Profile for Ray Algar > Reviews

Content by Ray Algar

Ray Algar "Oxygen Consulting" (UK)

The Long Tail: How Endless Choice is Creating Unlimited Demand
The Long Tail: How Endless Choice is Creating Unlimited Demand
by Chris Anderson

4.0 out of 5 stars A fundamentally new type of business model, 20 Dec 2006
Summary: Introduces the proposition that `mass popular' and `hits' do not dominate the internet. Thought-provoking, but a little repetitive.

The Long Tail describes how the on-set of seemingly endless produce choice available on-line characterises a long-tailed distribution plotted on a graph (hence the book title). The biggest insight the book offered me is the shift we are generally seeing from the stocking of `mass popular by off-line retailers to the notion of `specialist and niche', on-line. The core proposition is that `bricks and mortar' retailers have physical inventory limitations, whereas there is almost unlimited capacity on-line.

Anderson is the Editor of Wired magazine and the book actually begun as an article by Anderson in Wired. I laboured through the second half of the book once I understood his key idea. I also felt he focused to narrowly on explaining the phenomenon to the music, DVD and book industries. Perhaps, read the Wired article first and then turn to the book if you need more.

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
by Steven D. Levitt

4.0 out of 5 stars Think Differently, 29 Oct 2006
Summary:Thought-provoking, Memorable

Reviewer: Brighton, England

Based in the UK, I was not aware of the growing reputation of Levitt, so simply bought the book on merit. I found it captivating and controversial in places - arguing a causal link between legalised abortion in the US and falling murder rates. It is the data underpinning his claims that give the book real rigour. Most of us would believe that Estate Agents achieve a price closer to the asking price when selling their own homes compared to their clients. Levitt provides the data to prove it.

The book is actually a double-act. Levitt provides the economic insight and Dubner translates into compelling words - it's an excellent combination.

I always think the test of a very good book, is do I want to read more from the author. I can't wait for the sequel.