism (temperature knob, led and all), and most importantly: the entire PCB is actually enclosed to shield it from the heat of the boiler.

The whole unit comes in a box with the kit, together with new electrode and earth wires (for both 30-80, and 100 models). This is important because you'll want to replace the electrode wire as well, when you replace the PCB.

I got a proper heating engineer, who knew exactly what he was doing, to replace the unit itself (and I would strongly recommend this option rather than doing it yourself, unless you have experience with these type of boilers), and he managed it in his personal best time of 1 hour. Job done. £155 + £48 fitting = £203 ... far cheaper than I was getting quoted by other companies that supply the unit as well.

The unit has been fitted now for a couple of months and is working perfectly.

LG G2 Case Black Neoprene Pouch Cover With Caseflex Logo
LG G2 Case Black Neoprene Pouch Cover With Caseflex Logo
Offered by Yousave Accessories

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizes are a bit random, 24 Jan 2014
I actually ordered this for a Nexus 5. The idea was that I wanted to keep the phone in its case (the official LG case) but slip it into a neoprene pouch for extra protection when I was out and about. I reasoned that the case made the phone slighly bigger, so I found a phone that was slightly bigger (the LG G2), and ordered the pouch for that instead.

The pouch seems fine in itself, but it is a fair bit bigger than the phone - i.e almost certainly too big for its intended phone (the LG G2) as well. The shipping note describes the pouch as being "large" rather than specific to the G2, so I suspect they just have a set of categories that they use: for certain phones they ship a "large", others a "medium" etc.

Anyway, the conclusion is that you probably shouldn't rely on this pouch being an exact fit, whatever phone you're buying it for.

Anker® Screen Protector for Google Nexus 5 [3 Pack] Xtreme Scratch Defender Crystal-Clear High-Response Premium with Lifetime Warranty
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Screen Protector I Have Ever Used, 6 Jan 2014
Normally when you put these things on you get loads of bubbles (at worst) or a few (at best), but you always get some which just won't go. This thing went on without any bother, and even the few bubbles that were there initially went after I 'pushed' them out with a cloth. I've never managed to apply a screen protector without being even slightly annoyed with it, so either I'm getting really good at it, or this screen protector really is the best one I've ever used.

I'm seriously thinking about getting their Nexus 7 one as well.

disGuard Screen Protector for ZTE Open Made in Germany
disGuard Screen Protector for ZTE Open Made in Germany
Offered by disGuard Screen Protector

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 4 Nov 2013
This product varies from other screen protectors in that there is only one covering that you remove before application. Others generally have two - one you remove before application, and the other that comes off the front afterwards.

It is also much more sticky than others I have used - so it is very difficult to remove, and leaves a lot of gunk on the phone after it is taken off - which needs to be cleaned off.

Whilst most of these screen protectors are difficult to apply without have a few small bubbles - this one is a nightmare. It has a combination of bubbles, and parallel horizontal lines all the way down the screen. It also has a strange rainbow colour in the film - which makes your phone look as though the screen is starting to unbond itself.

I can't recommend these at all - and personally I'm going to buy some different ones ASAP.

Billion BiPAC 7800N Dual WAN ADSL2+/Broadband Wireless-N Gigabit Firewall Modem Router

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the messiah router ... awful!, 23 April 2012
I bought one of these (new from eBay) to replace the old Netgear router that I had. Having seen the gushing reviews on here about this router, I thought that I couldn't go wrong.

Well ... the reality was incredibly disappointing. The old router sat in a cupboard downstairs, surrounded by brick on three sides, and whilst the signal wasn't particularly strong upstairs, it still worked as best it could. I assumed that something of this calibre (and price!), and with three aerials would be even better. No. The unit kept dropping the Wifi connection continuously with the following kit: Asus Eee PC, iPhone 3S, and Archos 70 ... so much so that it was unusable. In addition, the web interface is not as intuitive as it is made out to be, and I think the unit must be very under-powered in terms of processor, because it frequently hung when trying to use the web interface and change settings. There were even all sorts of spelling / grammar mistakes on the web interface - clearly they hadn't bothered to get them translated properly. Upgrading to the latest firmware made no difference - I packed it up and sent it back after a day.

In the end we upgraded our broadband, so we got a new BT Homehub router, and have had no problems whatsoever with it. The signal is good everywhere in the house and up the garden, and none of our devices drop out in the same way that they did with this router. Clearly lots of people like it, but I must admit that I'm at a loss to figure out why. Be warned!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2012 11:37 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2