Profile for Gerald L > Reviews

Mother Tongue: The Story of the English Language
Mother Tongue: The Story of the English Language
by Bill Bryson

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 12 Aug 2014
There is no real information you would not have already read elsewhere. The difference really is the style and the author. It is highly readabel and accessible, a light read rather than a reference book.

A Short History Of Nearly Everything
A Short History Of Nearly Everything
by Bill Bryson

1.0 out of 5 stars be aware, too heavy for me, 12 Aug 2014
Sorry, I hate to buy a book and not finish it, but unfortunately I found this heavy going as far too technical. I passed my copy on to a work colleague and he found the same. Maybe it will appeal to some more science minded than I am, definitely not my cup of tea.

Fred Basset Slim Appointment Calendar 2015
Fred Basset Slim Appointment Calendar 2015
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

4.0 out of 5 stars Same as ever, humour and gently sceptical, 7 Aug 2014
always enjoyable and gives a mild happy outsider view of life in a gentle humorous way.way. An ideal gift if you need to post, although I was usrprized last year at cost of posting to a distant friend.

The Neutrals
The Neutrals
by Denis J. Fodor

2.0 out of 5 stars be aware, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Neutrals (Hardcover)
I have not studied book yet so review may be premature. Low marking is because I had not realized the book was mainly photographs supported by text rather than a serious study of the subject in book form.

The First World War: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
The First World War: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Michael Howard

4.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend as a short analysis of the war although it ..., 7 Aug 2014
exceptional;piece of writing. very succinct and clear judgments,well argued and accessible. I would recommend as a short analysis of the war although it woudl be advisable to have a general knowledge of events first.

Nike Men's Distance 9 Inch Short - Night Factor/Sea Spray/Reflective Silver, Large

3.0 out of 5 stars I was slightly disappointed. They were reasonable value for money, 7 Aug 2014
I was slightly disappointed. They were reasonable value for money, but really only good for beach or pool. They are rather thin nylon and i doubt if they will wear that well. I think their flimsiness should be made clear, not really suitable for summer wear except as swimwear.

Chronicles of Wasted Time - Volumes I & II in a Single Volume
Chronicles of Wasted Time - Volumes I & II in a Single Volume
by Ian Hunter

3.0 out of 5 stars Variable, 28 July 2014
I admired Muggeridge as a journalist. He had a brilliance with language. Sadly I found much of his autobiographical writing devoid of the spark and wit of , for example, his book on the 1930's. The style is stilted, I suspect because he was dictating rather than writing, so at times the language is inflated and the structure is of the same pattern, with at the end of each paragraph a cynical 'put down'of what he has just said. It is worth a read if you rememberer him at his best before he became the front of religious programmes on BBC such as the 'Question Why' if I recall correctly. He ended up rather a pompous sanctimonious parody of himself, but I am perhaps too critical and these should be considered as part of his whole 'opera' of journalism.

Charles V
Charles V
by Otto Von Habsburg

3.0 out of 5 stars recommended, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Charles V (Hardcover)
I doubt if there is anything original beyond a distinguished European statesman writing the life of an ancestor. I read this as part of my history course. The book is interesting and well translated and accessible, but no real insights.

The Thirties: 1930-1940 In Great Britain
The Thirties: 1930-1940 In Great Britain
by Malcolm Muggeridge

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine piece of journailsm, 28 July 2014
I was surprized to be first to review this book. Many satirists have acknowledged a debt to Muggeridge, especially this book. The style is full of bounce and has even a bit of humour. It is not to be confused with the sanctimonious character on religious TV shows in the 1960.s who converted to the RC Church and spoke well of right wing Catholic governments all over the world including Spain. By the time he wrote his autobiography he had lost his touch. The style is rambling with the same structure paragraphs, usually three sentences with a final one that questions the worth of the previous three and fondness of pompous phrases and unusual inflated words. This is fine journalism, maybe a lesson we can all be irritating sanctimonious bores in old age. Well worth a read just to appreciate the style of writing.

Oswald Mosley
Oswald Mosley
by Robert Skidelsky

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Oswald Mosley (Paperback)
This is an outstanding book,well researched. There is a caveat that unti lthis book all the literature on Mosley had been biased against him. By redressing the balance the author has been accused of excusing the excesses of the BUF. However, the violence was a reaction to organized attempts to disrupt meetings and whilst teh BUF to some extent used the violence to attract publicity if the movement had been ignored it might have withered as Union Movement did after WW2. Keynes is out of fashion so some of the analysis might be dated. It is none teh less a good read, well written and researched. later writers have the benefit of more sources and official files, but for time it is written it fits well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10