Profile for Tina > Reviews

Foyle's War - Series 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Kitchen
Price: 15.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Foyle's War - Series 7, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Foyle's War - Series 7 [DVD] (DVD)
Top whole! Having gone through the first six series I was disappointed when viewing came to an end. It is wonderful that this series is continuing and hopefully we can look forward to series 8, 9, etc. The acting and characterisation and every aspect of it are superb. Foyle's War gets my vote every time.

Wish Me Luck - Complete [DVD]
Wish Me Luck - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julian Glover
Price: 15.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish Me Luck: Complete series, 12 July 2013
The first two to three episodes were so-so. I couldn't seem to find very much enthusiasm in watching the characters unfold. As the tale developed it did become more interesting and I followed through to the end. The acting was very good and the characters believeable. I'm glad I persevered but it is not one I would want to see again.

Secret Army - The Complete BBC Series 3 [DVD]
Secret Army - The Complete BBC Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bernard Hepton
Price: 23.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret Army - Series 3, 12 July 2013
I'm glad I purchased the final series. Excellent and compelling viewing, very "moreish". The characters maintain their believeability right to the end.

Dracula (Christopher Lee Reads...)
Dracula (Christopher Lee Reads...)
by Bram Stoker
Price: 11.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Dracula read by Christopher Lee, 12 July 2013
Christopher Lee was the draw card here and his speaking voice is lovely to listen to. But there is a "but". Having read Dracula so many times I practically know it off by heart. Well, I could be exaggerating here but I do know enough to be able to pick out where the book has been shortened and that is what I find disappointing. I suppose one can't expect Mr Lee to read it all but I wish he had. Never mind, it is still worth while listening to.

The Navy Lark: Series 1, Pt. 1 (Golden Age of BBC Radio Comedy)
The Navy Lark: Series 1, Pt. 1 (Golden Age of BBC Radio Comedy)
by Lawrie Wyman

5.0 out of 5 stars The Navy Lark: Series 1, Part 1, 12 July 2013
I used to listen to the Navy Lark on the radio when I was much younger and enjoyed it thoroughly. I was most disappointed when the series was over and for years I was "larkless". What excitement when I discovered Amazon had one of my favourites. I went mad and ordered all that I could afford. I did think that may be after so many years and having matured somewhat that The Navy Lark could possibly be less than, so to speak. It is not. The madcap antics of Petty Officer Pertwee, the silly ass Sub-Lieutenant Phillips, our First Officer Murray, and the like are just as fresh as the days I remember. I can and would heartily recommend The Navy Lark to anyone and everyone. And if you're a pessimist or just sunk in gloom, do give it a go. It will lift your spirits no end. Carry on navy larking everyone!

The Navy Lark: Collected Series 8
The Navy Lark: Collected Series 8
by Lawrie Wyman
Price: 29.18

5.0 out of 5 stars The Navy Lark, 18 May 2013
As usual, delightful comedy from all at Portsmouth. I play these recordings over and over again and never tire. All I can say is bring more on please. For anyone who delights in a giggle.

Garrow's Law Series One to Three [DVD]
Garrow's Law Series One to Three [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrew Buchan
Price: 25.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Garrow's Law, 18 May 2013
Top whole! For the first minute or so, I wasn't sure but after that I was hooked. I finished watching the series within three days and wished for more. Everything: the acting, costumes, sets, atmosphere, everything was superb. What makes it even more so is the fact that it is based on real characters and real cases of the Old Bailey. Accolades galore. This is an absolute must see.

Odd Man Out - The Complete Series [DVD]
Odd Man Out - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Inman
Price: 5.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Odd Man Out, 18 May 2013
I really enjoyed John Inman in "Are You Being Served". But this . . . I was bored. I found the acting very contrived. It was mildly amusing in parts but other than that . . . well, there's nothing else to say.

Bournonville: La Sylphide [Flemming Flindt, Lucette Aldous, Shirley Dixon, Rudolf Nureyev, Merie Park] [ICA: ICAD 5099] [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Flemming Flindt
Price: 15.56

5.0 out of 5 stars La Sylphide, 18 May 2013
I am a pushover for ballet and this is no exception. There is something about seeing ballets in black and white. They have a charm all their own.

Friendly Persuasion [DVD] [1956] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Friendly Persuasion [DVD] [1956] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Gary Cooper
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 4.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Friendly Persuasion, 18 May 2013
I think I was a teenager when first seeing this film and I fell in love with it. I had been trying to find it for years and blow me down when finding it on Amazon. It couldn't get here quick enough. Seeing it through the eyes of my adulthood I was a little disappointed in the film but only because I had built it up to such an extent in my mind. The feeling quickly passed though as the story unfolded and the charm and humour of this tale soon had me squirming with pleasure. It is a delightful, feel good, family entertainment and I heartily recommend it to anyone. In this era of political correctness it cannot surely offend anyone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4