Profile for bridgetjones > Reviews

Content by bridgetjones

bridgetjones "lizzylou21" (Mighty North of England)

Moon Safari
Moon Safari
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars I pity anyone who hasn't got a copy of this cd., 1 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Moon Safari (Audio CD)
Without a doubt Moon Safari has firmly lodged itself in my top ten albums of all time. With each listen it just seems to get better and better and the songs are so rich in depth that there is always something new to be heard. Personal favourites are La Femme D'Argent, Kelly Watch The Stars, All I Need and New Star In The Sky- but each song in it's own way is beautiful. I think its a rare quality in a cd when you find that you can listen from start to finish without the temptation to skip eating away at you and I think Moon Safai definately has that quality.

Regardless of your musical allegiance I'd advise anyone who knows anything about music to get a copy of this cd or risk being the object of pity amongst the rest of us who worship the ground that Air walk on.

What are you waiting for??

The Kick Inside
The Kick Inside

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 24 Mar. 2006
This review is from: The Kick Inside (Audio CD)
Having first listened to this album aged 12 ( I'm now 17) I still get goosebumps all down the back of my neck. The idea that Kate concieved this album at a similiar age to me now just blows my mind. I now own 5 Kate Bush albums( Lionheart, Never For Ever, Hounds of Love, Aerial) yet there is still something about her debut that draws me in more than the others. I don't think it's because of a superiority in quality, I think it's because it was the first album I ever heard that took me somewhere else. All my friends at that time were listening to Westlife and Atomic Kitten, which I've never been into. 5 years on they all look back in embarrassment, whereas I am still getting the same satisfaction from this beautifully constructed masterpiece.
My personal favourites on the album are Wuthering Heights( which completely captures the beauty of the book), Room For The Life, and Moving), which makes me want to weep everytime i hear the chorus).
Anyway,I've completely rambled on and I'm probably not making much sense, but what I'm trying to say is listen to it ( preferably in a darkened room-so much more effective!)

Back To Bedlam
Back To Bedlam
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars What is it with everyone?, 22 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Back To Bedlam (Audio CD)
I really can't believe how many people have bought this album and fallen in love with it. After listening to it I felt like all the life had been drained out of me. Lyrically he has absolutely no depth whatsoever. All his songs drone on in the same way, and if you watch him playing the guitar live, theres no variation at all in the chords he plays. I'm sorry to have to break it to all you fanatics out there but he's got no real talent. Sure, he can hold a note, and write pop melodies- I suppose- but just compare him to other singer-songwriters . Rufus Wainwright, Jeff Buckley,Joseph Arthur, David Gray. James Blunt does not stand up in comparison.
If you want to hear what real talent sounds like then pick up a copy of "Grace" by Jeff Buckley and "Want" by Rufus Wainwright. Wake up please, I'm begging you.

Stars of CCTV
Stars of CCTV
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

2.0 out of 5 stars You've no idea how disappointed I am after listening to this, 12 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Stars of CCTV (Audio CD)
Before I lay into the album, I just want to make it clear that I have listened to it and I'm not just shouting my mouth off because I feel like it. I honestly am disappointed with this album. I bought it with very high hopes after hearing Hard to Beat and Tied Up Too Tight but they, for me, were the only highlights on the mediocre album. Every other song seemed to drone on with the same coma inducing sound and the vocals are nothing special.
I hate the fact that the media have bigged Hard Fi up as being the saviours of British rock or whatever they are being called today. To me they seem arrogant and determined to bring up their working class background at every opportunity. Enough already.
Also, while I'm complaining, I've heard nothing from the lead singer except " Our album only cost £250 to make and Coldplay's cost millions bla bla bla". Quite frankly, I couldn't care less how much your album cost, it's the final result that's important and that's whats lacking.
If you're looking for good, solid British music to be truly proud of, then I would suggest the following:Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand, Editors,Tom Vek, Muse, Radiohead, Bloc Party and Arctic Monkeys to name but a few. Please don't buy this album unless you're certain you will like it otherwise you will be gutted....having said that, the artwork on the album cover is pretty impressive I have to say.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2016 12:38 PM BST

Trains to Brazil
Trains to Brazil
Offered by actionrecords

5.0 out of 5 stars Flying High with Guillemots, 12 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Trains to Brazil (Audio CD)
On the 11th December I saw Guillemots live in Preston as they were the support act for the amazing Rufus Wainwright and I was completely blown away by how unusually brilliant they were. Fyfe Dangerfield has such charisma about him that I couldn't bring myself to take my eyes from him. This particular single is fantastic and perfectly showcases their stunning ability as a band. They are definately THE group to watch out for this year and in Dangerfield we have the perfectly fascinating blend of style and charm that is essential for a truly stunning front man. Need I say more?

The L Word - Season 1 - Complete [DVD]
The L Word - Season 1 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Beals
Offered by Clearance Game Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars How good is The L Word?!, 14 Oct. 2005
I've fallen in love with the L Word it's official!Everything about it is perfect-the acting, the scripts, the setting, the music.The show has that rare quality- the ability to make you laugh and cry in the same episode and its that unpredictability that i love about it. All the actresses are great but if i were to list my top three they would be:
1.Leisha Hailey(Alice)
2.Jennifer Beals(Bette)
3.Erin Daniels(Dana)
Although to be fair they are all amazing but withsome of them, like Jenny and Tina, we only really get to know them personally in the second series.
Anyway, i would seriously recommend this series to anyone and everyone.Buy it and enjoy but be warned... you will soon become obsessed!

X&Y
X&Y
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge for yourself, 14 Oct. 2005
This review is from: X&Y (Audio CD)
PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS REVIEW.Not that its particularly good but if you haven't yet bought the album and are thinking of doing so then read carefully. A couple of years ago, i think when rush of blood came out, everyone jumped on the bandwagon and said that Coldplay were officially the best band in the world and they were basically hyped up by the media to the extreme. this has resulted in a HUGE backlash with people now refusing to listen to Coldplay as, now they are more mainstream, they aren't "cool" enough. Well, all i can say is please ignore everything you hear about Coldpay, good or bad, and judge for yourself.I know i love x and y as i loved parachutes and rush of blood.if you liked their previous material you will also fall in love with this album. But if nothing they have done before has struck you as being brilliant. then you are not going to like this album.But please, judge for yourself and don't be influenced by what you hear, because it's easy to copy what the media says, whether they are praising or having a go.Hey, you know what, just buy it- it's great.
My personal favourite tracks are A Message, X&Y, White Shadows and Kingdom Come.

Fingersmith [2005] [DVD]
Fingersmith [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elaine Cassidy
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 29 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Fingersmith [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
When i heard that Fingersmith was being made into a tv programme i was so excited because Sarah Waters is one of the most talented writers alive today. I intially was worried about how much they would change the book but thankfully, they did a really good job with the way the storyline flowed. I honestly cant think of anyone more capable to play Sue than Sally Hawkins.She was superb and so was Elaine Cassidy-the chemistry they had was amazing.
If you haven't already seen this programme what the hell are you waiting for??Buy it now otherwise you're just living your life in ignorance!

Talkie Walkie
Talkie Walkie
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 29 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Talkie Walkie (Audio CD)
I know that this album from the brilliant french duo Air is undoubtedly going to be compared to their masterpiece Moon Safari and in my opinion that prevents people from fully appreciating just how good this album is..Air have gone back to what they do best- dreamy, romantic, futuristic chillout music and this formula works so well.
My personal favourite songs are Universal Traveller, Run, Alone In Kyoto and Cherry Blossom Girl but they are all excellent songs.
If you approach Talkie Walkie without judging or comparing it to Moon Safari you'll get a lot out of this album.Enjoy.

Ingenue [CASSETTE]
Ingenue [CASSETTE]
Offered by horizons-usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry In Motion, 5 Feb. 2005
In all honesty I have to say that Ingenue would rate in my top 10 albums of all time- it is that good.My personal favourites on the album are The Mind Of Love, Outside Myself and Wash Me Clean but every single song is a glorious masterpiece. i would urge anyone with an ounce of intellegence to go and buy this album-it'll be the best purchase you ever make!