Profile for Tomicek > Reviews

Magimix Polished Stainless Steel Jug Kettle with Charcoal Handle, 1.8L
Offered by K.K. Electronics
Price: 79.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Lots of faults and NO spare parts!, 3 Oct 2012
This is a beautiful kettle and when it works it works well, but sadly is badly designed and is not robust. The kettle leaked after about 9 months and was replaced free of charge under the warranty. The water level indicator had been completely redesigned so I can only assume a design fault in the original. Then the lid broke after 13 months and again was replaced free of charge. Now at 3 years and 1 month the lid has broken again. Now that it's broken I can see it's a really flimsy design. There are just two small clasps which the lid hinges on and one of these had broken. Other than this the kettle was working fine, so trying to save the planet I tried to obtain a replacement lid assembly. I contacted MagiMix UK and was told "I am sorry to hear that you have a problem with your kettle; unfortunately, we are unable to repair the kettles because we don't have the parts." I replied "It seems such a shame to throw away a 75 kettle for the sake of a small broken plastic part - but I think that's what you are telling me." and the response was "Unfortunately that is correct we don't have any parts to repair the kettle it is supplied to us as a whole product. Sorry that I could not help on this occasion.". Not put off I contacted MagiMix in France and the approximate translation from the French reply was. "We are sorry but we do not repair kettles or supply parts. As your camera is no longer under warranty, you can take advantage of an offer to exchange fee (30% off the purchase of a new device)." So don't expect any spares from MagiMix!

I would not buy MagiMix again and I think their slogan 'Built better to last longer' needs rethinking!

Magimix Polished Stainless Steel Jug Kettle with Red Handle, 1.8L
Magimix Polished Stainless Steel Jug Kettle with Red Handle, 1.8L
Offered by K.K. Electronics
Price: 79.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Lots of faults and NO spare parts!, 3 Oct 2012

Magimix Brushed Stainless Steel Jug Kettle with Charcoal Handle, 1.8L (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2013 4:45 PM GMT

Magimix Polished Stainless Steel Jug Kettle with Cream Handle, 1.8L
Magimix Polished Stainless Steel Jug Kettle with Cream Handle, 1.8L
Offered by ShopInn
Price: 98.91

1.0 out of 5 stars Lots of faults and NO spares!, 3 Oct 2012

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2012 12:19 PM BST

Digital Art Studio: Techniques for Combining Inkjet Printing with Traditional Art Materials
by Bonny Lhotka
Price: 18.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly inspiring book for this interesting art technique, 29 Sep 2010
I have a few books on the subject of combining inkjet printing with traditional art materials (there aren't many) most of which are very disappointing. This is a diamond in a sea of sand and stands head and shoulder above the nearest rival.

The book is printed on good paper with decent sized examples of the three authors work. It's very logically laid out starting with the basics and progressing in complexity, without being at all condescending. It covers substrates (printing surfaces) you can buy and then moves on to preparing your own surfaces for your art work. The progression from chapter to chapter is logical and adds another level of (easy to understand) complexity to this interesting and varied art technique. As you can `look inside' the book on Amazon, I won't go into the content of each chapter, suffice to say they are all very interesting. Each chapter has great commentary and instructions with step by step illustrations and a list of materials used. They also have a `Tips' section, a `Creative Explorations' section (ideas of variations and what you can explore next) as well as a `Trouble Shooting' where appropriate.

The level of detail described with each technique is fantastic and never leaves you confused. I have been truly inspired by this book and cannot recommend it enough. A clear five star rating!

Linksys by Cisco WAG160N Wireless-N Modem Router - 300 mbps (for ADSL / telephone line connections i.e BT Broadband)

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this router - read this before buying!, 26 July 2009
I saw this router came top in the Which? review and despite some bad reviews on Amazon I decided to go ahead and buy it. This was a bad move. Initially the router was easy to set up and worked well initially.

About 3 months after purchase it started losing connection to the Internet which was resolved by unplugging and plugging back in the telephone line or re-booting the router. This problem became more and more frequent and then to top it all I had problems connecting wirelessly. Although my desktop PC could connect to the Internet OK the laptops in the house could only 'see' a local connection. Even when I was able to connect wirelessly, the router also started to drop wireless connections regularly. I installed the latest firmware on the Linksys site (V1.00.12) to no avail.

I used the Linksys online agent facility to try and resolve the issue. They told me I needed to carry out a 'full reset' on the router.
1. Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
2. Then, unplug the power keep holding down the reset button for another 30 Seconds.
3. Plug back the power back in, and keep holding down the reset button for 30 Seconds.
4. Release the reset button.

This seemed to work for a while but then the problem came back. I seemed to be able to persuade it to let laptops connect wirelessly with no encryption, but as soon as I introduced encryption it failed.
I used the Linksys online agent facility again. This time they asked me to upgrade the firmware to "the most stable firmware for the router." This turned out to (V1.00.10) which surprisingly was the firmware that the router was delivered with! I aired my surprise and concern but did as I was asked. They told me that if this did not cure the problem that they would send me a new one if it was still under warranty. I said it was as I only bought it in January 2009 - although the conversation was very worrying and went like this:

Dave: Serial Number: SSH00H405937
Model WAG160N-UK
Description WAG160N-UK, Wireless-N ADSL2+ Gateway
Orig. Manufactured: Apr 01 2008
HW Warranty Expiration (est.) Oct 23 2009 [09:50:21 AM]
Ian: I'm really not sure what you are saying - are you suggesting that the warranty starts from the date you manufacture an item rather than the date I buy it? [09:47:11 AM]
Dave: I am afraid Yes. [09:51:38 AM]

I'm sure this would stand up under UK consumer law but disturbing all the same.

Anyway the 'firmware downgrade' still did not cure the issue and I contacted them again.

This time the agent promised me that I would get an e-mail 'tomorrow' telling me how to return the router. No e-mail arrived so I e-mailed them again but I got no reply.

In exasperation and two months after starting this 'quest' eventually I got them to give me a returns code via another agent. But do note: Under the warranty agreement you as a customer have to pay the postage costs to the Netherlands to return the item. You also only get a refurbished router in return.

I haven't received my replacement yet, but I think the experience so far is worth posting a review. Just Google 'WAG160N problem' to see how many people are experiencing issues.

In essence Linksys (Cisco) have got something VERY wrong with this router - and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I will not be buying another Linksys router!

In case you are wondering if I am a bit of a nupmty and don't know one end of a router from another - I am an IT Consultant and have worked in the industry for 25 years.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2014 6:07 PM BST

The Authentic Guide to Russian and Soviet Cameras
The Authentic Guide to Russian and Soviet Cameras
by Jean Loup Princelle

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive work for the Russian camera enthusiast, 3 Jan 2006
I have always had a soft spot for Russian cameras since owning a couple of these basic, but rugged cameras in my youth. Now with Russian cameras available cheaply on eBay and the Internet I decided to consider a small collection of interesting cameras and bought this book. It provides a definitive and painstakingly researched guide to Soviet cameras made in the 20th Century. It is well laid out and has a ten page 'potted' but interesting history of Russia. This sets the scene well and enables the reader to understand some of the reasons behind the Russian camera development and production as well as an insight into the psyche of the Russian poeople. The book also has brief histories of photography in Russia in both the 19th and 20th Centuries. The book has well laid out in sections covering each of the production factories. It also has sections on subminiature, military and special cameras; amateur movie cameras; light meters, projectors, enlargers and accessories. In each of the main sections there are photos of most of the cameras, lenses and other items with excellent technical and manufacturing details. This is a definitive catalogue of cameras and lenses but understandably no current prices are shown. There are some small gramatical errors and very small sections untranslated from French, but the book reads very well and is full of interesting anecdotes. If you are looking for as good a guide as you can get on Russian cameras.... this is it!

First Steps in Winemaking
First Steps in Winemaking
by C. J. J. Berry
Price: 5.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive - If you choose one book - this is it!, 16 Mar 2005
C J J Berry was a master on winemaking. I have bought and read most books on winemaking. This is the one I always turn back to. If you have to buy one book on homewinemaking this is the one! He begins my explaining the concepts and techniques of winemaking in easy to understand terms. He also explains the science behind the process but he is never confusing or condescending. I have never come across a problems which has not been solved by his troubleshooting section and his procedures are comprehensive but easy to follow. The remainder of the book takes you through a wine making year with suggestions, recipies and leaves you confident enough to experiment successfully. All recipes are in metric, imperial and US measures. He leaves you feeling that country wines from fruit are nothing to be ashamed of and that you should not worry about trying to emulate wines you can buy. Having said that, many of the wines stand comparison to anything you can buy. First published in 1960 it has not dated and will remain a reference for all authors to aspire to. It is an invaluable reference for both beginners and those more advanced wine makers.