Profile for Dill > Reviews

Addis Super Dry Mop Refill
Addis Super Dry Mop Refill
Offered by millstones

1.0 out of 5 stars not recommended, 22 April 2012
It didn't clean very well, it is hard to push it along the floor, and the mechanism for squeezing the water out is made of plastic and, frankly, is not strong enough for the job, - the floor was left absolutely sopping wet. I do not recommend!

Natural World - Earth Pilgrim [DVD]
Natural World - Earth Pilgrim [DVD]
Dvd ~ Satish Kumar

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended, 5 Nov. 2011
I bought this dvd, having seen the programme when it aired on tv. It is beautifully filmed, showing Dartmoor and its wildlife as it changes through the seasons. Alongside this is Satish Kumar's commentary on life, the seasons, and being what he calls an 'Earth Pilgrim'. I have watched it many times now and it never loses its appeal. (If you have a large screen tv so much the better, as some of the scenery is really breathtaking)

Arvo Pärt: A Portrait
Arvo Pärt: A Portrait

4.0 out of 5 stars recommended, 5 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Arvo Pärt: A Portrait (Audio CD)
This is a fine selection of Arvo Pärt's music, and the booklet which comes with it provides some interesting background info on the composer and the pieces. The CD is worth getting for the beautiful and haunting first track: Fur Aline alone! There were some tracks where I wasn't so taken with this particular recording of them (for example I much prefer Tasmin Little playing Spiegel im Spiegel) but that's just my preference.

Assume Crash Position
Assume Crash Position
Offered by positivenoise

4.0 out of 5 stars lively, African music (Dem.Rep.Congo), 5 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Assume Crash Position (Audio CD)
Another album from Congotronics. Energetic and upbeat tunes from Konono Nr 1! A lot of thumb-piano, drums and strong vocals.

You are Therefore I am: A Declaration of Dependence
You are Therefore I am: A Declaration of Dependence
by Satish Kumar

4.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 5 Nov. 2011
If you enjoy Satish Kumar's writings you will like this book. Some parts of the book probably have been touched upon already in his autobiography, but this doesn't detract from it being an inspiring read by a remarkable person.

Fish Can Sing (Panther)
Fish Can Sing (Panther)
by Halldór Laxness

4.0 out of 5 stars an unusual and enjoyable book, 5 Nov. 2011
This is the only book I have read by this author, so I can't compare it to his other works. I enjoyed the narrative style, which I likened to a conversation, - the main character (Alfgrimur) addressing the reader in a chatty sort of style and telling them various anecdotes about his life.

It is a very quirky and intriguing book. It is not fast-paced (!), and we are introduced to a number of characters and situations. One reviewer about sums it up in my opinion when he mentions the 'mad hilarity of the Icelandic sensibility'.

Tikki Tikki Tembo
Tikki Tikki Tembo
by Arlene Mosel

3.0 out of 5 stars good story but beware flimsy cover!, 4 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Tikki Tikki Tembo (Paperback)
As above, really. I ordered this book as a present for a three and a five year old, but just wanted to warn that the Paperback edition of this book, while inexpensive, is rather flimsy and I'm not sure how long it'll last. I would recommend you get the hardback version.

Reflections on a Mountain Lake: Teachings on Practical Buddhism
Reflections on a Mountain Lake: Teachings on Practical Buddhism
by Tenzin Palmo

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting and enjoyable to read, 4 Nov. 2011
This book contains wisdom and insight from respected Buddhist nun Ani Tenzin Palmo, formerly from the UK and now living in India. It is based on a series of talks she gave in the US in 1996-7 and in Australia 1998.

In the first chapter she talks about her life, from her beginnings in the East End of London to living out her chosen Path as a Buddhist nun, living in Asia. Later chapters then go on to talk about various aspects of Buddhism, including the `nature of mind', and `difficult points for westerners'. Each chapter of the book starts with a talk, which is followed by a question and answer session.

I recommend this book. Ani Tenzin Palmo's approach is both intellectual and down to earth. I think it will appeal to a range of people, from those with just an interest in Buddhism and mindfulness to those who are practicing Buddhists and wanting more detail about various aspects of the Dharma.

The Restaurant of Love Regained
The Restaurant of Love Regained
by Ito Ogawa

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 4 Sept. 2011
After hearing about this book on the radio I decided to track it down. It was an enjoyable read and I recommend it, and especially for those interested in Japanese culture and/or food (!)
I personally didn't have problems with the translation, - it read fluently and where there was no English equivalent, for example for some of the japanese foods, they've just put it in italics.
Overall, I would say it's a quirky, quiet sort of book, but I found it gripping from the first page.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3