Profile for Peter Spence > Reviews

Peter Spence (London)

Centre Pin Reel Shadowlander Lureflash
Centre Pin Reel Shadowlander Lureflash

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish quality, 30 Mar 2013
This is the worst reel I have ever bought bar none, if you showed this to a carp or barbel, it would laugh and the reel would self-destruct. If money is an issue, save up for a 'Cortesi' pin or similar, this really is pond-life.

Let's Dance
Let's Dance
Price: 7.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Nails dragged across a blackboard, 17 Mar 2011
This review is from: Let's Dance (Audio CD)
My vinyl copy of this recording went missing years ago but I always missed not hearing the great music on this album so I bought this digital re-master for little money. What a huge disappointment, it is almost unlistenable, as is often the case with re-masters loads of scratchy hi-end has been added and all the warmth has been sucked out of the original. I don't know why they bothered, it sounds horrible, I'm glad I paid little for it, if you can get the original CD or better still listen on vinyl, this is one of the worst listening experiences I have ever had.

Oil Painting with 'Calcite Sun Oil': Safety and Permanence Without Hazardous Solvents, Resins, Varnishes and Driers
by Louis R. Velasquez

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent well researched book, 22 Feb 2010
For those wishing to paint without solvents the book offers an easy to follow, logical, well researched method. I've had excellent results using this method, when I first found the calcite sunoil webpages something there 'resonated' with me. I highly recommend this book. Don't be put off by dry, witless academics moaning about a lack of research, that is a view that is hatched in the ivory towers of academia and should stay there. This book is born from great experience and a love of painting and fine art, it is a great testament to the hard work and ingenuity of the author.

Elementary Harmony
Elementary Harmony
by C. H. Kitson
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars For the serious student, 24 Jan 2010
This review is from: Elementary Harmony (Paperback)
Perhaps a little formal for current tastes but with the help of a great military bandmaster I acquired a solid understanding of S.A.T.B. and since then I've expanded on that with more modern tutors. One major plus of this book is its use of exercises with many great examples of how and how not to do it. The importance of aural training is emphasised and a piano or modern electronic keyboard is needed to get the best from this book.
It's a dry, academic tome which covers beginners exercises, laying out the rules for simple 'correct' part writing, including passing notes, auxiliary notes, dominant sevenths and ninths, modulation and a whole lot more, it then proceeds to chromatic chords, added sixths, Neapolitan sixths etc.
It's not a 'cover all' modern harmonic treatise but it is a thorough grounding in part writing in a traditional style. Any budding composer will definitely benefit from this book.

French short stories: Nouvelles Francaises (New Penguin Parallel Text Series): Short Stories in French
by Richard Coward
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Weird English!, 31 Oct 2009
I'll admit to being a relative beginner to the French language, however I live in France now and I find that this book is not for the beginner. I speak fairly well but as I'm a little behind in vocabulary a well meaning friend bought this for me. I've struggled on with it but it is a joyless task, it is like trailing through literary mud. I'm above degree level in English, therefore it's annoying that even the English translations often make no sense, I get far more from the French text by using my own translation 'skills' and a dictionary. I can't read another word of this nonsense, there is something amiss with this book, look around before you buy.