Profile for Cal Buck > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Kent Shaving Stand Small Mock Ivory
Kent Shaving Stand Small Mock Ivory

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Stand, 19 Nov. 2015
The Kent VSB5 is a great (and inexpensive) little stand.

I got mine to go with my Kent Infinity Silvertex Shaving Brush (synthetic) shaving brush... after checking with Kent that they were compatible. I have to admit to purchasing both from kentbrushes.com direct as their prices are low and there's no shipping charge in the UK.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Stamford Witch's Curse Incense Cones
Stamford Witch's Curse Incense Cones
Offered by EDExpressWorld

1.0 out of 5 stars Gawd! It certainly lives up to its name., 3 Oct. 2015
Gawd! It certainly lives up to its name.
The first one stunk so bad I thought maybe it was defective. The second one was equally ghastly so I chucked the rest of the pack out.

I do understand that smell is a very subjective thing (my current favourites are Opium and Red Rose).

WHAT THE FIVE STARS MEAN (a reminder for you gentle folks):
1* = I hate it
2* = I don't like it
3* = It's okay
4* = I like it
5* = I love it

Limit Men's Quartz Watch with White Dial Analogue Display and Black PU Strap 5457.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like simplicity and clarity, 18 Jun. 2015
If you like simplicity and clarity, this is definitely a watch to go for.

First I saw the Mondaine (Swiss Railways) watches and thought they were wonderfully clear. Then I went browsing for simple clear watches and found lots of nice stuff. Later, by accident, I stumbled across the Limit 5457 and thought how incredibly clear that looked... and at the price – I ordered it straight away.

When it arrived I certainly wasn't disappointed. Out of my small collection of watches it's the only one I've worn since. I have put other ones on, but taken them off again and put the Limit 5457 back on. Sometimes I miss the day and date but I'm happy to forfeit that for the Limit's brilliant "read at a glance" clarity.

The PU Synthetic Leather strap is fine and comfortable but I swapped it out for a more colourful NATO strap. I find NATO straps extremely comfortable (and BTW no, I'm not German... I just like the colours).

Accuracy on my watch is brilliant (and well within the ± 15 seconds per month = excellent range) at + 4 seconds after 30 days.

As you may have gathered, I'm really pleased with my Limit 5457 and would definitely recommend it.
Comment Comment | Permalink

INFANTRY Mens Quartz Wrist Watch Date Day 24Hrs Lume Silver Sport Black Nylon Strap
Offered by Infantry_Co

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and clear timekeeper, 14 Jun. 2015
For the price, this watch is definitely excellent.

I am a faithful Amazon customer, but must confess to having purchased this baby on eBay. Infantry do one-off offers on eBay, and if you bid at the bottom price (as I did) you have a good chance of winning. I bid £10.99 and won. I paid £10.99 plus £1.99 shipping and was well pleased at my £12.98 purchase. I've just checked eBay and see "infantry-homme" are doing the same offer again but with FREE shipping.

HEY, THIS IS A REVIEW. OK, sorry, I'll get back on track now.

WATCH PROS:
As a standard military style watch it's just great: clear, easy to read, plus day and date.
I find the canvas strap very comfortable (I like the 22mm width) and the watch itself sits comfortably on the wrist.
You can get caught in the rain (or do the washing up!) without worry (3 ATM water resistant). It's not for swimming or showering in (but then you'd probably buy a diver's watch if you wanted that).
Accuracy is well within quartz watch "excellent" standards (± 15"/month). Mine was reading plus 7 seconds after 31 days.

WATCH CONS:
Glow in the dark may be fine if you live in the tropics and spend all day outside. But back here in the UK you'll probably just about see the hour and minute hands glowing.

SUMMARY:
Overall, a steal. I'm really pleased with mine.

Unity 20 cm Radcliffe Radio Controlled 8-inch Wall Clock, White
Unity 20 cm Radcliffe Radio Controlled 8-inch Wall Clock, White

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 11 Jun. 2015
If you like simplicity and clarity, this little baby (at 8" or 203mm Ø) is the one for you.

I received mine today and had it on the wall with the battery installed at 11.30am. I knew that Anthorn Radio Station had a scheduled maintenance between 10am and 2pm today... but I enjoyed watching the hands go round and stop at some arbitrary time. They obviously finished their maintenance early because the clock moved to the correct time at 12.45pm. Being a bit of a detail freak I checked it with the BBC pips at 5pm (on my analog radio), and of course it was spot on.

Just after it set itself I noticed that the second hand was a fraction off. I took it off the wall and simply twisted the "box of tricks" a tiny bit till it lined up perfectly. If you want to do this you'll find there's enough free play to get your second hand spot on — just be gentle (no force required).

I like this clock so much that I'm going to order another as soon as I've finished typing this. The second one is for the kitchen. I already use the clock on the microwave there, but sometimes the light catches it and it's unreadable (it's next to the window). I'm sure you didn't need to know all that, but you probably do know what kids with new toys are like (especially when you've made sure you've got the batteries for them). ;)

Status S4W2MINDS1PK4 2 m 4-Way Switched Extension Socket
Status S4W2MINDS1PK4 2 m 4-Way Switched Extension Socket

4.0 out of 5 stars Great! But can you afford it?, 22 Jan. 2015
This is an excellent piece of kit. Everything works well and smoothly including the neons for each socket.

The reasons I've given it 4 stars (rather than 5) is that the wall mounting holes in the back are too small for large roundhead screws (my preference [not really required], I'm just a geek), and that you can purchase it in Asda for £8 so it's no surprise that you get free delivery for £13.26 (cost shown 22/01/2015).

Mens Denim Jacket (Large)
Mens Denim Jacket (Large)
Offered by Mazeys Mod Clothing

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Classic Jeans Jacket, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Mens Denim Jacket (Apparel)
At last, a "non-modern" jeans jacket which fits perfectly.

(I hate rolling sleeves up, and if you don't do that with the "modern" updates your complete hand is covered... weird [or maybe I'm just old-fashioned].)

I've just chucked my previous (ancient) jeans jacket out. It was about to disintegrate completely.

POCKET WARNING
There are four pockets (as stated in the description), NOT SIX. The linings of the lower front pockets make up what appear to be inside pockets. They can indeed be used as pockets, and are great for things like kindles, wallets, phones, and other reasonably sized stuff. BUT, if you check under the lower front pocket slit you'll find a gap which small things could fall out of (e.g. keys etc).

Faringdon Set Of 2 Green Plastic Orange Peelers
Faringdon Set Of 2 Green Plastic Orange Peelers
Offered by MMP Living

5.0 out of 5 stars Pair of Green Orange Peelers, 28 Jan. 2014
I've just peeled my first orange with this product.

It's extremely easy to use, not at all messy, and does a great job. And it's incredibly inexpensive too.

Two thumbs up for the pair from me. I'm one of those people that never loses things; so I'll probably give the other one away.

Lift & Glow PRO Instant Wrinkle Reducer 0.5oz (RETAILS FOR £89.99!!)
Lift & Glow PRO Instant Wrinkle Reducer 0.5oz (RETAILS FOR £89.99!!)

1.0 out of 5 stars More Information on THIS SCAM to help you, 31 Dec. 2013
Firstly, a huge thank you to everyone who has posted their warnings here!

When I received the packet from the Czech Republic with the two samples and only the small card with telephone numbers on it I felt something was wrong. I immediately Googled "lift and grow pro" and was bombarded by SCAM information which eventually led me here (thank goodness).

(With this information) I phoned the bank straight away to make sure they stopped any future payments (barring the two originals from "BUY LIFT AND GROW" and "ADVANCED FACIAL PR" at £1.99 each). They were very helpful and organised a new card for me -- this to become active and my old one cancelled starting with my first (new card) transaction.

On returning home today I had a telephone message from "my bank" asking me to call "to help them prevent fraud" on 0845 603 1755 (or 0800 056 3874) as soon as possible and the call would only take "a couple of minutes."

I checked my bank's help numbers and none of them matched the above. I rang my bank (on their standard help number) and told them the story. (After the usual lengthy identity check) they confirmed that no one had called, BUT an (unsuccessful) attempt had been made to withdraw £84.71 this morning. They did ask whether I'd received my new card; but unfortunately not yet due to holidays and stuff.

CONCLUSION:
Again, I am highly grateful to everyone who has posted here and of course to my bank who have stopped this possible nightmare in its tracks.

NOTES:
The "package" arrived 10 days after the "trial" payments were withdrawn.
Today (when the £84.71 withdrawal was attempted) was exactly 14 days from my "trial" payments of £1.99 + £1.99.
The scam ad I used was on Facebook but I've also seen the same (well, similar) one on the BT Home Page!
I hope the additional info above helps someone.

3 Dunlop Max Grip Jazz 3 III Variety Pack - 1 Of Each Type In A Handy Tin By Dirty Riffs
Offered by Dirty Riffs Guitar Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for those of us with PAS (pick acquisition syndrome), 16 Oct. 2013
I love the standard red (nylon) Jazz III, and the Nylon Max-Grip series is great (just a bit on the big side for my taste).

So these Max-Grip Jazz IIIs are the just the business. I like all three but the red nylon one is my current favourite; it gives me the same sound as my standard Jazz III but is (obviously) more grippy.

I like experimenting with different picks for feel and sound and these definitely get the thumbs up from me. Many people (including me) are initially put off by the small size of Jazz IIIs, but I find most (YMMV) become completely hooked on them after a few minutes playing.

Being a total convert, I've cut all my skinny nylon picks (0.38mm to 0.60mm) down to Jazz III size. I have an ever increasing pick collection. My current "top of the bill" pick is a Wegen Twin (mini gypsy jazz 27.5mm long, 23.3mm wide, and 3.5mm thick) at a mere £10 (for ONE pick), but BOY is it loud? It's like my dreadnought's on steroids!

Finally a big thank you to Dirty Riffs for the Pick Tin. It's really handy (and as you'll probably imagine, one isn't really enough for me).

Page: 1 | 2