Profile for E. Curshen > Reviews

Content by E. Curshen

E. Curshen "ehcbooks" (Bristol, UK)

Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
by Yotam Ottolenghi

5.0 out of 5 stars My most often used cookbook by far, 19 Oct 2008
This is a truly fantastic book. Beautifully presented and a joy to read. If I were to work out a cost per use, it would equate to about 0.12p!

The Otto guys just cook the sort of food I love - they describe some 'star' ingredients such as garlic, lemon, fresh herbs, yoghurt, sumac and pomegranate as their basic building blocks - and their style of fresh, delicious, Med/Middle Eastern food is brilliant, accessible and inspiring.

If you have visited one of their London shops, you will know about their impressive window displays; towers of meringues, piles of gooey brownies and bountiful platters of cupcakes and muffins. Their savoury offerings - (including lots of enormous, beautiful salads) are just as awe-inspiring. This book will not only show you how to mimic these amazing dishes, but more usefully will teach you how to understand and use some more unusual ingredients like za'atar and pomegranate molasses. I have found that the techniques I have learnt from the book have infiltrated so much of my cooking, that the value of the book goes well beyond the recipes printed in it.

You'll soon be shopping for ingredients you previously didn't know about but are now staples in your cupboard!

By far my most often used cookbook.