Profile for Rock Papa > Reviews

Content by Rock Papa

Rock Papa (Guildford, Surrey)

Back To The Start
Back To The Start

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Follow Up 25 Years On, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Back To The Start (Audio CD)
Having seen Airrace live at The Cambridge Rock Festival a few years ago, I was amazed at how good they were.

Several other gigs later, usually supporting other AOR bands, they proved what a fantastic live band they are, with a great first album. The good news is they also proved they weren't a one hit wonder, with this great follow up album, made up of songs originally recorded over 20 years ago for the second album they never recorded, and new songs written by Mansfield and Morrell.

For anyone who loves great AOR music, pick up their legendary first album Shaft of Light, and then buy this as well. It's a great follow up, and it's a great shame they couldn't quite find enough of an audience to continue as a viable band anymore.

The Bravest Man In The Universe
The Bravest Man In The Universe

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - Not a Classic, 11 May 2013
I read so many positive reviews of this CV, I couldn't believe I could go wrong with buying it. It's just my opinion, but this is nothing like a Bobby Womack album, and I have a lot of them in my collection.

Ever since I saw Bobby 30 years ago at Hammersmith Odeon on the Poet 2 tour, I've been a huge fan, and have seen him live over 10 times. Like another legend that's a favourtie of mine, Gil Scott-Heron, these "comeback" albums can be hit and miss. With Gil's album last year, it was a massive success, but this one just leaves me cold.

The quality of the songs is just not there. Or if I put it another way, they don't suit Bobby. It's not about him doing 100th Street again, as I think there are different eras of his music, from the 60's classic soul period, the 70's and the Poet/So Many Rivers period, all of which I love.

He will always be the greatest soul man for me, and I look forward to seeing him live again in London, but this album doesn't work for me. The only bonus about buying this is I have a number of his albums on constant rotation in the car to remind of me of what a genuis he is.

SOULFULLY LIVE IN THE CITY OF ANGELS
SOULFULLY LIVE IN THE CITY OF ANGELS

5.0 out of 5 stars Glenn Hughes Live (s), 22 Jun. 2006
I have to start with a confession, I'm a big Glenn Hughes fan. But, and there's a big but, not all his studio albums hit the mark. Highlights over the recent years are both HTP albums, Fused (with Tony Iommi), the last GH Album, Soul Mover, and most definitely, Live in the City of Angels.

Chad Smith from the Chili Peppers is on drums, with the excellent regular guitarist JJ Marsh beside him, and this album highlights Glenn's career to perfection over 2 discs, which make for an outstanding double live CD.

In chronoligical order, we get several tracks from Trapeze, including the classic ballad, Coast to Coast (also featured on Hughes Thrall), Mistreated and 3 Purple tracks from Mark 4, with the highlight being the Hughes/Bolin track Gettin' Tighter. First Step of Love from Hughes Thrall is in there, plus a selection of solo tracks from the last few albums, with Written All Over Your Face the highlight.

Seeing Glenn live is one of the highlights of any year, as the man has one of the best voices in rock music, which is why genuine rock giants such as Chad Smith and Tony Iommi want to work with the man.

This CD highlights his songwriting, great bass playing and most of all that voice. "The Voice of Rock" has never sounded in such great form. Cast aside any doubts you might have, and pick up one of the best double live albums ever recorded. Glenn Hughes rocks.