Profile for Bass-man > Reviews

Content by Bass-man

Bass-man

Bach, J.S.: The Organ Works (DG Collectors Edition)
Bach, J.S.: The Organ Works (DG Collectors Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars A recording to live with, 8 Oct 2013
I bought Peter Hurford's complete organ works of Bach a while back mainly on the basis of its Penguin Guide rosette status. My father was a church organist who idolised J.S. Bach and I wanted a recording to remember him by. I have to say that whilst I have the uptmost respect for Hurford (his recording of Franck's three chorales on Decca are unsurpassed in my opinion) I was dissapointed with his choice of registration on some of Bach's major works. It seemed to me that in the quest for textural clarity he had sacrificed the feeling of grandeur and majesty (e.g. BWV 545 and BWV 547). I was attracted to Simon Preston's version having listened to sound clips (and seen the price on Amazon!). As soon as I listened to the first pieces I felt that everything sounded "right" - the sound world was a bit like Helmut Walcha with more life and clarity. Preston's recording is for me the perfect Bach organ sound and interpretation, and like other reviewers I think that the recording quality from DG is exemplary. Highly recommended.

Gilbert & Sullivan: Iolanthe
Gilbert & Sullivan: Iolanthe

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recording, 26 May 2013
Iolanthe has always been my favourite G and S work ever since a schooldays production. I used to own the Sargent version on vinyl disc and was quite happy with that performance. I had a desire to listen to Iolanthe again, and after scanning reviews decided to go for this version by the "new" D'Oyly Carte company. Like one of the other reviewers, this recording exceeded my expectations. I was aware that this was a digital recording but was nevertheless surprised by the sheer quality of the sound. From the overture onwards the orchestra play crisply and with great clarity. The soloists and chorus also perform faultlessly, and are very realistically captured by the recording. Whilst people will always have their favourites in terms of individual soloists etc. I am more than happy to make this my new definitive recording of this work.

J.S. Bach: Motets bwv 226-230 (Vocalconsort Berlin)
J.S. Bach: Motets bwv 226-230 (Vocalconsort Berlin)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime!, 26 April 2013
I don't wish to go into technical details about the musical content of Bach's glorious motets, partly because I don't really feel qualified to do so. I selected this particular recording from a very competitive field (including Renee Jacobs on the same Harmonia Mundi label). Having listened to this CD several times I am convinced that it the most beautifully sung and recorded disc of choral music I own bar none. I think that Marcus Creed and the Vocalconsort Berlin have produced something really special here and would unreservedly recommend this disc.

Moeran - Complete Piano Works
Moeran - Complete Piano Works

5.0 out of 5 stars Rare delight, 16 Sep 2012
I purchase and listen to many CDs but this is the first time I have felt the urge to submit a review. This particular item totally hits the spot on three counts. Firstly full marks to J. Martin Stafford for initiating the recording venture and producing a quality product. Secondly, the perfect choice of Eric Parkin as performer - in my opinion no-one plays English piano music with such sensitivity and understanding. Lastly, the wonderful content of the programme. I felt an immediate connection with Moeran's piano pieces the first time I heard them. They exhibit the subtle influence of impressionism in the harmony, whilst at the same time embodying the best of the British folk song idiom. I frequently marvel at how much clever and attractive music is out there which never gets mainstream promotion. I would recommend this disc unreservedly.