Profile for D S Rowe > Reviews

Content by D S Rowe

D S Rowe (Surrey, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Waxed shoe laces flat 5mm various choice of colours 75cm long (Purple)
Waxed shoe laces flat 5mm various choice of colours 75cm long (Purple)
Offered by TZ Laces ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the colour illustrated., 19 Aug. 2015
Even allowing for variations in display screens and printers these are not the colour depicted. I am a bit annoyed. Approaching burgundy would be a far better description. That is not the colour I wanted.

[Most Portable Speaker] Anker Ultra Portable Pocket Size Mini Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (12 Hour Playtime, NFC Compatibility, Passive Subwoofer) for Smartphones, Tablets, Laptops, PC and All Bluetooth Devices.
Offered by AnkerDirect

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 7 July 2015
I have bought this to listen to audio books and have not yes tried with music. There is a high pitched digital sound which is clear audible and constant throughout use. I will be returning.

The Greatest Show On Earth
The Greatest Show On Earth

3.0 out of 5 stars It is Ok, 2 Dec. 2013
Fantastic guitar work. If you like Dave Gilmour (and I do), then some of the guitar work is worth a listen. None of the songs are really 'hair standing on the back of the neck' stuff. To say it is their DSOTM as one reviewer has stated, I would not agree with at all. It is nowhere near that level and i think the band is capable of much more than this. I did not think it was as good as their previous album 'All Rights Removed', which had some more catchy and memorable offerings on it.

Good band, with great potential - non of it realised on this album in my opinion.

Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body (The Build Healthy Muscle Series)
by Michael Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, clear and concise, 13 Oct. 2013
I have read a number of fitness books and must say I particularly like this one. As my title states it I found it to be clear and concise. Its a little over 170 pages and I read it in a day which is most unusual for me. I felt that all of the content in the book was relevant and useful and I continue to refer back to it. I was once fit (10 years ago!) and am trying to get back in shape. I would definitely recommend you check out this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2013 8:47 PM BST

Roger Black Air Rowing Machine with HSB® Heartrate Watch & Gym/Shoe Bag
Roger Black Air Rowing Machine with HSB® Heartrate Watch & Gym/Shoe Bag

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 13 Sept. 2013
I bought one of these from Argos today. Spent about 90 mins assembling it, the made a single pull test and an essential part of it snapped. It is now totally unusable.

Returning it tomorrow, which means I now have to completely disassemble it and carry the heavy, awkward box for about 5 minutes from the carpark to the shop - so at least I will get some sort of work out from it. I will not be getting another one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2014 11:23 AM BST

Blender Foundations: The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 2.6
Blender Foundations: The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 2.6
by Roland Hess

5.0 out of 5 stars Personally I thought this was excellent, 16 Jan. 2013
I am actually writing this review due to the fact that I am about to write a less positive review of a different instructional book, and was trying to identify what I was I so dearly disliked about that particular failing example. I quizzed my mind for an example of a good instructional book and this one sprung immediately to mind.

Firstly, this IS instructional. Not merely describing what might be achieved, it clearly describes how you can achieve the results in the book as well as being interesting. It is both well illustrated with clear, relevant and plentiful images, and is well referenced in terms of identifying the correct figures throughout passages.

I think it is important to note (again bearing in mind the unfavorable review I shall shortly pen for another title), that the information provided in this book cannot be obtained by watching a few youtube tutorials. Certainly all of it can if you watch lots and lots and lots of videos, but by then you will have probably forgotten some of the fundamentals. This book clean explains the way blender operates, teaches you how to use it and explains the numerous ways of achieving the same result (e.g keyboard shortcuts versus menus as a very basic example of this). This is a book that condenses down a lot of the useful information available widely into a single useful and accessible source.

I have a number of books on blender and this is by far the best. Would definitely recommend.

Braven 600 Portable Wireless Speaker - Red Aluminium
Braven 600 Portable Wireless Speaker - Red Aluminium

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good - I prefer the Jambox, 11 Nov. 2012
I bought this for my mum who liked my Jambox after seeing the number of positive reviews on here. At the same time as buy this I bought myself the Braven 650. Both are good and the ability to charge your phone is a useful feature. But, I preferred the sound of the Jambox. Just seemed to have more depth - I mainly listen to rock and also audio books.
Also the bluetooth range does not seem as good as the Jambox, further more i feel that the Jambox was louder.

Don't get me wrong this is a quality speaker, but having owned a Jambox for a year I felt the Jawbone offering was a little better.

FL Studio Power!
FL Studio Power!
by PEASE

3.0 out of 5 stars You will learn a lot more by watching youtube videos, 11 Nov. 2012
This review is from: FL Studio Power! (Paperback)
Doesn't really help with how you would go about creating a track. I don't mean composition, I am referring tutorials or worked examples to help the beginner understand the work flow. It has a good bit of detail on what all the functions are i.e. what Edison is and what you would use it for, but it doesn't show you how to use it.

Have hardly touched it since the first few days of owning it, I will be sticking to youtube and plethora of well supported forumsn
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2014 4:57 PM BST

Danzig 4
Danzig 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album with some stand-out songs, 28 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Danzig 4 (MP3 Download)
This won't be a long review, just could not stand to see an album this good with so few reviews.

I finally tracked the album down after seeing Cantspeak on MTV at least 15 years ago and missing the credits of who performed it.

Glenn Danzig's voice on here is truly awesome.

Stand-out tracks for me (in order - best first)

let it be captured
Cantspeak
Brand New God (i love the breakdown section)
Going down to Die
Little Whip

WD TV Live Hub Media Center 1TB
WD TV Live Hub Media Center 1TB

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter, utter rubbish - possibly worse than that, 19 April 2012
I have had one of these now since Christmas and I have found it to be utter rubbish (hence the title).

It displays duplicate tracks even though when I review on the drive and check there is only one copy. This is the case even if I unplug it from the network, so it can only see locally stored content.

It takes AGES to scroll through music. I always end up turning it off and going back to Itunes on my computer because everytime I try to scroll through artist/albums etc I get a circular arrow appear on the screen for what appears to be forever.

It is constantly 'compiling the library'. I think I could actually learn and recount every track on my system quicker than this thing.

My dad has an apple tv and it runs perfectly. WIsh I hadn't wasted my money on this.

To add insult to injury I had to wait about a day and a half to transfer all my music over to find out that when it finally is all stored locally it still takes as long as a ZX spectrum to load and scroll the libaray.

I was very excited the other day as there was a firmware update which I optomistically thought would fix all my problems. Instead, following the "update" it just randomly crashes and then takes about 5 minutes to reboot, at which point my patience is thanked by the the 'compiling the library' message again.

Plus the system sporadically becomes unresponsive to the remote.

Think that is enough. Its rubbish. Avoid and tell you friends and family.

Page: 1 | 2