Profile for mjns > Reviews

mjns (UK)

The Best Of Eddie Cochran
The Best Of Eddie Cochran

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Listening..., 10 Feb. 2007
For those of you familiar with the music of the late Eddie Cochran I need not say much regarding what is offered here on these two discs as you yourself will know that Eddie Cochran made music that was worth investing in.

For those of you who don't know much about Eddie Cochran then I recommend this collection as it gives an overview of not only his most popular releases but also overlooked and unreleased recordings. Eddie Cochran was a fine guitar player for his day and one of the most influential rockabilly guitarists and performers. He was a direct influence on artists such as the Beatles, Brian Setzer and even Marc Bolan of T-Rex.

One of the standout tracks on the CD is 'Eddie's Blues', which is an instrumental consisting of Eddie tearing it up with mean licks that are reminiscent of Link Wray's 'Rumble' among other ferocious rockabilly recordings.

Many of his records, if not all, focus on the subject matter of teenagers-which draws comparisons to Chuck Berry, however one track in particular that demands the attention of the listener is the excellent 'Three Stars' which is dedicated to Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and Big Bopper, although he never wrote the song, his execution and emotional and touching performace would have the listener believe it to be a Cochran original.

I really don't think there is much more I can say, though I felt compelled to write this review as I hope it will encourage newcomers of Eddie's music to buy it and discover what Rock & Roll was really all about!

Furthermore, unlike the other reviewer who complained of having 'playback problems' due to the copy control on the CD I feel I should mention that I experienced none of these problems and was able to rip the CD onto my PC and transfer it onto my MP3 without any hassle.