Profile for Mr. R. J. Wordsworth > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. J. Word...

Mr. R. J. Wordsworth

Like, totally... Dylan Moran Live [DVD] [2006]
Like, totally... Dylan Moran Live [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Dylan Moran
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Mar. 2007
I saw this show live at the Apollo (and my friend rather upsettingly made it onto the DVD, whereas I didn't) and I thought it was great. I thought Monster was better, but not dramatically so, and certainly not enough to merit the scathing reviews here.

I don't think he seems tired or bored with the material (and there is no noticible repitition in the material from Monster). I think he's just settled in the role he plays on stage.

Given a choice of one or the other, Monster trumps this DVD, but only just :)

Martin Lawrence Live: Runteldat [DVD]
Martin Lawrence Live: Runteldat [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Lawrence
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing, 6 Mar. 2007
I am a huge fan of stand up comedians, and every time I do an amazon order for comedians I know I always try to order someone that I haven't seen any of before. I was looking forward to this as I enjoyed the Bad Boys films, and black comedians like Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy and Bernie Mac were the first comedians to get me into stand up.

This DVD isn't funny. The crowd laugh and clap, but this DVD is entirely crude humour and statements that appeal to American pride. So what he gets a clap for standing on stage and saying America is the greatest country in the world? It's not comedy, and it doesn't appeal to anyone who isn't American (or any of the americans that I've talked to about it).

And how much does have to drag these jokes out? The childbirth sketch; it goes on and on and on, and is basically Martin Lawrence looking ill. For ages. There are no jokes in this whole routine, and, predictably, it descends into crudeness and swearness.

If you want black american comedy, go with Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy, Dave Chapelle... But avoid this DVD. It's not funny, and the arrogance with which it is delivered has no bearing its quality.