Profile for Hamsun Lad > Reviews

Content by Hamsun Lad

Hamsun Lad "goetheman" (Glasgow,scotland ,uk)

Page: 1 | 2
The Week Magazine UK
The Week Magazine UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring textfest., 23 Feb 2014
Having previously subscribed to TIME magazine both in print and now on ipad I thought I'd give this ago. TIME magazine it ain't! Given that magazines like TIME and Newsweek are it's main rivals I cannot see how any one could favourably compare it to either of these publications.I get the fact that it is more concise and deals with " the main facts" etc but surely more thought should have gone into the layout. It's simply pages of boring text which I personally find unappealing. I have no criticism of the stories covered etc but the general look and layout is just not for me.

Life: Keith Richards
Life: Keith Richards

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read but a bit too much padding., 15 Aug 2013
Read this on holiday in about 5 days and have to say over the piece that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The early career of the Stones is covered in great detail with some facts I had never read before. Keef's disastrous relationship history and his issues with drugs are graphically covered. All Stones fans will love it but my only gripe and the reason for giving only 4 stars is that too much unnecessary stuff was in for no reason and with absolutely no connection to the subject matter of the book at all. It would take a while to list examples so just buy the book and find out off yourself as it doesn't detract too much from your enjoyment. Definitely recommended.

David Copperfield (Repackaged) [DVD] [1999]
David Copperfield (Repackaged) [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Bob Hoskins
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar cast and magnificent performances., 22 Jun 2013
As normal a superb adaptation from the BBC. Having just finished the KIndle version of the book I found this to be a faithfully rendered telling of the story. Brilliant work from such as Maggie Smith and Bob Hoskins in particular. But in truth all the performances were excellent and as for young Radcliffe and what he went on to do.Who knew? A word to the wise though.Check out the various Dickens web pages and find this and umpteen Dickens DVD's for free.Sadly pour moi I only discovered this post purchase.

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute page turner., 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
Having read all the hype but never having heard of the author I took a chance on this Kindle purchase. I usually hate sci fi type stories which I thought this would be but was very pleasantly surprised.Terrifically well written the story just cracks along. Well drawn characters that you start to care about and invest in usually signifies good writing. You get both in this case. I smiled every time I opened the book and re-entered Hunger Games world as I enjoyed it so much.Practically "Folletesque" in it's ability to draw you in and keep you there I recommend anyone who enjoys a good thriller to give it a try. My only small gripe is that the story is not exactly original in that I was reminded greatly of "the running man" film.It's like "Big Brother" to the death but highly recommended in my opinion.

A Christmas Carol (Classic Edition With Original Illustrations)
A Christmas Carol (Classic Edition With Original Illustrations)

4.0 out of 5 stars kindle edition review, 9 Jan 2013
Pretty decent on the Kindle but as I have an oldish Kindle ie not colour the illustrations are not done full justice. Also a tad annoying is the lack of a navigable table of contents which is my reason for knocking one star off. Still well worth buying though for the genius that is Charlie Dickens.

A Christmas Carol
A Christmas Carol

5.0 out of 5 stars A reminder of the true meaning of Christmas., 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Kindle Edition)
Having been an avid reader all my life (mainly of american authors) I somehow never got round to Dickens until later in life. I cannot properly convey what i've missed. A Christmas Carol is my third Dickens classic and each has stunned me with the quality and dare I say "modernity" of the writing. He was the undisputed greatest English language writer of all time in my humble opinion. This offering does not disappoint. This short and simple tale actually makes you a better person if such a thing is possible because it causes you to reflect on your own nature and personality and how others may see you. The qualities of tolerance and good grace are shown to be of greater import than our modern habit of chasing more
material things. Our interactions with others are what make us as people and this is one of the main facets of this Christmas story. Far superior in the text version than any of the numerous film or television adaptations in my view. A great place to begin for those thinking of reading the great man. PS. This review is for kindle premium edition. Much better than free version
which has no table of content and at 77 pence is a great buy.

Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]

2.0 out of 5 stars Like dictionaries? You wont like this., 27 Oct 2012
My Kindle 3 is a device I love so I expected this to be as good or better given the hype surrounding it. If you want to read books then get one but if you're a linguist like myself and need foreign language dictionaries on your Kindle then this will disappoint as it only supports the American Oxford dictionary. Unbelievably annoying so back it goes. Feels like in their desperation to compete with Apple (which is a forlorn hope really) Amazon have rushed this to market in an unfinished state. Better to consider the Ipad mini which whilst more expensive will do everything Kindle does and much more.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2012 9:11 PM GMT

The Crimson Petal And The White
The Crimson Petal And The White
by Michel Faber

3.0 out of 5 stars Great premise........ totally squandered., 12 Oct 2012
Having read all the wonderful reviews given to this book I expected much more. I feel as if I read a totally different novel. The premise was brilliant but the execution was sadly lacking.It felt as though the author ran out of ideas at various stages which was very clear to me so why on earth have these other reviewers failed to spot this? The story was captivating and engrossing for a couple of hundred pages but overall the plot was extremely thin and indeed the book wouldn't have suffered had it been 300 pages shorter. Faber loves to write and doesn't seem to care if he's adding nothing to his story. I felt there was far too much unneccessary characterisation but nowhere near enough plot. It was obvious to me as a reader where the plot should have gone but Mr Faber inexplicably went either nowhere or in a completely different direction. An example was the role of William's two dandy whoring partners Bodley and Ashwell. This pair should have been pivotal in the tale but about 600 pages in the author simply tells us "we wont hear from then again". Similarly with Henry Rackham (Williams brother)who was a well drawn character simply killed off for no plausible reason. I also found the conspiratorial guide leading us through the story more annoying as the tale unfolded. All in all this was a great idea totally squandered. As for comparisons with Dickens only the setting was Dickensian because this came nowhere near the great man's work. Too many dead ends and unrealised threads spoiled the experience for me.

Queen Lucia - Miss Mapp.
Queen Lucia - Miss Mapp.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but proper chapter titles would help. (kindle edition), 9 April 2012
Ok so you get the books and at a good price but the practice on Kindle edition of titling each chapter using part of the first sentence of the chapter is a bit annoying (and lazy). Otherwise perfectly fine for the money.

Barca: The Making of the Greatest Team in the World
Barca: The Making of the Greatest Team in the World
by Graham Hunter

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but enough with the hero worship! (kindle edition), 9 April 2012
As others have said this is essential football reading and brilliantly written. The Cruyff and therefore Ajax influence on modern Barca is explained in depth as is the politics behind the difficult rebirth of this great club. Player profiles are very good and one is in no doubt that Iniesta, Messi, Xavi and a few others may have been lost to the game had it not been for Barca's emphasis on technique over physical stature. How these little guys must thank their lucky stars they were not born in Britain! One thing annoyed me slightly though which was the often cloying, awe inspired flights of fancy Hunter goes into in some of his description of many of the players. We Scots don't do cloying Graham. I think you,ve been around these guys a bit too long. However that's a minor grumble about what is a tremendously well researched and written piece of work. I recommend it highly.

Page: 1 | 2