Profile for Mike Valeriani > Reviews

Content by Mike Valeriani

Mike Valeriani (Italy)

EC Technology® iPhone 5 5S Genuine Leather Case Handmade Wallet Book Cover - Brown
Offered by EC Technology UK Store

1.0 out of 5 stars FRAUDULENT COMPANY - STAY WELL CLEAR!!!, 31 Mar 2014
I was contacted twice by EC TECH asking me to modify or remove my honest review, also offering me a gift for my "cooperation". When I refused to lie or to remove this review, THEY CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD AGAIN FOR THE RETURNED ITEM, SAYING THAT THEY DID NOT RECEIVE IT BACK. This is FRAUD and I will persue it legally. It is such a coincidence that I was re-charged the very same day that I refused to withdraw my honest review.

I STRONGLY ADVISE ANYONE TO STAY WELL CLEAR OF THIS FRAUDULENT COMPANY, WHERE THEY WILL CHARGE YOU TWICE IF THEY WON'T LIKE YOUR HONEST FEEDBACK. THIS IS CALLED MAFIA IN CERTAIN PARTS OF THE WORLD!

As soon as I took it out of the box it looked fantastic. A week later it looked like I had it for 10 years, which is not necessarily a bad point, just it should be mentioned that it will have a rough look. I had to return it, because it was all crooked and one of the speakers was 50% covered. The front leather bit was crooked. In essence, it is not made with great precision. The replacement was worst than the first one, so I ended up keeping the original, with which I was not very happy.

They must sort out the little flap that you need to tuck at the back of the phone. This creates a thickness that gets in the way of the flash and it messes up all the pictures, as the flash reflects on it and it sends a huge punch of light into the lens. This case is not compatible with the flash. The flash cannot be used at all when the phone is in this case. If I need to use the flash, I must take the phone out of the case. A long, wide, thin piece of fabric to be tucked at the back of the phone would solve this problem, keeping the phone secure and eliminating that hindering thickness. Needs testing, trials and modifications.

Last problem, very annoying: the leather touching the screen of the iPhone, marks it heavily every single time. The phone looks extremely dirty and messed up all the time. Maybe for the inside, leather is not the correct material; fabric would be more suitable.

Now some good points: first of all it looks nice, it's unique and eye-catching. The cover folds back with no problems, making it very easy to make a phone call or to attach it to a car phone holder. The credit card compartments are very sturdy and it is nice to be able to carry three items. The phone is extremely well protected and there is no chance of scratching it, even if you drop it by mistake. In this sense, it does the job very well. When travelling and using your phone as a camera, you have a very good grip at all times and provided you are reasonably careful, there is no chance of you dropping the phone anywhere.

My conclusion is that it's a nice case, but it needs a lot of work to be perfect. Looking forward for these improvements.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2014 7:18 AM BST

Andrew James Premium Solid Granite Pestle And Mortar With Spout For Easy Pouring - Large 15cm Diameter
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad product, 31 Mar 2014
The product was faulty, just like everything you get at Amazon lately. The spout was crooked and the mortar had been banged a few times, as it was chipped in a few places and these chips had been masked with wax. Basically this was a display item that the shopkeeper decided to get rid of on Amazon. Returned!

Overlanders' Handbook: Worldwide Route & Planning Guide (Car, 4WD, Van, Truck)
Overlanders' Handbook: Worldwide Route & Planning Guide (Car, 4WD, Van, Truck)
by Chris Scott

2.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but as usual, it belongs in the bin., 31 Mar 2014
The book is absolutely fantastic. The information provided is priceless and there is nothing out there that gets even close to this one. 5 stars are not enough to give an accurate idea of what you are getting. The problem is that as with every purchase from Amazon lately, the book is a faulty one... it's all crocked, printed crooked, cut crooked and the binding has been glued crooked. It's not a book that could have even been placed on the shelf of a bookshop. I am tired of returning every item I buy, especially because the replacement is usually just as bad, if not worse. Yes, I have returned it and the replacement was simply less faulty, but far from being a good copy.

Cuore: The Heart of a Boy (UNESCO Collection of Representative Works: European)
Cuore: The Heart of a Boy (UNESCO Collection of Representative Works: European)
by Edmondo De Amici

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap edition, 31 Mar 2014
The text is absolutely great, one of the best books ever written. Very cheap edition though and a bit ugly as well. As with every purchase from Amazon lately, the book is a faulty one... it's all crocked. It's not a book that I would have picked at a bookshop. I am tired of returning every item I buy, especially because the replacement is usually just as bad, if not worse.

Icy Box IB-AC626 Aluminium Protection Case for 3.5 and 2.5 inch HDD
Icy Box IB-AC626 Aluminium Protection Case for 3.5 and 2.5 inch HDD

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap..., 31 Mar 2014
I don't think I've ever see a product as cheap as this! Plastic handle, it makes you wonder if it will hold the full wait, or if it's going to snap. Surely it won't last for long. One of the two locks won't stay locked. Basically I don't think it's worth £31. It feels like it was made in China for less than a pound.

Philips Avance Collection HR1871/00 800 Watt Juicer in Brushed Stainless Steel
Philips Avance Collection HR1871/00 800 Watt Juicer in Brushed Stainless Steel

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money it costs, 3 Jan 2013
This machine looks nice and will make you a juice. What annoys me very much is the incredible lies they put up to sell it.

First of all it will not extract "every drop of juice" from your fruit and veg. The leftover pulp is quite wet and well loaded with liquid. I would say that a good 10% of the usable juice is left in the pulp. Now if you look at carrots, the pulp will be very dry, because it is a dry veg with very little juice, but if you look at what's left of a pineapple, you will be very disappointed. If you squeeze the pulp with your bare hand liquid will come out.

The biggest lie is in the washing up: one minute? In your dreams! It takes more than one minute only to clean the filter, if your intention is to actually clean it. The reality is that this machine is not easy to clean at all, hence the emphasis on the easy cleaning. It is easy if compared to washing a car, but it is definitely difficult compared to pretty much anything else you can find in a kitchen.

There are six unusually shaped pieces to wash (especially the dome) every time and without using soap it takes about 4 minutes. If you wash everything with soap, it will take you anything between 6 and 10 minutes. Not a big deal, but it's so annoying to be deceived so extensively and so openly.

Then if you try to stick everithing in the dishwasher you are in for a big disappointment. Every single piece of the machine must be rinsed very well before putting it in the dishwasher, or it will not come out clean. The fiber of the fruit left all over the machine becomes like glue, even if you start the dishwasher when it's all still fresh, it will not come clean at all; it will be almost exactely as dirty as when you put it in, with the added problem that it will be dry and VERY hard to clean now. Bottom line... you have to wash it properly (4 minutes time) before putting it into the dishwasher... so what's the point?

Judging from other reviews and from the violence with which the machine operates, it doesn't look like this machine is going to last for very long. I've only had it for a month, but by reading all the other reviews, I can see that it will not last anything close to what the price promises. There is a lot of power, a lot of friction and the machine at times "jumps" and shakes quite violently when presented with the end bits of apples or hard bits that do not break off. By the way, sometimes these bits end up in the juice, so the end result is not as smooth as it should be. Furthermore, the juices are full of air and very foamy... even a simple orange juice turns out like that. It can be nice as a novelty, but over time it becomes very annoying, as the juice is simply not as it should be.

If I had to make this purchase again, I would spend the extra money to get a masticating juicer; the quality is just a different planet.

To draw my conclusion, I think this juicer is way overpriced at £160. For what it does, for how it does it and for the durability, it shouldn't cost more than £50. I am very annoyed and I probably wouldn't buy another product from Phillips, simply due to the deception... I just can't trust them anymore... too many lies.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2013 6:17 PM BST

The World's Great Adventure Motorcycle Routes: The Essential Guide to the Greatest Motorcycle Rides in the World
by Robert Wicks

2.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, very porely printed, 10 Dec 2012
This is a fantastic book which has been totally ruined by very pore printing. Most of the pictures look "muddy" and way too dark. This is due to too much black ink used in the printing process. I used to work in the publishing industry and this book looks exactely like the first bad hundreds of copies that come out of the Ofset printing machine, while adjusting the color mixture. I do hope they are not all like this, because it really is a nice book.

To the publisher: if you do happen to have a nice copy, contact me for an exchange and I'll be more than happy to revise my review.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2013 9:29 PM BST

Arte della medaglia in Italia
Arte della medaglia in Italia
by Mario Valeriani
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars First book ever published on this topic., 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: Arte della medaglia in Italia
"Un panorama dell'arte della medaglia in Italia - dal Pisanello ad oggi - non era ancora stato tentato; questo libro di Mario Valeriani e' quindi il primo documento moderno di interpretazione di un'arte che ha, nel nostro Paese, una lunga e nobilissima tradizione"

Metz 76 MZ-5 Digital Flashgun with NiMH Battery
Metz 76 MZ-5 Digital Flashgun with NiMH Battery

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a vacuum cleaner!, 26 Sep 2009
As a professional photographer, I am always looking for the best performance. My fantastic old Metz 60 CT-4 was getting old, so I thought to update. I got this new digital mega flash thinking it would have been better than the previous one, but I was way wrong. I used it on one job and sold it!

First of all the recharging time is longer than the 60 CT-4... I thought that the smaller battery, as a result of technology, would have performed like the one on the old 60 CT-4, but instead it's just a smaller/less powerful battery. On a job I usually rotate the head of the flash all over the place continuously. This new flash has a locked head; to rotate it you have to press a button at the back, which is not that easy and/or comfortable to operate and it simply got me stuck a few times, missing that special shot.

I was in a bright church (which needed that extra bit of kick in bounced light) shooting a wedding when all of a sudden the newly installed cooling fan at the bottom of the head turned on... it is relatively loud and some people turned around to see what it was. To me it sounds like a vacuum cleaner and I simply cannot go around churches with this thing that gets the attention of people... I need to be discreet in my job. This fan stayed on for a long time, causing me some embarrassment...it just wouldn't stop! Also the beep is so loud that gets people turning around - other than really bothering my hearing. There is no way to lower the volume. I had to put it away and use my old flash, which I brought along as backup. During tests prior to the wedding, the fan did not turn on.

When using it in manual it is not as straightforward as the old 60 CT-4; you have to change the f/stop by pressing a few buttons on the control unit... when things are happening fast in front of me I simply cannot waste my time going through these electronic menus that require me to put some extra thought and attention into it... I just want to have a simple dial like on the old 60 CT-4, that I can change without even looking.

In the whole I thing that this is the very worst flash Metz has ever produced. The only positive thing about it is that you can change the power of the small fill flash by operating a small dial on the site. I bought another old 60 CT-4, still king of flashes. Very disappointed!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 12:49 PM GMT