Profile for Bookfan > Reviews

Bookfan (Dorset, England)

Stargate Universe - Season 2 [DVD]
Stargate Universe - Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Carlyle

5.0 out of 5 stars An original and unpredictable show- an exciting ride., 5 July 2011
Stargate Universe defies all expectations.
Those of you unable to get hooked by predictable Hollywood storylines, in which main characters never die- this is the antidote.

Some stunning action scenes, interspaced with moments of terrific dark humour. Relatable, but flawed characters. Twists and turns that you'll never see coming.

I love Stargate Atlantis (and SG1), but the main flaw was that there is never any real tension.
I watch it, and think to myself- I know what's going to happen- Colonel Sheppard (or Colonel O'Neill) won't die- he'll find an unlikely way to save the day, and come out completely unscathed. And that's exactly what always happens- and to be honest, I do enjoy it.
But Stargate Universe is more mature than that.

There is real drama- and you care more about the characters, because you don't know how it's going to end.

We need more TV like this.
And you need more DVDs like this.

The Deep [DVD]
The Deep [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Nesbitt

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, fast paced and powerful., 10 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Deep [DVD] (DVD)
I can't quite understand the negative reviews this has had.
I found it one of the most absorbing pieces of TV I've watched in a long time. Powerful and gripping.

I frankly don't care about who the actors are, and that's the way it should be. I was watching the characters as characters, not the people who play them.
The story's how it is as well, and I was watching it as it was. I don't know if I could improve on the plot, but what's to be gained from claiming that I could?

I shall simply tell you how I felt as I watched it.
My eyes were glued to the screen. My heart was racing. I found myself caring deeply about this story, and it did not disappoint.

It was an adrenaline-filled roller-coaster ride.

A series for the BBC to be proud of.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2010 5:24 PM BST

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Angry, but well written., 28 May 2007
This review is from: The God Delusion (Hardcover)
This is not a debating society!

Just write a review if you're going to post anything, nobody really cares about you're personal opinions- stop quoting the bible and coming up with counter-arguements!

On with the review. Dawkins comes up with some very persuasive arguements, which makes the book a very thought-provoking read. It is, however, quite hard going, though if you are truly interested in the subject, you won't find it too difficult to finish. However, he does rather undermine himself with his pure and undisguised loathing for religion, with which he does get rather carried away, causing the reader to, at times, step back incredulously, and even consider putting the book down. Nevertheless, Dawkins' hooking style of writing kept me going.

Over all, it is a very interesting and well written book.

The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
by Trudi Canavan

2.0 out of 5 stars Try as I might, I couldn't get sucked in..., 27 May 2007
Having seen a few glowing reviews of this book, and slightly intrigued by the simplistic nature of the cover, I decided to buy it. Unfortunately I was sorely disappointed. The language is simplistic and fragmented at best, and at other times Trudi Canavan's writing style seems oddly strained, as if she is trying to force too long words into strangely structured sentences. It is almost as if she has gone a bit over the top with the microsoft word 'similes' tool, using it on every word she plausibly can. As a result, the book is a lumpy, unabsorbing read, which doesn't seem to keep to a uniform pace. Canavan seems to be trying to get deep inside charcters heads at some points, and then skimming over the surface just pages after. She tries to keep the action up to a maximum, skipping from one attempted 'exciting' scene to another, and so making the book more and more shallow.

The minor characters all seem to be there for the benefit of Sonea, (the main character), and they lack emotional depth, and also the illusion of a life 'outside of the book', I feel no connection to any of them, as they are all at some level, the same. The author has made the speak all the same way (not as in accent, but as in how they say things, if you get my meaning). They have all got the same basic character, and a few of them seem merely stereotypical. Also the book seems to be set on far too small a scale, as the main characters seem to find things far too convenient.

As a student of English however, I have noticed Trudi Canavan's largest short-coming - something that my teacher has been trying to hammer into my head- make the reader feel, not think. If Sonea is scared, let us feel her fear, instead of just saying 'Sonea was scared', say 'she began to shake'... whatever.

Frankly, I am sure I don't know how on Earth she became so succesful, with such a fundamentally simple book.

Ultimate X-Men Volume 7: Blockbuster TPB: Blockbuster Vol 7 (Graphic Novel Pb)
Ultimate X-Men Volume 7: Blockbuster TPB: Blockbuster Vol 7 (Graphic Novel Pb)
by Marvel Comics

4.0 out of 5 stars Pointless but good, 25 Oct. 2006
This comic shows Wolverine, Spidey, and Daredevil fighting against some unkown enemies from Wolverine's past. Fury and Black Widow also feature as more minor characters. As someone above said, it is pointless, which I agree with, but who says it needs to have a point?- true, I suppose the series could survive without it, but it was an entertaining read with some good art. Also it shows how all the characters are changing (Jean in particular). All in all a good storyline with great guest appearances (Spidey's quite funny). Don't consider skipping it.