Profile for G. J. Llewellyn > Reviews

Send Me No Flowers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Doris Day
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars What's wrong with it?, 8 Dec 2007
This review is from: Send Me No Flowers [DVD] (DVD)
I think this is the best of the trio - a delight from start to finish. OK, not a great film for the serious critic but for someone who wants a funny, feel-good experience it's perfect. Well put together, well edited and with excellent performances, not only from the three stars, but from the supporting cast: Paul Lynde's enthusiastic cemetery manager is one of the highlights and Hal March is great as the womaniser looking for recently-bereaved conquests. Then there's the enormous Clint Walker squeezing out of his E-type Jag...
I've seen Citizen Kane but don't want to see it again. This, though, I can watch time and time again; isn't that why we buy dvds rather than just renting or borrowing them?

Netgear WG111 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter  Network Card
Netgear WG111 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter Network Card

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work for me, 10 Oct 2007
Having had trouble with a Belkin adaptor, I bought this as a replacement. But, when I plug it in, Windows says it's an unknown device. So that's that. Wish I hadn't got it while on holiday.

Belkin 802.11g Wireless G USB Network Adapter for Win 2000/ME/XP/Vista
Belkin 802.11g Wireless G USB Network Adapter for Win 2000/ME/XP/Vista

2.0 out of 5 stars A new problem or is it my PC?, 10 Oct 2007
I've read all the reviews of this item but none of them mentions the problem I'm experiencing. I installed the adaptor nearly a year ago and most of the time it works OK, although the connection keeps dropping out (probably because of a weak signal here in the sticks - all of three miles from the exchange).

For the last three months or so, though, I've been getting the dreaded blue screen that shuts down the PC. This was caused by a RT73.sys file which eventually I discovered belongs to the Belkin adaptor. I've downloaded the update but the same thing happened within half an hour. In despair I bought a Netgear WG111 but Windows says, when the adaptor is plugged in, "unknown device in USB port; reinstal and if no result replace the device".

So, at the moment I can have internet access and the excitement of wondering when the PC will shut down.

Panasonic TX-32LXD70 - 32" Widescreen Viera HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview
Panasonic TX-32LXD70 - 32" Widescreen Viera HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture!, 21 Jun 2007
I can't compare this with other LCD TV's because this is my first, but I'm very satisfied so far. I intended to get a Philips but I was assured that there was nothing better than the Panasonic; I can't see any reason to doubt it. As well as the picture quality which, presumably, would be even better if I had access to HD (haven't upgraded my Sky package), I'm happy with the easy set-up, the helpful manual and the remote control. Even my wife is impressed, after being appalled at the idea of spending a substantial sum on replacing a 24 inch CRT which she thought was adequate enough.

I like the ability to have teletext and picture on screen at the same time; the only thing it lacks that I intended to have on the Philips is the USB port for viewing JPEG photos but you can do that anyway through a dvd player. There's also PC access if you want it.

Local Heroes: The Story of the Derbyshire Team Which Won the County Championship
by John Shawcroft

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a cricket book..., 18 Jun 2007
John Shawcroft wrote the Derbyshire volume in the Christopher Helm History of County Cricket series (published in 1989) so he knows all about Derbyshire cricket. Unfortunately, there are few detailed accounts of individual county teams' experiences in particular seasons before the war, perhaps because the championship was usually won by a handful of counties, although Clive Porter produced an excellent account of Kent's first win in 1906.

Mr Shawcroft writes with an authority based on experience and research of a team which, unlike those of today, was composed almost entirely of home-grown talent. Many of the players having escaped from the mines, this is a social history as well as a cricket book. He describes the gradual development of a side which rose from the also rans to one that, in 1936, was a match even for Yorkshire and Lancashire who dominated the county game between the wars. The description of the successful season doesn't start until chapter 28, so that one is able to appreciate how it came about. There are pen portraits of the players and others who contributed during the period under review and scorecards of the 1936 matches.

In short, this is highly recommended, not just to Derbyshire supporters, but to anyone with a fondness for or an interest in the county game that has undergone so many changes in recent years.

4.0 out of 5 stars A year later, 27 Nov 2005
I wrote a favourable review a year ago. Since then, there have been various complaints in other people's reviews but nobody seems to have mentioned a problem that has affected my machine recently.
Two (pre-recorded) discs have played as they should for about an hour and then stopped. No amount of replaying makes any difference; they keep stopping at the same chapter and the fast play just grinds to a halt. Faulty discs? No, they play OK in another (cheap) machine. Has anybody else experienced this?
Otherwise, I can only repeat that after a considerable amount of recording and playback the quality is fine, even at the six hours mode.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine, so far, 29 Oct 2004
This is my first dvd recorder so I can't offer any comparisons. However, I've read reviews of numerous models of different manufacturers and noted various reservations. Reviews seem to vary from: "Wonderful, get rid of the video!" to "Don't touch this with a bargepole". There seems to be an element of luck as to whether it works at all or for how long it keeps working. So, if I say I'm very pleased with the 610, it's with fingers crossed!
I'll admit that, after I'd set it up according to the instructions I wasn't happy with the relationship with Sky and the VCR. So I paid someone to do it differently and ended up with about four fewer leads and the ability to record on tape and disc and watch TV at the same time. Perhaps this problem was peculiar to my configuration so I haven't deducted a star on that account.
By now wyn59 has probably discovered that, if he holds down the stop button rather than just touching it, the tray opens. If it doesn't there must be a fault. I do find the remote control a bit too small. Unless you have very good vision it's difficult to read the alphanumeric buttons when you're inputting title names. (By the way, the manual doesn't tell you how to do that - perhaps it assumes that everybody's doing it on their mobile phones.) Some of the buttons require a fingernail rather than a finger. You can select a frame to use as an index picture, as well as giving each episode, etc a name.
As for picture quality, I've found M3 (three hours) perfectly acceptable, in fact indistinguishable from the source. Some people say they aren't satisfied with anything less than highest quality but they must be very perceptive or exceedingly fussy.
Be patient with getting used to the controls and I think you'll be very satisfied.

C.B.Fry: King of Sport
C.B.Fry: King of Sport
by Iain Wilton

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent combination of author and subject, 19 Jan 2003
This review is from: C.B.Fry: King of Sport (Paperback)
If you came across this book in the shops you might be put off by its size, even in paperback format, but that would be a pity. This is a well researched and well written biography of a complex and fascinating man who had a number of faults but at least as many virtues and numerous accomplishments. It's hard to think of anyone else who has achieved so much in so many varied fields of human endeavour. Having read, only recently, an earlier biography of Fry, I was amazed at how much information Wilton has added. His assessments of Fry's character and achievements (and those of his infamous wife) are objective and thoughtfully discussed. If you wanted to read only one biography this would be an excellent choice, even if you aren't particularly keen on cricket; if you are, it should be essential reading.

A Social History of English Cricket
A Social History of English Cricket
by Derek Birley

2.0 out of 5 stars A left-wing assault on cricket's history, 26 Aug 2001
It may be unfashionable to say so but I'm afraid I derived little enjoyment from this book, or from the very similar "The Willow Wand" by the same author. As a social history putting cricket into context it is certainly useful and readable but the author continually betrays his socialist bias which, I suppose, is only to be expected from an academic.
Much of it reminds me of the current fashion for television documentaries which tell us how unreasonable our leaders were in that war or that crisis and how they ought not to have behaved the way they did. Yes, perhaps it's a pity the game wasn't run on a democratic basis but that's the way society was at the time and I'm not convinced that everything is so much better now it's in the hands of the professionals.
The amateurs weren't all bad, as Birley implies. Some of them did make more money from expenses than the professionals did from wages and some failed to uphold the standards expected of "gentlemen". But others played just for the fun of it, without financial reward, and were worth their place in the side. Some of the businessmen and gentry enabled counties to avoid bankruptcy; many current observers (including some who owe their current jobs to county cricket) would say, "Pity!" but, to many people, county cricket has given more pleasure than international cricket.
Birley is so biassed about amateurs that he fails to acknowledge that even a professional might have three initials: what about CWL Parker, HTW Hardinge, HAW Bowell, WRD Payton or even JEBBPQC Dwyer, from the period before the First World War?
In fact, he rarely has a good word for anybody. He describes George Emmett, who replaced Len Hutton in one of the 1948 Tests, as "very ordinary" in one book and "wholly inadequate" in the other. This is not the impression one gains from other writers such as David Foot (who wrote the glowing foreword) or Stephen Chalke and, in an interview shown on television recently, Tom Graveney evidently thought he was better than that. Birley is so dismissive of county cricket that I don't believe he can have seen much of it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2012 5:35 AM GMT