Profile for G. Ritchie > Reviews

G. Ritchie (N. Ireland)

Killing Time: Archaeology and the First World War
Killing Time: Archaeology and the First World War

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and enjoyable, 29 July 2014
This was an excellent book, full of information and very readable. Unfortunately, I had the kindle book so there were no illustrations and most annoyingly - no access to the reference section at the end!

Sites of Memory, Sites of Mourning: The Great War in European Cultural History (Canto)
by Jay Winter

5.0 out of 5 stars Sites of memory, 18 Mar. 2010
As an artist with an interest in memory and memorial , this book is like a manual which I refer to and read often. Its contents have sent me off on new investigative directions, and even the bibliography is a source of information for my own artistic reasearch. It covers more than visual art, including literature and film. It manages to be both scholarly and moving, particularly where repatriation of the dead is discussed. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the impact of the Great War on art and society. It's a sobering, interesting and provocative read.

The Missing of the Somme
The Missing of the Somme
by Geoff Dyer

5.0 out of 5 stars The Missing of the Somme, 18 Mar. 2010
Part travel book, part meditation on the nature of war, of all the book about the Great War I have read, this would be my favourite. Insightful and personal, it echoed some of my own thoughts and experiences of travelling in Picardie, tracing my great granfathers footsteps. It's not comparable to survivors accounts, or historical overviews, some passges verge on poetry and are incredibly moving - especially where the author talks about timelines and fading photographs of marching soldiers. Should one love a book about war? I loved this.

Stanley Spencer - Journey to Burghclere
Stanley Spencer - Journey to Burghclere
by Paul Gough

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey to Burghclere, 18 Mar. 2010
I haven't been to Burghclere yet, but when I do go, this book will be with me. This is an insightful book, both in terms of Spencer's early development as an artist and his experiences as a medical orderly. It is an engaging read, well illustrated and Spencer's paintings are particularly well described - aided by the fact that the author himself is a painter. There is an empathy with the subject and a considered approach to the historical context in which Spencer worked. As someone more familiar with the history of the Western Front, I found the descriptions of Spencer's time in Macedonia particularly interesting. The book charts Spencer's development as an artist and the changing nature of conflict as the war progressed. Before reading this book, I knew a little of Spencer and his work. Now I feel I have had an insight into a unique artistic mind, aided by the level of intimate detail which the book offers. Stylistically, it's also a good read!