Profile for Leojon > Reviews

The History Boys [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Richard Griffiths
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking, funny - excellent acting, 18 Aug. 2013
My 15 year-old daughter is obsessed with this film and now with all things Alan Bennett - she is otherwise a very normal teenager! I have therefore watched it countless times and can recite the dialogue off pat. Not sure this makes me the best person to write a balanced review. I am heartened by the number of people who have.

Some seem to have forgotten how much humour is in the play - and the fact that it IS, first and foremost, a play. People who maybe didn't realise this when they bought it are bound to be at least puzzled, if not disappointed. I wish, wish, wish I had seen it on stage with this cast. There is nothing like live theatre - and the film is of course nothing like live theatre: but that doesn't mean it isn't a good film.

I love it, the clever script, the singing, the talent of all the actors, the humour and pathos. I fear it will be blacklisted now, after the Jimmy Savile scandal and Operation Yewtree. And I have to admit, I wouldn't be at all happy with a teacher behaving this way with my 17 year-old son, and I don't know how to reconcile that - the way the boys are able to deal with it so phlegmatically is interesting and worthy of debate. In spite of this concern, I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish (and no doubt will again - and again), but can understand it won't appeal to all tastes.

Whatever!: A down-to-earth guide to parenting teenagers
Whatever!: A down-to-earth guide to parenting teenagers
by Gill Hines

5.0 out of 5 stars Whatever else you do, dip into this book!, 18 Aug. 2013
As a parent of a teenage boy and a nearly teen girl, I attended a parenting workshop series a couple of years ago run by Gill Hines, after a recommendation by a parent friend I admire. Gill's way of managing a diverse group of parents with problems ranging from virtually none (ones trying to pre-empt problems) to the indescribably awful (self-harm, violence) was impressive and I felt I learned a lot of practical techniques as well as having the reassurance that I was not alone in my anxiety.

I purchased the book shortly afterwards and referred to it often. I have just been re-reading it , and again realised how full of sound help and advice it is. You can either read it from front to back or dip into the sections that are applicable to your concerns at the time. Looking back, now that my son is 17 and my daughter 14, I can see that my efforts to put into practice many of the suggestions, particularly about how you speak/communicate with your child/children, when my natural instinct might have been to shout and nag, have really paid off (have to confess have not always been successful!).

Of course, just buying or reading the book doesn't make you the perfect parent nor will you escape times of great worry about your teenagers, but I have found it an excellent practical resource, and makes me question my own motives and habits. Humour and common-sense abound, but not to the extent that problems are trivialised. I like the sections, so it is not overwhelming and the lists are really helpful. The examples and quotations from other parents and teenagers are pertinent and stick in the mind, and I have found myself remembering them in times of doubt. Would definitely recommend it as a voice of sanity during what can be a turbulent time for everyone concerned.

Philips HD4644/00 Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt, 1.7 Litre - White
Philips HD4644/00 Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt, 1.7 Litre - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Damn Near Perfect Plastic Kettle, 10 Aug. 2011
If you want a practical and econimical platic kettle, this is the one. Quiet and quick, no taint (after boiling and rinsing three times). Excellent feature is the one cup measure - more than enough for one large mug, so very economical. Scale clear and visible from both sides, on-off switch square and firm. Sits solidly on base, swivels freely. Seems small but holds 1.7 litres. Not the bonniest of items, a bit fat and stolid but for a plastic kettle damn near perfect!

Sibling Rivalry, Sibling Love: What Every Brother and Sister Needs their Parents to Know
by Jan Parker and Jan Stimpson

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn about yourself as well as your children!, 11 Nov. 2005
Definitely a very worthwhile book for anyone with more than one child, even if they appear to get on. The book is written by recounting workshops with affected parents, plus helpful cartoon illustrations, which makes for very easy reading. The stories they tell of their own childhoods really make you think and effectively illustrate how parents can unwittingly exacerbate divides between their children. Some found they were able to understand and mend life-long problems with their own adult siblings as a result. The dangers of favouritism, making comparisons and the huge benefits of loving each child 'uniquely' (for themselves) rather than 'the same' are very clear. Highly recommended.

Thinks
Thinks
by David Lodge

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to read more from this author, 5 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Thinks (Paperback)
An excellent read. David Lodge effortlessly interweaves a whole range of human emotions with scientific and academic discussion in a way that entertains and delights. Quick and witty, yet warm and gripping - you care about the characters. Cleverly constructed and easy to read - very satisfying all round. I had to exercise a lot of will-power not to gobble it up in one sitting. Would imagine it would appeal equally to men and women - highly recommended!