Profile for Ward > Reviews

Ward (exeter)

Sibelius: The Complete Symphonies - Karelia - Lemminkäinen - Violin Concerto
Sibelius: The Complete Symphonies - Karelia - Lemminkäinen - Violin Concerto

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight, 11 Nov. 2013
Even if you aren't that familiar with much of Sibelius's work, this collection should surprise and delight you - if only because of the sheer quality of the recording. An absolute bargain.

AURAGLOW 6w LED GU10 Light Bulb, Warm White, 50w Equivalent
AURAGLOW 6w LED GU10 Light Bulb, Warm White, 50w Equivalent

5.0 out of 5 stars delighted, 7 Nov. 2012
I bought into the first generation of LED bulbs a couple of years ago, and was distinctly disappointed by the poor quality of the light. Having heard that the technology has improved, I've now followed a first trial purchase of an Auraglow with two more, as the warm white really is warm, and the brightness is as good as the halogen. Yes, each unit is relatively pricey, but for fitments where the light is very often left on, it will pay back. Do check the space available in your fitments - these are longer than halogens, by a good 10mm or so, to accommodate the power electronics.

Psychobabble: Exploding the Myths of the Self-Help Generation
Psychobabble: Exploding the Myths of the Self-Help Generation
by Dr Stephen Briers

5.0 out of 5 stars Peeling away the sticking plasters, 10 Oct. 2012
I've always been attracted to siren voices promising easy ways to sort out the things I don't like about myself, and given the size and scope of the self-help market I guess I'm fairly typical. So it was a pleasure to find a very readable book that carefully goes through all those promises one by one, looking at what current (high quality!) research says about them, highlighting what doesn't make sense, while acknowledging the bits that do. It also means that I save all the time having to read 23 other sets of books.
If there is a summary thread running through it, it's probably an encouragement simply to be more aware of oneself and of the way we interact with other people wherever and whenever we do, and not to look for miracles, or to expect total control over the world we live in. The book tries to avoid being obvious about offering pat or simple solutions of its own, but does tend to suggest we should actually be a bit more focussed on and attentive to how we see ourselves and how we deal with all the stuff life inevitably throws at us, good and bad.
This is an intelligent book that doesn't insult the intelligence of the reader - we are given good summaries of evidence and, while conclusions are drawn, there is space and encouragement to come to our own. It is definitely worth a read: and with 25 shortish chapters, easy to consume in bite-sized and digestible chunks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2012 12:27 PM GMT