Profile for R. A. Collins > Reviews

Content by R. A. Collins

R. A. Collins "BeckyBendyLegs" (Oxfordshire)

Quest for a Cave (Dragon Tales Book 1)
Quest for a Cave (Dragon Tales Book 1)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A hit in our house - looking forward to the next one!, 22 July 2014
My two eldest children (age ten and eight) have just read this and they both really loved it (my oldest read it in one sitting!). My eight-year-old boy said 'It will probably be my favourite book' so I suspect we might be getting the next one when it comes out. My ten-year-old boy wrote his own review and asked me to post it on Amazon: 'A great read. I enjoyed every bit of it. I liked it a lot because it was about dragons and they can be interesting sometimes, especially when they breath fire. I would recommend this to children around 5-8 years old as it is quite short but full of interesting story.'

Walkers Creek - A Western
Walkers Creek - A Western
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A tale of hats, horses, guns and dust that I couldn't put down., 30 Aug 2011
I generally do not go for cowboys and Indians (incidentally there were no Indians in this book), always preferring the black-and-white movies about war and romance to those about cowboys and horses when I was a child. However, I am always open to exploring genre I don't normally 'do'. I read this book on the recommendation of my husband who enjoyed it and it did not disappoint. It was simply a great, fun story that I thoroughly enjoyed. I found it to be a very well-crafted, well-thought out story and all the various plots and sub-plots connected well and came together neatly in the end. It was a quick, and very enjoyable read (I actually found that once I started I couldn't put it down and luckily had a nice, long car journey to get into it - I wasn't driving by the way). I found I could easily picture the main male character, Logan, in his brand new white hat and the likes of the strong-willed Emily, the mysterious Mexican girl with the note, the hat/clothes shop guy (forgot his name) and the evil Humby were just as easy to conjure up in my mind. It was a very visual story; the sites, smells, and people I could evoke very well. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a bit of escapism, even to my mum! I haven't commented much about the story itself here - I hope that anyone who reads this will be intrigued enough to go buy the book and find out for themselves what it is all about!

The Group (VMC)
The Group (VMC)
by Mary McCarthy
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book, 4 July 2010
This review is from: The Group (VMC) (Paperback)
I'm quite surprised at the negative comments in the reviews for this book. I haven't even finished it yet but feel compelled to write a review. I am loving this book - it is a real gem. The themes it covers: sex, marriage, relationships, motherhood, breastfeeding, mental health, and friendships are as relevant today as they must have been 80 years ago. I only wish I'd found this book when I was in my early twenties. I have found this book hard to put down and I haven't got to the end yet. It isn't a light read (and I think the references to Sex And The City a little misleading - there are similarities - a bunch of young women coping with life and men in New York) but I am thoroughly enjoying this book and hope to read it again one day.

L of a way 2 Pass
L of a way 2 Pass
by Diane Hall
Price: 9.43

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd had this book fifteen years ago!, 6 Dec 2008
This review is from: L of a way 2 Pass (Paperback)
I was lucky enough to get to read this book before it was published and I just wish I had read it when I was learning to drive fifteen years ago! Even though the book is geared (no pun intended) to learners, as a relatively experienced driver I found much of the advice and techniques in this book very useful. I found myself much more conscious of my driving personality after reading it and took on board advice about how to improve my driving and my attitude to other drivers (I think we are always learning). Diane writes with such passion and her personality shines through the text. The style of the book is authorization yet very approachable. I would recommend this to anyone learning to drive or newly passed, whether they feel 'nervous' or confident in their driving.

Semi-Detached
Semi-Detached
by Katharine Holabird

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book on media portrayal and expectations - it might actually surprise you, 24 Mar 2007
This review is from: Semi-Detached (Paperback)
I confess that I bought this book expecting a light and entertaining read, having been a bit of a fan of that light and entertaining programme Not The Nine O'clock News when I was a child (it was the only programme I was allowed to stay up past my bedtime to watch). This book isn't a light and entertaining read. It is actually quite deep and thoughtful. It took me a while to get into it and it did often read as if it were written by Griff Rhys-Jones for Griff Rhys-Jones but it was written well and in a style reflecting how memory works - sometimes rambling, sometimes jumping around a bit, sometimes vague and sometimes vivid. It contained many poignant moments concerning the author's life (the descriptions of University life particularly struck a cord with me). There are long descriptions about boating holidays, bus journeys, and directing plays, as a previous reviewer has pointed out, but these were interesting to me just because I don't know anything about boating holidays and directing plays having never experienced either of these (although I have been on the odd bus or two). Sometimes it is good to read about something you're not normally interested in - it opens the mind.

A light and entertaining read this isn't, so don't buy this if that is what you are seeking, a thought-provoking and poignant memoir this is.

The Cloudspotter's Guide
The Cloudspotter's Guide
by Gavin Pretor-Pinney

5.0 out of 5 stars I nearly crashed my car thanks to this book!, 1 Oct 2006
Witty, amusing, informative, and a fascinating read, is how I would describe this book. I loved it. I'm not even sure what attracted me to it in the first place; I think perhaps I couldn't imagine that anyone could write a whole book about clouds.

I used to admire the sky but only usually as a passenger on a train or in a car, or while sitting at the park watching my son on the swings and even then only half-heartedly. Now I am transfixed by the movements up there. The sky is truly spectacular. Why didn't I realise this before? Now I need to stop myself from gazing heavenwards while driving my car.

My only criticism of the book would be that the last chapter about the Morning Glory cloud doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the book probably because it was originally a separate article.

I loved the idea of taking a test after reading the book (placed in the middle pages). I didn't do too well though as my Latin spelling is appalling.

About A Boy
About A Boy
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.66

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album of all time, 22 Aug 2005
This review is from: About A Boy (Audio CD)
It was about 18 months ago that I discovered Badly Drawn Boy and I love them. My two-year-old son loves this album and I think it is because I used to play it every day when he was a baby. Perhaps he will grow up with fond memories of Badly Drawn Boy as I did of The Carpenters and Abba! I think Badly Drawn Boy are extremely talented as shown by the diversity of their music in all their albums. I love this album because it is sentimental and so easy on the ear. I love the other albums for different reasons.

Ghost Story
Ghost Story
by Toby Litt
Price: 13.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving to the point of tears, 6 Aug 2005
This review is from: Ghost Story (Hardcover)
I found the author's preface extremely moving, having suffered a recent miscarriage myself; it made me cry to the extent that I had to stop reading it! The book was worth buying just for the preface.
Ghost Story itself was also extremely well written and very poignant. It was a simple story, which felt very real and raw. This book isn't an easy read but the writing is so good and so intelligent that I couldn't put it down.
It's books like that this that make clear the distinction between people who write for a living (of which there are a lot) and good writers.

Finding Myself
Finding Myself
by Toby Litt

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing happens yet a truly original and enjoyable read, 21 Nov 2004
This review is from: Finding Myself (Paperback)
I haven't read any of Toby Litt's other books so I can't compare it to the rest of his work but I was attracted to this book because the concept interested me. I haven't finished it yet but as I am quite upset about the bad reviews it has received here I wanted to give my (early) opinion; I think it is original, witty, and both subtle and obvious on so many levels. It reminds me of The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford. Can you really trust the narrator? How do you form your own opinion about what is going on without being influenced by the narrator's voice? I'm loving this book! If this is very different from Toby Litt's usual style then surely that's the mark of a good writer?

Where Did it All Go Right?: Growing Up Normal in the 70s
Where Did it All Go Right?: Growing Up Normal in the 70s
by Andrew Collins
Price: 9.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Jim'll never did fix it for me either..., 21 Feb 2003
Andrew Collins may have thought he was describing his childhood memories of growing up in the '70s but as far as I was concerned he was describing mine, and I've never even been to Northampton! Why did it take a family of five six hours to drive to Wales from anywhere outside of Wales? Why did you dad think it was such a fantastic idea to set off at 3 o'clock in the morning to beat the holiday traffic? Why was going to town on a Saturday morning with your dad to spend your 50p pocket money on stationary so much fun, at least until the invention of Tiswas and Swap Shop? Who came up with the idea that cross country running was a good idea? Why do I still, every now and then when I'm feeling down, like to sit down to a meal that consists of fish fingers, beans, waffles, an onion ring, grated cheese, and a pasty followed by some angel delight?
I thoroughly enjoyed this book by Andrew Collins and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to remember how it feels to be a kid again. It brought back so many memories that had been buried by the last fifteen years of adulthood. I only wish I'd written it!