Profile for Maria H Music > Reviews

Maria H Music

Elements of Pantheism; A Spirituality of Nature and the Universe. 3rd Edition
Elements of Pantheism; A Spirituality of Nature and the Universe. 3rd Edition
Price: 4.33

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must read' if you want to know anything about Naturalistic or Scientific Pantheism, 27 Feb 2014
Paul Harrison is the foremost authority on any and all Pantheist subjects, the 'father' of modern Pantheism. Calm, intelligent, well researched and thought out view of this 'life philosophy', without any exaggeration or melodrama. His strong common sense leaves you feeling he has voiced everything you've always known deep inside but were unable to clarify till now. This is LIFE!

Them: Adventures with Extremists
Them: Adventures with Extremists
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Both funny and eye opening, 27 Feb 2014
I got this book after reading Men Who Stare at Goats and then The Psychopath Test. If you like them then you can be fairly certain you'll like this one too. By now I can hear Ewan McGregor speaking all through ALL the books, (after seeing the film Men Who Stare at Goats) and his character is exactly the same through all of them.
You have the feeling that these 'extremists' are not quite as alien nor anywhere near as scary as conspiracy theorists would have you believe, and at times they're just rather ludicrous... and then you also get a few eye openers and chills.

A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues Books 1-5: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 27 Feb 2014
I bought the books after seeing and enjoying the TV series (1 - 3) and I think that's probably the best way to do it, because if you like the TV series you'll love the books. They flesh out the story and particularly the background history, while having seen the series I find I see the actors and hear their voices as I read.
If you like Stephen Donaldson, Tolkien, Anne McCaffrey and Frank Herbert, I think you can be fairly guaranteed to enjoy George R.R.Martin.. though he is not nearly as masterful in his words and style as Tolkien, he makes up for it in fantastic storylines and vivid characters, and is much, much, more adult in both plot and personalities. It's actually 7 books in all, and I only got them recently so I'm only on to book 3 just now. Maybe I'll update this when I've read them all...
Even just this far in I'm delighted with them, and feel they're well worth it.

Dying Embers and Shooting Stars
Dying Embers and Shooting Stars
by Maggi Sale
Price: 12.52

5.0 out of 5 stars An odyssey of self discovery, 30 Oct 2013
I can really, really, recommend this book if you want to have an insight into Scottish lifestyle (working to middle class) over the last 60 years or so, but particularly the struggles and very personal traumas that women/girls the World over far too often have to face. One very, very, remarkable woman's account of how she came to terms with her wonderfully joyful AND crushingly awful past, and inspirationally dealt with absolutely everything life can possibly throw at anyone! Beautifully written too I may add... though you may have a little difficulty here and there with the Glaswegian colloquialisms from the 'chip eaters doon the close'.. but these are not all that frequent.
For me, it's so close to my own life in many ways (just everything is more extreme.. either better or worse than my personal experiences) that it touched me more deeply than any other book I've read and left me feeling inspired and strengthened and aware of how lucky I am.. and that's no exaggeration!
I am left desperately 'hungry' for a sequel detailing, in her own inimitable style, this wonderful woman's adventures and achievements in Africa and elsewhere, battling against all injustice that dares to step into her view!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2013 3:32 PM GMT

Paper Statues
Paper Statues
Price: 0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Red' carpet for these paper statues, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Paper Statues (MP3 Download)
I feel the red carpet should be rolled out to welcome this debut single from Red Ronson. To me it's reminiscent of the B52's 'Love Shack' or REM's 'Shiny Happy People' but very much in 2013... young and energetic and individual and 'shiny'!