Profile for Paulus the wood gnome > Reviews

Content by Paulus the woo...

Paulus the wood gnome "Kendo Nagasaki's mate" (Durham UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Glow
Glow
Offered by MEGA Media FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Songs - remember them?, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Glow (Audio CD)
Dance music has been really poor over the last decade. DJ/producers have been so far up their own orifices that they forgot they were meant to be making us happy so that we want to dance - that simple. There have been some really good releases in 2014 and this is one of them. This album is full of good vocals over decent beats. None of the fiddly diddly rubbish that we have been tortured with of late. There are some decent songs on this album - yes songs (remember them) and I hope this is an indication of what more is to come.
Well done Mr. Tensnake and others take note.

HOT HIGH LIGHTS
HOT HIGH LIGHTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness Back In Dance Music. At Last!, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: HOT HIGH LIGHTS (Audio CD)
Have really enjoyed the increased joy factor that has been evident over 2013 and early 2014. This general move towards less formulaic and more fun is a breath of fresh air to this old raver. Dance music should make you smile and this 3 CD collection keeps delivering throughout. Really impressed and keep it up chaps x

Late Night Tales - Bonobo
Late Night Tales - Bonobo

5.0 out of 5 stars Donald and Davy Stott from Shildon. We are redundant!, 4 Dec 2013
First I'd like to make a complaint about the overuse of the word 'sublime' by Amazon reviewers. If you can't think of something to say then don't plump for 'sublime' - RANT OVER!

Now then Bonobo Late Night Tales - I've got a lot of this type of compilation CD and have come to the conclusion that reviews don't mean much. Ultimately your preferred choice of music will dictate whether you like a particular choice by an artist or not. I have bought compilations where reviewers have raved and I have hated. So all I can say is that I really liked the songs chosen and discovered a few new artists that I wasn't aware of. It's a bit jazzy and slightly off kilter, doesn't get bogged down with the turgid, pretentious stuff that most artists think they need to include for credibility's sake.

Thank you Mr Bonobo for this. One of my favourite mix tapes up to now especially The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble song.

FABRICLIVE 69: Fake Blood
FABRICLIVE 69: Fake Blood

2.0 out of 5 stars MORE S*** FROM FABRICLIVE, 14 Aug 2013
Do you djs not realise you're supposed to be entertaining us! If this is your best effort then give up. Listened to the whole album in disbelief. Hoped to find at least one song that inspired some sort of feeling of joy but no, all far too serious. To all you sad djs producing/playing this sort of boys in bedrooms music - stop now we don't like it.

3m RCA (Phono) male to 3.5mm male AUX-IN Lead / Cable for connecting iPods, iPhones, smartphone and mp3 players to Home and Car Stereos

2.0 out of 5 stars Not For Good Quality System, 8 July 2013
Bought these leads to connect my Walkman mp3 player to Arcam Solo Mini. Did not sound at all good, very muddy sound and lacking in treble/mid. Might work in a cheap system but don't expect too much.

Inform Educate Entertain
Inform Educate Entertain

3.0 out of 5 stars Lemon Jelly For Those Young Enough Not To Have Heard Lemon Jelly, 18 Jun 2013
Surely this band are not going to keep churning out 'Dad Music' with annoying samples that become tedious after a few listens. This album goes nowhere and at times almost grinds to a halt. With the technology available nowadays it is very easy to produce this sort of stuff. Not cutting edge, not ground breaking, not inovative and certainly not 'The soundtrack to my summer' puke.

Listen to Lemon Jelly's First album from the year 2000 and, as mentioned by another reviewer, Death In Vegas (a very average band it has to be said) and you will realise how unoriginal this album is. In fact it sounds more dated than said Lemon Jelly album. I hope they don't think they can bring out another 2 or 3 albums of the same stuff because their bubble will burst very soon.

Buy the 'War Room' EP if you like the sound of their music but leave this one alone as it shows up their lack of imagination and the fact that they probably did not expect so much success so soon and did not have enough matereal for a full album. There are 4 or 5 really poor songs on this album. I'm sure some people will be astounded that my review is so scathing but it is just my opinion soz.

The War Room
The War Room

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD SAMPLES OVER OK MUSIC, 30 May 2013
This review is from: The War Room (Audio CD)
Come on you trigger happy 5 star reviewers, calm down! This is not a bad EP and I like the subject matter but the music is a little 'Old Hat'. Reminds me of Lemon Jelly from about 10 years or more ago and I'm sure they are heavily influenced by them. I have also listened to their album and was very disappointed by it. I think they had a good basic idea but have not executed it that well and it becomes a little repetitive. Couple of emotive songs but needs more imagination and song craftsmanship. Sorry everyone xx.

The Trip Created By Saint Etienne
The Trip Created By Saint Etienne

5.0 out of 5 stars One night this was only early, well we saw Sabu on the television and I dreamt that sausages 'n clothes and all beautiful things, 7 Feb 2013
Bought this album when it first came out and still listen to it regularly. Has three songs that I would place in my top 20 songs ever (Julie Covington, Fairport and John & Beverly Martin). It is the best album I own for parties and I always get people asking who and what etc. As with most of the reviewers, I have gone on to buy several albums by artists featured on this compilation. Well done Saint Etienne x.

Exquisite Corpse -Mcd-
Exquisite Corpse -Mcd-

5.0 out of 5 stars Mick McManus' High Wasted Trunks, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Exquisite Corpse -Mcd- (Audio CD)
Music to warm the cockles of your heart. This album gets better and better over time. Too many releases receive 5 stars. Don't know if the bands friends write some of these reviews but rest assured this is not the case here. This is their best release by far and everyone i play it to falls in love with it. Reminds me a little of Sonic Youth Evol - no bad thing. Only wish it was longer - FABULOUS.

Late Night Tales: Trentemøller
Late Night Tales: Trentemøller

4.0 out of 5 stars Trente Percenter, 24 Jan 2012
Really worthwhile buy. Not that keen on Trentemoller's albums but love this compilation. The opening 15 mins. are spine tingling and although the rest of the album is not quite so awe inspiring, it is still very good. The best Late Night Tales i've heard yet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2012 12:08 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2