Profile for M. Broom Smith > Reviews

Content by M. Broom Smith

M. Broom Smith "purpleski" (Bromyard Uk)

The Education of a Value Investor: My Transformative Quest for Wealth, Wisdom, and Enlightenment

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational must read for value investors everywhere, 1 Jan. 2015
I can't remember how I heard about this book or Guy Spier and whether I heard about Guy Spier first or his book. However I think I will look back at the moment I finished reading this book as a life changing moment.

Everybody who takes investing (and life?) seriously, even if they are not pure value investors (as I intend to be) should read this (and to be honest so should speculators/gamblers as it might save them a whole heap of money.)

This is simply an amazing and inspiring book from which almost anybody can learn something about themselves. Mr Spier has said that this is probably his first and last book because he is not a natural author; I would beg to differ and hope it is not. I would also add that many people will think we have heard of Mr Spier because he paid $1.6m to have lunch with Warren Buffett but it is my belief that we would have heard of him anyway.

The book is part autobiographical, part value investing guide and part self help book. If you are open to what Mr Spier has to say then you will find an awful lot to help you negotiate life. It is frank and honest and open. I am going to read it again after reading Security Analysis (which I had not had the courage to start until reading this book) and Margin of Safety. I would also watch many of the interviews/talks on YouTube (particularly the one given at the Googleplex just three months ago) to enhance your understanding about what Mr Spier has to say.

Happy reading!

The Death Trade (Sean Dillon Series, Book 20)
The Death Trade (Sean Dillon Series, Book 20)

1.0 out of 5 stars Just Aweful - did this really get past his publisher, editor etc, 11 Aug. 2014
If I could give this no stars I would. This book is simply riseable. From memory I have only read one other JH book - "The Eagle has Landed" and at the time I remember it being a brilliant, taught, believable and well plotted book, with interesting well rounded characters. This Higgins is the complete opposite and one would almost believe it was written by a ghost writer, if not perhaps it is time for the 85 year old Mr Patterson to put his pen away and enjoy the fruits of his labours of the past 60 years.

These type of thrillers don't necessarily need to be based on truth, they just have to be believeable or at least 90% believeable as TEHL was. At the end of reading it one really beleived that Higgins had come across some secret documenting about a plot to kidnap Churchill and turned it into a book. The Death Trade (DT), where do I start? The dialog is appalling, conference calls on Skype from aeroplanes, leaden plot, alchol consumption to knockout an elephant, pilots drunk on vodka who then fly within 10 minutes, special phones called codexes, note books with codes, Iran army officers with Irish mothers and recently inherited estates in Ireland (all these might be true but JH does not make you believe it so).

This book is aweful please don't buy it and I certainly won't be buying another Jack Higgins.

The World We Made: Alex McKay's Story from 2050
The World We Made: Alex McKay's Story from 2050
by Jonathon Porritt

1.0 out of 5 stars Porritt at Hay, 30 May 2014
I have just been to listen to Porritt at the Hay book festival and while I don't agree with much of his politics, I do believe, for instance, that economic growth will remain the way that we lift people out of poverty, I do agree with his precept that we do it in a sustainable way and that our energy sources should come from renewables.

I rushed home to buy his book for my kindle (to read and perhaps challenge my predjucices about JP and his ilk) only to find he is not distributing his book in sustainable and low carbon way.

So until he is I won't be reading his book.

Come on Mr Porritt walk the talk.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2014 10:42 PM BST

Stem iZON 2.0 WiFi Video Monitor for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
Stem iZON 2.0 WiFi Video Monitor for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
Offered by DiscountDiscs

1.0 out of 5 stars Just aweful, 2 Sept. 2013
I read about this on web site and was excited about the product, an easy cheap camera that I could use with my iPad. Incredibly disappointing. Trying to connect this to my iPad has been impossible. Obviously I will keep trying but I am not hopeful. Dont buy this product it is useless.

Griffin GB35116 Survivor Military Duty Case with Stand for New iPad 3 and iPad 2 - Green/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent case, 16 Jun. 2013
This does exactly what it says it will and offers as much protection that most iPad users will ever need. I bought this to pretect my iPad on my beach holiday last week and it was great. I just did not have to worry about sand, water splashes, oil, dirt or just throwing it in to the back of he car or if I was unluck enough to drop my ipad. I didn't but feel that the Griffin Survivor would protect the iPad if it was dropped.

Can not recommend it enough.

Lifedge Rokk Adjustable Rail,Mount for Surface Mount Kit
Lifedge Rokk Adjustable Rail,Mount for Surface Mount Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but only if you absolutely must have a 100% water proof case, 16 Jun. 2013
If you are using your ipad in a situation where it is likely to get very wet then this is a must and it will do the job but if you are just looking for splash protection, then it is simply to much hassle as you can not charge the iPad with the case on and getting the case on and off is hard work.

So if you are in extreme conditions: yachting/boating, canoeing, trekking in a very humid climate or in any environment where there is a high chance of immersion then I would get this case. But if you are looking for something for the beach or less extreme conditions get the Griffin Survivor case, which I also have and is excellent. Even then I would look at the Nuud Lifeproof case which though expensive looks lovely.

So in summary

Pros:
completely water proof
Very well made

Cons
Very hard to fit and remove and impossible without the supplied tools so of you lose them...
Can not charge without removing the cover
Screen cover is not actually a tight fit to the iPad screen.

Logitech Harmony 525 Advanced Universal Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 525 Advanced Universal Remote Control

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed with Logitech Harmony 525 Universal Remote, 22 Jun. 2009
I bought this after looking at a number of remote controls and assumed that it would be simple to set up. No such luck. I have tried installing the software on two computers and still can not connect to the Logitech web site. It is overley complex and if I could I would buy something else. Probably a Sony. Stay clear.

How the English Made the Alps
How the English Made the Alps
by Jim Ring

4.0 out of 5 stars A review of the growth of climbing and tourism in the Alps, 28 Jan. 2002
This is an excellent and very readable history from the early 19th century to the mid 20th century of the English/British "colonisation" of the Alps and their contribution to mountaineering, tourism, skiing and the economy of the Alpine region.
It may irritate continental Europeans because it is very English centric but the impression is that the English (or should Jim Ring have used the word British?) were a huge force in the change that came about in the Alps in the 19th and 20th centuries, because they were the ones who had the money to spend.
For me the main faults are that it is mainly about mountaineering and that it does not follow through about the English contribution to such resorts such as Méribel and Val d'Isere, which owe an awful lot to the English gentlemen skier and would give the book a link to modern British visitors to the Alps who rarely, I think it would be true to say, climb the Matterhorn!
Any body who has an interest in the Alps should read this book.