Profile for Sam I am > Reviews

Content by Sam I am

Sam I am "The Review Raven." (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Cuore Di Tenebra - Heart Of Darkness
Cuore Di Tenebra - Heart Of Darkness
Dvd ~ James Fox
Offered by d-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Horror...the Horror!", 1 Oct 2014
This is, in my opinion, one of the finest films Nic Roeg has ever directed.
It charts Captain Marlow's journey down the congo to an inner station deep in the heart of Africa
to gather information about a wayward Ivory company agent,Kurtz.
The company directors are worried that shipments of ivory have ceased to be sent from this station
and concerned about the rumours coming out of the station concerning Kurtz.
Along the way Marlow hears further rumours. Some suggest Kurtz has gone mad, others that he is
an illuminated man.
Arriving at the outpost Marlow is able to meet Kurtz and listen to him talk and we are at last shown that
the journey Marlow has taken has been as much an interior one as a physical one.
Multi layered and complex 'Heart of Darkness.' sheds a pitiless light upon the mores and wants of our consumerist society
laying bare the half truths that pass as wisdom and goodness. It, in the person of Kurtz, speaks of older, perhaps more pure
truths, than our sanitised society can face.
This is a great film.....watch it repeatedly and new meanings can be discerned with each viewing.
Wholeheartedly reccomended !

Booze: River Cottage Handbook No.12
Booze: River Cottage Handbook No.12
by John Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluble Handbook., 2 April 2014
Booze: River Cottage Handbook No 12 is quite simply the best book of its kind available.
Personally I concentrate more on the infusions section but I'm sure that the wine, Cider and
Beer chapters are equally as informative.
The sheer variety of infusions mentioned boggles the mind and I have been busy making Pomegrante Rum,
Raspeberry Vodka and the much praised Rhubarb Vodka in readiness for Christmas 2014.
On my to do list are:
1: Rosehip Vodka.
2:Blackberry Whisky.
3:Haw Gin.
4:Cherry Brandy.
5:Orange Liqueur.
6:Dandelion Brandy.
7:Watermint Vodka.
and lastly Elderflower Vodka.

It makes for a far more varied drink selection over Christmas if you get these infusions made and
bottled before the festive season. Friends and relatives will be beating a path to your door.
Buy this book. I've had hours of fun making the drinks suggested !

Bjork - Greatest Hits (NEW CD)
Bjork - Greatest Hits (NEW CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bjork : A true original ., 18 Jan 2014
I sadly missed out on Bjorks career when she was at the height of her talents
and I count it as one of the most glaring mistakes that up until now she was to be found
nowhere in my CD collection.
Along with most of the population of England (at least the people I knew)I thought of her back then as a rather fey
Icelandic girl trying too hard to be quirky and as a consequence disregarded the content of her work.
Coming upon a video of hers ('Possibly Maybe') whilst trawling youtube over Christmas however changed all that and I immediately ordered this CD.
I was I must say blown away by the originality of the lyrics in this 'Greatest Hits.' collection.
From 'All is Full of Love.' right through to 'It's in our Hands.' they arrest you.
It's almost like climbing a mountain and then rounding a corner to see a magnificent view open out before you
in all it's glory and it happens time after time. I found myself by turns invigorated by the fresh air of her sentiments
and captivated by the beguiling emotional landscapes she explores and by the end felt I had been on a unique journey
with a guide of exceptional talents.
It's kind of meaningless to pick out favourites but if I was pushed I would say my top six were as follows :

1:Human Behaviour.

2:Big Time Sensuality.

3:Possibly Maybe.

4:Venus as a Boy.

5:Play Dead.

6:Joga.

Bjork is a true original so if you are looking for an X factor type singer go elsewhere
and buy the latest hyped up wannabe. If however you like to be really engaged by what you listen to
give this collection a try.
You might find yourself,like me, pleasantly suprised.

Jovan Musk Deodorant Spray for Men - 150 ml
Jovan Musk Deodorant Spray for Men - 150 ml
Offered by Online4Perfume

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets !, 2 Nov 2013
Jovan Musk oil deodorant is a name from the past that I had thought
never to hear of again as it disappeared from the high street shops some years ago.
Imagine,then,my surpise when I saw it available on Amazon.
I purchased it immediately and it is everything I remember it to be.
You really can't go wrong with it as it has a distinctive clean muskiness about it
that sets it apart from other deodorant sprays and at the price it's set at it's a real bargain.
Try it along with the aftershave and the cologne a truly great trio!

Jovan Musk Cologne Spray 88 ml
Jovan Musk Cologne Spray 88 ml
Offered by European Specials

5.0 out of 5 stars An old, old favourite !, 2 Nov 2013
Used to wear this all the time many years ago
and was suprised and pleased to see it available on Amazon once again.
It is certainly as good as I remember it to be making a stunning first impression
with its clear distinctive notes that mellow with time to a superb muskiness.
There is no cologne spray out there of a compareable price that can compare
with it:indeed it knocks many of its more expensive counterparts into
a hat.
If you are tired of your old cologne and are looking for another to take its place
that won't disappoint give this old,old favourite of mine a go and I can assure you
it will become your new favourite.

Jovan Musk Aftershave for Men - 118 ml
Jovan Musk Aftershave for Men - 118 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars A smell of distinction !, 2 Nov 2013
Jovan Musk oil for men aftershave knocks the socks off
any other aftershave available at the same price.
It is long lasting, fresh and superbly clean in its smell
and stays to mellow on the skin to a remarkable warm muskiness.
I used to wear it all the time when I was younger but then it became
impossible to get it on the high street.
I was suprised and pleased to see it available on Amazon again and when I bought and tried it
it did not disappoint my memory of it.
Give it a go if you are struggling to look for a great everyday smell and just watch yourself getting noticed !

GIORGIO ARMANI - ACQUA DI GIO M EDT 100ML SPR
GIORGIO ARMANI - ACQUA DI GIO M EDT 100ML SPR
Offered by Scent Warehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars An old favourite !, 28 Oct 2013
Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio is an old favourite of mine. It is fresh and sharp on the skin at first,
but not intrusively so, gradually mellowing to clean notes of elegance and sophistication as the day goes on.
It is my standard choice as an all round fragrance mainly because it never lets me down.
Right up till earlier this year it was my all time favourite before being spectacularly eclipsed by
Calvin Klein Euphoria Intense for men hence the four stars instead of five !

Euphoria For Men Intense by Calvin Klein Eau de Toilette Spray 100ml & Aftershave Splash 100ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mens Aftershave and EDT out there !, 6 Oct 2013
Tried this fragrance recently because someone recommended it to me
and I have to say I was blown away by it.
It has musky notes to it at first which gradually develop a lingering depth
the longer it is on your skin making it an ideal choice for a romantic night out
and it is different enough to ensure it gets remarked upon.
My old favorite was Aqua Di Gio by Armani but this has now replaced it as my fragrance
of choice.
Try it and I'm sure you will agree that, like me, you are Euphoric about this intense fragrance.

Pocket Guide to Matching the Hatch
Pocket Guide to Matching the Hatch
by Peter Lapsley

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Companion., 9 Mar 2013
The perfect book to take with you to the waters edge
to help you make informed choices about which flies to use
and which flies not to use.
It not only provides this information it also gives you an indication
of what trout are feeding upon by observing their rise forms.
In addition to all this there are sections such as:

How and why trout take flies.
Life cycles of aquatic insects.
Trigger Points, trouts vision.
Plus detailed hatch charts for rivers and stillwaters.

It all adds up to this little book being an invaluble companion at the waterside.
I for one would not now be without it.

An Angler's Hours (Medlar Angling Classics)
An Angler's Hours (Medlar Angling Classics)
by Hugh Sheringham

5.0 out of 5 stars H.T. Sheringham - The Master at Work., 23 Feb 2013
Right from the outset the tone is set in this wonderful book.
The atmospheric "At Dawn of Day". opens with an experience
that every angler can identify with; being up when the rest of the household is asleep.
Rarely has a fisherman so elequently expressed the quietness exuded by bricks and mortar
and he goes on in fine form to culminatively add to this masterpeice with such gems as;
"May Day on the Exe", "A Brace of Tench", "A Miniature Trout Stream", "The Festival of the Green Drake",
"The Mystery of a Thames Salmon","The Midland Brook", and "A Surburban Fishery".
Sheringham hailed from a time when fishermen had other interests seperate from fishing and it tells
in his writing which is thoughtful, engaging and filled with the kind of poise that modern angling
knows nothing of.
Now, I am no sentimentalist who wants to return to "more innocent days" where crickets sung in meadows through
long halcyon summers but I ask you where in modern angling "literature" can you get such content in a book on fishing
as the following passage?;

" About the middle of April you shall often see a contemplative person standing with his back to the busy throng
and his face to a fishing tackle shop.If you are in gloomy mood you may moralise at sight of him on the vanity of
human wishes,and picture to yourself the horrid gnawing at the soul of the man,the regret for holidays in past years
never to be enjoyed again; but if,on the other hand, you are cheerful and pleased with the world , you may look on him as
a pretty picture of pleasant indecision, merely perplexed as to whether he will want two dozen large March browns or three dozen,
and wondering whether the bushes are going to be as deadly to flies this year as they were last.I believe that this cheerful view
is the right one to take, for if he cannot get his holiday your angler becomes morose and avoids tackle shops and all that may
remind him of what he is loosing."

From "May Day on the Exe."

The bivvy and bite alarm brigade, who must have the best Shimano rods, the latest technology etc have lost so much and have done
fishing such an immense dis-service by their "dumbing down" of the finer feelings associated with this meditative passtime that
it is high time that fishing was reclaimed by us amatures. The publishing of the two Sheringham books by Medlar classics goes someway
to redressing the balance.
Buy this book it is superbly written.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8